On Sale! Windscribe Pro: Lifetime Subscription- $39.20

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
My only problem with Windscribe is the huge speed drop.. I have a free account and get a 75% drop...

Reactions: Weebarra

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
My only problem with Windscribe is the huge speed drop.. I have a free account and get a 75% drop...

@mlnevese Yes, this depends on how far away you are from the nearest connection and your ISP bandwidth provided to you. Security over speed? I say security! If you need the speed, but not so much the security turn off Windscribe. Downloading large stuff with Windscribe turned on shouldn't be needed unless it should be kept ultra private. Just my humble opinion I thought I share!

Reactions: zzz00m and mlnevese

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017

I have a theory that is due to the free bandwidth plans on the limited number of servers. The traffic is probably more congested at those points.

As soon as I subscribed to Pro and had access to more server locations, I was able to find one closer to home. So I get acceptable speeds with that one. The servers are not all the same, and it pays to hop around to find the fastest one for you.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
@mlnevese Yes, this depends on how far away you are from the nearest connection and your ISP bandwidth provided to you. Security over speed? I say security! If you need the speed, but not so much the security turn off Windscribe. Downloading large stuff with Windscribe turned on shouldn't be needed unless it should be kept ultra private. Just my humble opinion I thought I share!

If I need to download several GB's, I usually switch the VPN off. But if I'm only streaming, or need to download a few hundred MB's, the VPN stays on.

Reactions: mlnevese

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
How will my gaming experience be if I use VPN? I usually have max 40 ping.

All I can say is give the free Windscribe 10GB plan a test drive. It is probably going to depend on a combination of your location, your ISP, and the VPN.

I don't game online, but I have seen many ping times in the 30's when I run network speed tests with my VPN active. Maybe someone with firsthand experience will chime in.

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I have tested Windscribe Free in several locations and I lose around 80-90% speed. That bothers me a bit. So I'm not sure if this VPN is for me.

Reactions: mlnevese

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I have tested Windscribe Free in several locations and I lose around 80-90% speed. That bothers me a bit. So I'm not sure if this VPN is for me.

This isn't a gaming VPN by any means. This is more of a security VPN. The free is congested because of few locations. One has only 8 to chose from. Thought I mention this.

Reactions: zzz00m

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017

I was not too impressed with the free service for my area. But it is low risk to try out the Pro to see if you can find a faster location near you. Otherwise cancel.

From the Windscribe Terms of Use: Terms of Service - Windscribe

If you don't like our service we'll give you your money back within 3 days of you trying it.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
It's a great VPN when it works. But when I use it the connection is highly unstable. Keeps dropping and reconnecting every 30 seconds. Between that I get to use the VPN and it's fine

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Sounds like really good value. I have played around with he free version of Windscribe in the past and found it to be decent enough.

However, with so many new VPNs on the market its hard to know which ones to trust for speed, security and longevity. Are there any reliable independent reviews or tests of Windscribe ?

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
It's a great VPN when it works. But when I use it the connection is highly unstable. Keeps dropping and reconnecting every 30 seconds. Between that I get to use the VPN and it's fine

How many servers have you tried? Are you using the Windows client v1.80 with the TAP network driver?

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Sounds like really good value. I have played around with he free version of Windscribe in the past and found it to be decent enough.

However, with so many new VPNs on the market its hard to know which ones to trust for speed, security and longevity. Are there any reliable independent reviews or tests of Windscribe ?

It's good. I just use the Windows client and skip the browser plugins. I don't recommend the free version, except as a demo. They limit the number of servers available to free users, so the speeds are slower.

Works very reliably for me, and checks all the boxes for privacy and no logging. Based in Canada (thatoneprivacysite dings it for being in a "five eyes" country, but I'm not worried about government agencies snooping on me). No leaks and the firewall stops all network activity if the VPN connection drops. As far as support goes, I opened a support ticket recently and got a personal email response from the founder.

I don't know how many truly independent VPN reviews are out there, as many review sites seem to be affiliated in some way.

I found these:
That One Privacy Site | Detailed VPN Comparison Chart
That One Privacy Site | Choosing a VPN
Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017? - TorrentFreak
Windscribe VPN review | TechRadar
https://lifehacker.com/windscribe-is-a-combination-vpn-and-browser-based-priva-1785812158
Windscribe VPN Review: The Cold Hard Facts You Need To Read

There are lifetime subscriptions available if you search around. Unfortunately I bought a discounted one year Pro subscription before I figured that out.

Reactions: jetman

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I was about to bite on this lifetime promotion until I ran into an issue with server location.

Using the free account I launched the server app and connected to one of the European locations. Upon opening my browser it informed me that I was connected through the Netherlands. So far so good, BUT when I changed server location (France) and refreshed my browser, it still showed a connection through the Netherlands. Hmmmm... that's odd. So I connected next to Hong Kong and still my browser location appeared as coming through Europe. At that point, my hopes of a lifetime account were dashed.

FWIW, I regularly use AirVPN and when I change country location, my browser location identity changes with it.

Something is broken (or fishy) with Windscribe, and it cost them my cheap subscription sign-up.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I was about to bite on this lifetime promotion until I ran into an issue with server location.

Using the free account I launched the server app and connected to one of the European locations. Upon opening my browser it informed me that I was connected through the Netherlands. So far so good, BUT when I changed server location (France) and refreshed my browser, it still showed a connection through the Netherlands. Hmmmm... that's odd. So I connected next to Hong Kong and still my browser location appeared as coming through Europe. At that point, my hopes of a lifetime account were dashed.

FWIW, I regularly use AirVPN and when I change country location, my browser location identity changes with it.

Something is broken (or fishy) with Windscribe, and it cost them my cheap subscription sign-up.

That is odd. I am using the Pro account, and so far everything I have connected to is where it says it is. Make sure the HTML5 Geolocation API is not allowed in your browser, as it can pick up wifi coordinates and doesn't necessarily rely on IP, except as a fallback.. HTML5 Geolocation API - Google Reverse Geocoding - W3C Geolocation API Demo Example - BrowserLeaks.com

I use My IP Address - BrowserLeaks.com to verify where I am connected to. This page shows the public IP address, the provider, the DNS server, and even a Google map with the city pin pointed.

I just connected to Amsterdam, Marseilles, and Hong Kong, and the map showed them precisely. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: codswollip

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
It's good. I just use the Windows client and skip the browser plugins. I don't recommend the free version, except as a demo. They limit the number of servers available to free users, so the speeds are slower.

Works very reliably for me, and checks all the boxes for privacy and no logging. Based in Canada (thatoneprivacysite dings it for being in a "five eyes" country, but I'm not worried about government agencies snooping on me). No leaks and the firewall stops all network activity if the VPN connection drops. As far as support goes, I opened a support ticket recently and got a personal email response from the founder.

I don't know how many truly independent VPN reviews are out there, as many review sites seem to be affiliated in some way.

I found these:
That One Privacy Site | Detailed VPN Comparison Chart
That One Privacy Site | Choosing a VPN
Which VPN Services Keep You Anonymous in 2017? - TorrentFreak
Windscribe VPN review | TechRadar
https://lifehacker.com/windscribe-is-a-combination-vpn-and-browser-based-priva-1785812158
Windscribe VPN Review: The Cold Hard Facts You Need To Read

There are lifetime subscriptions available if you search around. Unfortunately I bought a discounted one year Pro subscription before I figured that out.

Thanks !

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.