Windows optional updates. Needed or not?

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
What's your opinion on Windows optional updates. Are they needed or are they just superficial?

Personally I update them all (Windows 10). I remember back in Windows XP/Vista days, there was a BUNCH of optional updates, those I ignored back then. But for Windows 10 there are really few of them.

dark_wielder

Level 2
Mar 7, 2020
Optional updates include patches to resolve minor bugs that often cause computer crashes, updates of small tools, driver updates, patches of Office programs, and various types of fixes that don't take into account the security of computers. Since your system always creates a restore point before its installation, you can also easily remove the Windows updates that are causing the errors.

I am researching and installing all updates. No harm.

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
I personally install all updates as they come out, as i feel if something goes wrong i got a Macrium Reflect system image done recently, and got system restore if needed, 90 percent of the time i haven't had any issues with any updates at all

I've been doing things the same for many years in terms of updates

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
Well, this is of course based on my experience and opinion.
If you r experienced user, I would delay the optional updated 4 days via gpedit.msc
If you use your computer a lot, and you really need it to be working... Don't bother, just install security updates, and u will be good to go. Just install optional ones if something is not working.
Also, if you plan to keep that W10 installation for long, avoid the 1st option by any mean. When W10 updates once a month + 6 months big updates... Wait 2 years and you will have a piece of crap.
However, if you format your computer often, like twice a year, you can go with all updates
After all, personally, after years, I have chosen the "just security" option. I have had to deal with lot more of problems caused because of bad updates than problems because lack of them. So bye W10 crappy updates! 😂

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Updating options is not a waste of time, but you should let them know that there are compatibility issues with your environment. Failure to update can be traumatic.
Since then, I've been nervous until the countdown reached 30%.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I install all updates out of a morbid sense of curiosity and a vague death wish. What the heck.

Surprisingly minimal problems with updates on release editions. Now ask me about some Insider builds, you'll hear differently. :mad:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Optional updates include patches to resolve minor bugs that often cause computer crashes, updates of small tools, driver updates, patches of Office programs, and various types of fixes that don't take into account the security of computers. Since your system always creates a restore point before its installation, you can also easily remove the Windows updates that are causing the errors.

I am researching and installing all updates. No harm.

Last or two last optional Windows updates rekt a lot of computers.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I personally install all updates as they come out, as i feel if something goes wrong i got a Macrium Reflect system image done recently, and got system restore if needed, 90 percent of the time i haven't had any issues with any updates at all

I've been doing things the same for many years in terms of updates

Well I think you dont have to restore system image. if there are some problem with your Windows OS/Blue Screen or whatever so Start Menu> Settings> Update & Security> Windows Update> View Update History> search KB0000000 so uninstall it, if Windows 10 cant startup then go to Safe mode then uninstall it or restore a point

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Well I think you dont have to restore system image. if there are some problem with your Windows OS/Blue Screen or whatever so Start Menu> Settings> Update & Security> Windows Update> View Update History> search KB0000000 so uninstall it, if Windows 10 cant startup then go to Safe mode then uninstall it or restore a point
But restoring a system image is safer and is worth the hassle.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I normally install security updates the Saturday after they're released, to give Microsoft time to pull a bad patch. I don't usually install optional updates, though I installed the latest one because the Bleeping Computer article implied that it would be necessary to ensure Windows Update would work properly. (I've had no problems with it.)

The last major problem I had with an update was a SHA-2 patch for Windows 7 that just wouldn't install after several tries. I had intended to put Linux Mint on that laptop, but it became moot when the power supply died.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
no no no. Don't install optional updates. They have a very high chance of causing problems
it made my laptop unbootable once I tried to install all optional update. Restored -> tried to install that update again -> unbootable

Last edited:

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
In my experience, I got major bugs in major versions updates, optional updates were fine.

Recently, I was in the pre-release insider, installed 2004 and it bugs, uninstall and restore Windows automatically to the latest version (1909) and my PC were never the same, have to re-install. Since then, with Windows re-installed, I came out of pre-release software, even being safer. Headache, luckily I got all my files in the cloud.

Updating options is not a waste of time, but you should let them know that there are compatibility issues with your environment. Failure to update can be traumatic.
Since then, I've been nervous until the countdown reached 30%.
When something goes wrong, Windows Update automatically sends feedback to Microsoft.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I usually install them. I don't think it really matters what you install, there is always going to be a small sub-set of users that have issues with any update on any OS. Virtually any update for any software can cause an issue so I roll the dice to see what happens.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.