Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Since SAS and lately MBAM were ruined, I'm using EEK for second opinion
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome with ublock origin, Font Rendering Enhancer, Google Translate
Maintenance tools
CCleaner Slim with blocked internet access. Geek Uninstaller, HWINFO64, MSI Afterburner, Process Explorer, Resource Hacker, WinAero Tweaker.
File and Photo backup
Not need. If my HDD die will cost me 10x more time to download all movies, tv series and music from cloud drive than ******* sites.
System recovery
not need
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
Computer specs
My old-age custom build:
G1 Sniper Z87
i7 4771
2x8gb 1866 Evo Potenza
GTX 1660 ti
Samsung Evo 120gb + Baracuda 1tb
Seasonic M12II 750W Evo Edition
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration does not have a backup plan. We strongly recommend to add a backup solution for your data so that you can restore it in the case of an emergency.
    Backing up allows the recovery of data that has been lost due of a malware attack (eg. ransomware) or a hard disk crash. In such events you might lose family photos, your music collection, documents, or financial data. Backups are fast and simple to perform so it should be done on a regular basis.

windows1064

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2020
Carsten, you are right about updates, but I'm using custom windows theme and always waiting 1-2 days before install latest windows update. Otherwise updates can broke my windows. About other antivirus, not sure which one is lighter than Eset. This is most important for me.
Oldschool, I will. maybe I underestimate this, because last time when I caught virus was year of 2008. And because I keep all my paypal/email passwords only in ''my head'' :D . But you are definitely right - standard is much safer than admin acount.
Below are my eset settings. Are they good? BTW, sorry for my english.

I use these Eset HIPS settings and Eset Firewall settings plus some other changes made by me:
1. Enabled detection of potentially unwanted and unsafe apps.
2. HIPS in smart mode.
3. Scan on demand with enabled Avdanced heuristics/DNA signatures.
4. Firewall settings below screenshots.

40JCSv4.png

N6MiLb6.png

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

keep all my paypal/email passwords only in ''my head"
So you remember all that with recommend good passwords for every site
?
Of course every site use own 20+ characters password with letters, number & special symbols.

Don't think so ;)
Password manager is a must nowadays. You just need to highly secure that and then enjoy the increased security for your login credentials.

Also don't forget 2FA / FIDO or even better: U2F / FIDO2 for all sites which support it. Maximum protection then.

windows1064

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2020
I keep in my head only gmail and paypal passwords. When I create accounts in internet sites and forums, I use other emails, never my gmail who is linked ONLY wiith paypal. Other passwords are nor important - torrent trackers, forums, etc. They are saved in in chrome/google account.

About FIDO/U2F never heard for this. I have to read about. Thank you :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.