Windows Update: a solution or a problem?

Do you have Windows Update enabled?

• Yes, automatic or manual

Votes: 70 87.5%
  • No, i disable it to avoid issues

Votes: 10 12.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 65228

I believe that Windows Update should be enabled and that it is best to keep software up-to-date, but I don't think it is always a good idea to just update without waiting beforehand. I've never been hit with an update which caused really bad damage (thanks to having back-ups), but I have done updates and then been put into a non-voluntary boot-loop, requiring an OS re-installation (this takes time because then you have to re-do the updates again and then you can go back into the boot-loop if the update behaves faulty again).

When we look at malware attacks, CCleaner was attacked recently for the 32-bit compiled version. People who had the latest update installed before others were at the potential centre point to becoming affected more than others. This doesn't mean I disagree the latest updates should be installed, I think they should, hopefully you will see my point though.

I don't think it is a good idea for one to not install updates period, but I can understand at the same time why this may be the case for some. It is not unknown that some companies are using older versions of Windows in their enterprise, but the reason for this may be because software being used is not supported on modern versions; general updates to an OS can cause things to break as well, and if the systems need to be used a lot or even on most of the time, it is crucial that updates are assessed in-case they can cause a big problem. The solution for them is to get the software they are using to be compatible with newer versions of Windows or after an update and to ensure the systems do become updated (because they will be more secure this way and the risk of being hit by an attack relying on an old exploit and it being successful becomes decreased), therefore I am not saying it is "acceptable" to not stay updated (of course this is bad for security).

Generally speaking, I think the latest updates should be installed, especially if they are security-related. Updates issued to patch known vulnerabilities are important because it closes off an attack vector, but the same updates will potentially introduce other attack vectors which will be found in time. Despite me thinking the latest updates should be installed, I think it is perfectly reasonable for one to wait X amount of time before going ahead with the update (e.g. waiting a week or two in-case the update has many issues which could potentially disrupt their work flow/performance or cause lots of hassle for them).

From a security point of view, of course updates should be installed; from a reliability point of view, I think that waiting a week or a few isn't all that bad depending on what the update being issued is for. I haven't installed the latest Fall Creators Update yet (even though it rolled out for me and is ready to be sorted out now) simply because I have a lot of work to get done and if there is a problem after installation which forces me to spend time resolving it out, or gets in the way of getting my work done, then I'll be behind schedule and my life becomes harder. Does this mean I won't update any-time soon? No. I'll update in a few days or a weeks time depending on my situation, and keep lurking and seeing what issues are being reported/fixed in the mean-time.

Carelessly updating can cause more problems than solved, but not always. Updating in general is an important thing to ensure you have the latest security patches installed though, thus keeping you safer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If they can do it for enterprises and governments and paying Pro users, then they can do it for everybody.

Stop using Windows 10 home user systems as guinea pigs !
They do not stop. If home users will start to delay updates, then how Microsoft will know what should be patched? The situation is somewhat similar to the free controlled medicine tests on voluntary patients. Without those tests, the pharmaceutic company could not improve the treatment. The company can say as Microsoft, that this is for the benefit of all - but I am not convinced, because of the smell of money.
If that would be a true care for home users, than delaying updates would be possible in every version of Windows.
Personally, for the better security, I always install updates. But for inexperienced users, it would be better to delay updates for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

They do not stop. If home users will start to delay updates, then how Microsoft will know what should be patched? The situation is somewhat similar to the free controlled medicine tests on voluntary patients. Without those tests, the pharmaceutic company could not improve the treatment. The company can say as Microsoft, that this is for the benefit of all - but I am not convinced, because of the smell of money.
If that would be a true care for home users, than delaying updates would be possible in every version of Windows.
Personally, for the better security, I always install updates. But for inexperienced users, it would be better to delay updates for a couple of weeks.

I think what Microsoft does on Windows 10 Home is unethical, but Microsoft will argue what they are doing is for the user's own good. If the Enterprise has the option to delay Windows Updates in the GUI, then so should the home user.

The home user can delay Windows Updates, it is just that it is by disabling the Windows Service. It is not difficult, but there is an outcry about it not being in the Settings GUI.

Microsoft is using the home user system as a guinea pig.

Let Microsoft compensate home users like they should or figure out another way to test their patches. Afterall, home users did not create the unmanageable Windows ecosystem, Microsoft and its OEM partners in crime did. It's a phrase so please don't over think it.

The ecosystem is only going to get worse.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I think what Microsoft does on Windows 10 Home is unethical, but Microsoft will argue what they are doing is for the user's own good. If the Enterprise has the option to delay Windows Updates in the GUI, then so should the home user.

The home user can delay Windows Updates, it is just that it is by disabling the Windows Service. It is not difficult, but there is an outcry about it not being in the Settings GUI.

Microsoft is using the home user system as a guinea pig.

Let Microsoft compensate home users like they should or figure out another way to test their patches. Afterall, home users did not create the unmanageable Windows ecosystem, Microsoft and its OEM partners in crime did. It's a phrase so please don't over think it.

The ecosystem is only going to get worse.

Just my opinion.

Are you talking about insider builds for home. I get them in the fast lane but you do have an option to turn them off of leave them on at a slower rate. The insider builds come out months before normal home users get them. I have had issues two times when auto update tried to do a new build. They would not install and ended in a error. I have since hot a batch file that seems to fix those issues. Only issue I have seen is still with Edge not always opening pages. A new build is just down downloading so hopefully that issues will be fixed. I know I have sent them feedback many times about this.

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
And you wonder why Malware spread so easily...

A number of folks have mentioned non-Windows updates, and in general I lump them both together. Malware spreading so easily... My first infection was back in '99, looking after a small office network, VET antivirus found the attachment, so naturally I wanted to "inspect" it... No damage thanks to entirely logical precautions, like isolating the box from the network (switch off all other machines :) and disconnect the modem). The last (second) infection was early this year when a rogue ad on Major Geeks hijacked the MG page and tried to install a Trojan, but I had CryptoPrevent locking down %Appdata\Temp% so it got exactly nowhere.

With that background, I don't normally update any software without a compelling productivity reason. Most of my work uses Lotus SmartSuite (probably classed as AbandonWare by now :eek:) and PaintShopPro v6--I've not yet seen any evidence that PhotoShop or Corel can do better. I do remember that Inkscape rendered may thousands of hours worthless by upgrading to new SVG standards with no fallback support not that long ago. And Foxit shall wait until they reinstate the Tool Bar so I don't have to suffer Strangulation by Ribbon.

I fail utterly to see the difference between an OS (and if you think Windows is bad then look at the alternatives) and productivity software--when did you see a meaningful upgrade to NotePad for instance? Not to mention the removal of the Classic Desktop in the W7-->W8 update :cry::mad:

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
not updating a software isn't the same as not updating the OS

We see the same thing through different eyes. Probably reflects my training. Probably also explains why I find current OO prgramming so very very strange :(:unsure: I see any OS as a set of apps (as in "application programs") aimed at letting mere humans do odd things with a bunch of transistors. No different really from a DTP or spreadsheet when you take them apart.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I see any OS as a set of apps
True, even though they are called Windows Updates, they are not always Windows updates per say, they update specific services, components, etc. When I was running XP with no updates/AV/firewall, I was looking up each update to see, if I really need it and over the year there was only 1 really needed, updating TCP, the rest was just updating stuff, which I had removed or disabled. As for reliability updates, if you have no problems, you do not them either. Though with 10 it is a bit complicated. :(

Plebman123

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
Even tho it does have it's flaws, such as all of these errors *common* 0x80073712, 0x800705B4, 0x80004005, 0x8024402F, 0x80070002, 0x80070643, 0x80070003, 0x8024200B, 0x80070422, 0x80070020. They do have ways to fix them on their website, etc and i would use Automatic for 2 good reasons, Security updates and Driver Updates,etc.

Reactions: RoboMan

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I firmly state and believe Windows Update should be turned on literally on every system. Updates should be on on every informatic device, wether it's Windows, Linux, Mac or whatever. They suppose a great addition of security to the daily life.

Nevertheless, there are people, even informatic-related people, who claim and yell "Windows Update breaks everything and should be off".

As a matter of fact, i reciently asked a question on a Facebook Group related to informatic technicians, who live off repairing computers and phones. My question lied like this: "Do you install all Windows updates when you format a computer or you leave it to the user to install them so you don't lose time?".

1 guy told me he installed them himself so they didn't break anything while the user was in charge.
Literally 19 told me they disabled Windows Update to avoid trouble, or to not bother the user.

This could mean a huge issue to security to lots of people. This "technicians" also claimed they had their own Windows Update disabled to avoid Windows to stop booting or BSOD.

What do you think of the above? Do you keep Windows Update services always enabled on your PC and whoever's you repair/help? Do you believe it's more convenient to turn it off to avoid issues? Maybe download specific updates manually from internet?

Discuss.
By default Win 10 updates are disabled and install only offline updates and no driver updates from WU.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I also never had anything I consider a major problem. For instance the Fall creator's Update for some reason corrupted both Kaspersky and Adguard on my notebook forcing me to download the uninstallers and force uninstall them. Windows was actually saying my administrator account didn't have the rights to uninstall them

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.