Windows optional updates. Needed or not?

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
Although I have encountered a few minor issues when applying Optional Updates on some P.C.s, I continue to install them on my own machines, subject to my comments, below.

A recent update did cause a minor glitch. Windows File Explorer began opening a huge number of Folders, at the reboot. A second reboot repaired the problem.

I also wait a week or more, post release, before installing most “things optional.” This is not restricted to Windows Optional Updates.

No fatal updates since Win7 x64.

I hope this is not redundant info.

Just bear in mind that there are so many variables, from one system to another. What works for me may not be suitable for your environment.

Judgement, research, advice and, human decision making are key.

Good luck for the future!

@TRS-80

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Before I always took all updates from Windows, but at the moment I only download security updates. Windows has so many problems at the moment with updating, that I watch what I download. No optional updates for me, at least for the moment.

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
Well, this is of course based on my experience and opinion.
If you r experienced user, I would delay the optional updated 4 days via gpedit.msc
If you use your computer a lot, and you really need it to be working... Don't bother, just install security updates, and u will be good to go. Just install optional ones if something is not working.
Also, if you plan to keep that W10 installation for long, avoid the 1st option by any mean. When W10 updates once a month + 6 months big updates... Wait 2 years and you will have a piece of crap.
However, if you format your computer often, like twice a year, you can go with all updates
After all, personally, after years, I have chosen the "just security" option. I have had to deal with lot more of problems caused because of bad updates than problems because lack of them. So bye W10 crappy updates! 😂
Well, ironically enough, since I have a PC that I format often, I installed the April cumulative.
It needed to shut down like 2/3 seconds now it takes 15 seconds.
Thanks Microsoft
But well, for the rest of my dailies and family, as I said never let them to be "beta" testers of crappy optional updates.
And about ppl saying not fatal updates since W7, I have had more problems in the last year than even before
On my Ryzen setup, March update made system glitch a lot... I reverted it and all OK. Decided to give a shot April update and now much slower shutdown...
All in all, I think I am gonna to do on my "usually-formatted" PCs as rest of PC I take care of -> LTSC + just security updates. Looks to be the only way of not having to deal with isaues every since and then
Regards!
PS: On friend computer, about 2 months ago, Ryzen, he got 1909... Result: 2 minutes to boot up and 3 minutes to shut down. LTSC + debloat -> 7 seconds to boot and 2 seconds to shut down

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
G'day @miguelang611

Regarding: “And about ppl saying not fatal updates since W7, I have had more problems in the last year than even before

I'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with Optional Updates in Win 10.

I believe I pointed out some important, qualifying information in my original post. Please refer to the now, bold, underlined statement, in my quoted comments below.

I reckon it was the March update that caused the issues mentioned, previously.

One question: Why the need for so much formatting?

I wish you and, your system well for the future.

Have a great day!

@TRS-80 :unsure:

I also wait a week or more, post release, before installing most “things optional.” This is not restricted to Windows Optional Updates.

No fatal updates since Windows 7 x64.

I hope this is not redundant info.

Just bear in mind that there are so many variables, from one system to another. What works for me may not be suitable for your environment.

Judgement, research, advice and, human decision making are key.
And about ppl saying not fatal updates since W7, I have had more problems in the last year than even before
On my Ryzen setup, March update made system glitch a lot... I reverted it and all OK.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.