On Sale! Windscribe Pro: Lifetime Subscription- $39.20

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
I unistall this "super" VPN speed is very slow my speed is 1Gbps and with this "super" VPN is 50-60 Mbps down and 5-10 Mbps up !
Is not ok !

Reactions: jetman

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@eXDj I can see you revived an old post, but I thought I respond anyway. Windscribe is not known for "speed". In fact, I may have mentioned that the speed with Windscribe isn't top notch. However, the security of this VPN is one that I trust. The only other one that I trust at the moment is ProtonVPN.

If you want high speed for downloads you may not need to have a VPN turned on - unless you want total privacy for all your downloads. I use VPNs for everything that needs to be private. For a download from a software company I turn off my VPN so I can get the full amount of bandwidth. Plus, VPNs vary in speed based on where you are and the nearest location for the VPN service. Therefore, certain VPN providers may be better. For instance, I am from the USA. However, if I connect to lets say Germany my network speed is going to suffer (this is just an example). Find the right connection and you should have better speeds. There are far too many variables.

Is there faster VPNs out there? Yes. Do I trust all of these VPN providers? No. We all must look at the upsides and downsides of VPN providers - security/privacy being one of the gravest concerns.

Sincerely,

Brian

Last edited:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I unistall this "super" VPN speed is very slow my speed is 1Gbps and with this "super" VPN is 50-60 Mbps down and 5-10 Mbps up !
Is not ok !

I find Windscribe speeds very acceptable for general surfing, streaming, and downloads < 1GB.

If I need to download software that is > 1GB, I temporarily turn off the VPN.

I am curious though if you really understand how network infrastructure works. Just because you have 1Gbps access with your ISP, does not guarantee that the rest of the internet can support that speed. It's not like you have a dedicated link at that speed all the way to your destination server. Once your connection leaves your ISP, then you are at the mercy of whatever network paths you get routed through. Just imagine what would happen if you used an 8 lane on-ramp to access a two lane road!

And consider all of the router hops that your packets must flow through from end to end to your destination server, with or without a VPN. Each one of those is constrained by traffic conditions and link speeds available.

If you are hitting 50-60 Mbps down with a VPN, you are doing better than the average ISP without a VPN.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
@eXDj the security of this VPN is one that I trust. The only other one that I trust at the moment is ProtonVPN.

I don't know much about VPNs and would therefore be interested to know why you think that Windscribe is more secure than most other VPNs ?
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just curious to understand what led you to this conclusion.

PS- I am using Windscribe Pro right now- the speed is fine (OK for media streaming, YouTube etc). Maybe it depends where you live. ? I do wonder how sustainable these VPNs are that offer "lifetime" deals though. They can't survive as a business for very long doing that.

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hi @crezz !

I have done a lot of research, comparisons, and tried many VPNs out. Nord and Expess are two other good VPNs out there. Proton and Windscribe are my two favorite VPNs

Here is some reviews about Windscribe:

Windscribe VPN Reviews 2017 - Why 4.1 Stars?

Windscribe VPN Review: The Cold Hard Facts You Need To Read

Windscribe Review

2018 Windscribe Reviews: VPN | ConsumersAdvocate.org

Now compare Windscribe:

Head off to Windscribe's main web page and go all the way to the bottom where you will see "Compare". See how the major ones stack up against Windscribe.

As you can see there are a lot of different gaps that aren't being filled with other VPNs. While this may not be speedy fast (there are so many factors in this though) I feel as though the protection is good. I have never had any issues. Plus with the double VPN feature, kill switches on both sides along with tracker blocker, cruise control, and all of these features too that many VPNs do not include:
upload_2017-12-9_14-19-23.png

I have many other reasons too, but these are some of my primary reasons. Nord, Express, PIA, and ProtonVPNs are the only other ones I'd recommend. Windscribe and ProtonVPN are the only two I use though. Windscribe offers all of these features too:
upload_2017-12-9_14-22-12.png
While other VPNs offer similar abilities to configure or install on certain equipment I like the ability to get things up and running quite quickly. From there I'm tweaking everything to my liking. Other VPNs may offer this variety too.

Take a look at the comparisons and do some research. Windscribe VPN uses an AES-256 cipher with SHA512 authentication. Like other VPNs there is a stealth mode with stunnel technology too. Perhaps others can chime in with their experience with Windscribe.

Are there faster VPNs out there with similar features? Sure! However, do they all stack up to what Windscribe is offering through various other tools, capabilities, and other protections - I wouldn't necessarily say so.

Thanks for asking @crezz !

Sincerely,

Brian

PS: This is all just in my humble opinion. I have been using Windscribe for quite a while now (years) as with a lot of others. Please feel free to chime in :D

Reactions: jetman and catjc

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Thanks for the detailed reply- I will have a good look at this (not had a chance to read through yet but looking forward to).

A quick question- I do not use the browser extension, just the Windows application. I thought this was unnecessary as Firefox already blocks tracking alongside Kaspersky (which also has a browser extension). The Windscribe extension doesn't provide additional advantages, does it ?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

1 month of subscription for Windscribe Pro was enough for me to understand that servers closest to my country (Poland, Russia, Lithuania, Sweden, etc.) are unreliable to be set for 24/7 with "Firewall-always ON mode'' weird disconnects, since I am from Baltic States, I was expecting higher speeds, IKEv2 protocol configurations errors (not always able to connect). Personally, not so good experience, if it works for others, that's cool, but seeing them throw away Lifetime licenses makes me worried as well if users who bought it will receive equal support after some months/years as the ones who pay for it monthly/annually.

Reactions: Lightning_Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@crezz The screen shots provided was from the web app. Take a look at the preferences within the web app. From the developer: "Windscribe is a desktop application and browser extension that work together to block ads, trackers, restore access to blocked content and help you safeguard your privacy online." Indeed, both work together to block takers, block ads, and helps with privacy. You may read more about this on their website too.

Slow speeds take a look at this article: Windscribe - Free VPN and Ad Block

You can go to Windscribe's main web page go to their support site and look at the section that talks about slow-speeds. There are so many different factors that can play a large role in this though. ISP speeds, how traffic is routed, protocols, ports etc. @davisd maybe this will help you?! I have had many people report this problem to me, but making some slight changes makes all of the difference. I'm not saying that it is a cure all for everyone, but for most people whom I have helped in the past they didn't have speed issues anymore. Yes there is some tweaking involved, but as with a lot of applications sometimes it takes just a few clicks and a few changes in settings to get everything just right.

Hope this helps you @crezz !

Sincerely,

Brian

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I only run the VPN desktop app, and the Android App. I have never even bothered to look at the Windscribe browser extension, but it may be fine for someone who needs to protect their browser privacy.

I already have my browsers locked down to the max for security and privacy with extensions I am familiar with. I selected Windscribe on it's merits as a VPN only. Providing browser addons is cool, but not really something you should expect from a VPN.

As far as security is concerned, AES-256 cipher with SHA512 auth and a 4096-bit RSA key is good enough for me! :D
FAQs - Windscribe

syfer

Level 1
Aug 7, 2011
I would I did buy this and it only gives my 10gb bandwidth and lifetime account. I would stay away from this.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I would I did buy this and it only gives my 10gb bandwidth and lifetime account. I would stay away from this.

10GB/month bandwidth is for the free account. Pro lifetime account is unlimited bandwidth.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.