Windows Start Menu Revived by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Gone are the decades-old Microsoft logo and the Windows Start Menu in the upcoming version 8 of the OS, but, in the case of the latter, we may witness a revival.
According to online sources, Samsung won’t let it die just yet, and is bundling a launcher with its future line of Windows 8 machines called “S Launcher,” with a similar functionality.
It is a floating widget that includes the functionality of the Start Menu in Windows. You can pin programs, search for items or access various familiar areas, such as the Documents, Pictures and Music folders, Windows Control Panel, Devices and Printers or the Run menu that was part of the Start menu up to Windows XP.
Microsoft’s reason to kick the Start menu in Windows stems from the fact that telemetry data showed a decreased interest in it, especially in the wake of introducing the app pinning feature.

Windows-Start-Menu-May-Be-Revived-by-Samsung.png

Source : http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Start-Menu-May-Be-Revived-by-Samsung-288919.shtml

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Aaaahhhhh!! You beat me to it! lol

Anyhow, Even though its not the same thing as the great old legendary start menu, I think its pretty awesome Samsung is doing this :D

I think its time I should check out their PC's too.....

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I believe OEM vendors are starting to realize what Microsoft ignored.
Most users want a start menu, other OEM vendors will probably start doing the same thing as Samsung because they will be worried that users will not buy their systems with Windows 8 installed.

I can tell Microsoft is also worried, since the history of Windows, Windows 8 is the cheapest upgrade yet. I have seen promotions for $14.95 upgrade to Windows 8 for both Windows 7 and Vista.

Thanks.:D

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
of course people want their start menu,this is a dumb idea! great thing atleast samsung know how the markets works and what people want not microsoft since i guess they took a decision when their head was in their ass lol

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I love the start menu and i think its smart for Samsung to grasp the idea to put it on a phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.