Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Abnormal ssd writes
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Hi

So i got a big headache with this for some time now and i need some help, thanks.My ssd writes sometimes like crazy while doing nothing.I expect steam and other downloads to write but windows writes while doing nothing.So i traced the problem to windows defender.I doubt it's normal.It's a fresh windows install, 30 days i think but it was the same before.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I honestly wonder, why they have not updated the stable version of PH for 5 years? 2.39 was released in March 2016. 😱
You are right. I just checked out PH nightly. This seems to be a new feature of version 3. You made a very good point. Disk writes matters more than I/O writes, so that's something I'll monitor. It's possible that Microsoft Defender may have a higher disk writes than I/O.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

not my case. I opened Process explorer and process hacker 1 hour after boot and almost everything is 0MB for disk write bytes. I did some tasks and it started to show some Megabytes
IO write bytes showed total activity since boot
You need to run them as administrator to get the values since boot.

WD on boot is around 5MB, after a few hours is over 800MB just like OP.

Reactions: Venustus
Upvote 0

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Okay, update.5 hours on, browsing and no downloads from me.It's much better than yesterday.

View attachment 257327
View attachment 257328
Nice! Yes this looks normal (y) This is what I was talking about. Good to know that my information was correct. It's clear now once again who was spreading misinformation in the thread. The ridiculously high I/O write bytes that you saw previously was due to the fast startup.
Use your PC peacefully now. Problem solved 👏

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.