Advice Request Windows XP vs. Windows 7 – User Ratio 2 to 1

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
There is now one user of Windows 7 for every two users of Windows XP worldwide. Similarly, there are two customers running Windows 7 for each one still on Windows Vista.

According to statistics released by Internet metrics company Net Applications, Windows 7 continues to gain traction worldwide, having reached a usage share of no less than 23.08%.

Windows-XP-vs-Windows-7-User-Ratio-2-to-1-3.jpg

More importantly, Windows 7’s momentum seems to keep steady and not indicate any signs of declaration, which is important, especially as more and more details on Windows 8, the next major iteration of Windows, will make it to the public in the future.

Windows 7’s usage share was at 20.87% in December 2010, with the OS climbing to 22.31% in the first month of 2011.

More details - link

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Nice bit of info, so when does everyone think that XP will be phased out as it can't be around forever can it? I for one have stopped using it, people can't use the resources comment anymore due to the price and default that new machines come with?!

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Some people still have old PC's and Windows 7 might not run on them....this is one of the reasons why XP will live another 2 or 3 years.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
How much longer will XP be supported though?

Once it's no longer getting security updates I would hope that most people would decide it's time to move on. :s
(PS: They won't)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
XP extended support ends 2 years after the next Service Pack, and some say this means 2014 (Link).

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
When this happens, would you say that people will eventually stop using it? I can't see this to be honest, but if it does people will skip Vista and Windows 7 will almost triple it's userbase over night maybe? Been light on resources is the only thing it's got going for it as its been proven that Vista/7 are more secure anyway now, so that old story is no longer true!

Tommy

Feb 27, 2011
Windows XP has been around for a long time. It looks like it's gonna be history soon.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
When it is no longer supported, I'm sure I'll move on. But at the moment, I see no reason to upgrade from XP.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
For older PC when Vista was new I still advice people to install XP; I have given my mother-in-law my ex laptop when vista was new. I installed XP and it workd super and fast compared when it has Vista.

For new Laptop I advance people to have Win7; XP doesn't support the new components.

Linux based OS need to work more on getting the network drivers to work otherwise the user will have a hell of time.

I like Linux based OS best but things are made to windows

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Do you ever think that someone using Win95 now has no security issues? :) Well... no software works but most malware is not designed for that OS either. :p

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
bogdan said:
Do you ever think that someone using Win95 now has no security issues? :) Well... no software works but most malware is not designed for that OS either. :p

good idea bogdan :great: :lol:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well just staying to XP (desktop computer) until I graduate in fourth year high school in year 2013 . A very nice OS that must be unforgettable.

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
I will submit to your attention this little tidbit:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

It's a bit b0rked atm, but if you look at the "DX10/11 Systems (Vista/Win7 + DX10/11 GPU" graph, you will see that the highest percentage are the win7 + dx10 systems. So, while XP deployment might still be high at fortune 500 companies, home users - actually the gamers - are phasing it out as they replace their machines and not looking back. Yeah, XP is going away, good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.