Serious Discussion Windscribe reneged on my free account

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I am not a fan of using sketchy offers to get cheap software, stealing software or password sharing for things like ripping off Netflix. However Windscribe made a promise, whether it be a lifetime offer, the 50 or 60 gb offer ( excluding their region specific offers), and now because their business model dictates they may lose money on these offers they decide to stop them. If that's the case they shouldn't have offered them in the first place, if bots are selling these offers whose fault is that, not ours. Because their accountants couldn't figure out that these offers may cost them money down the road everyone one of us with these offers are getting shafted. Make a promise, keep a promise. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and maybe the CEO gets a smaller bonus and your reputation and integrity is intact, instead they shaft us for the all mighty dollar. I had the 60 gb offer, which was more than I need, if I needed more then I would consider buying a subscription. That's what these free offers should do, use them and if you like the product and need more data then you buy it. Now for many, this will never happen, the company has zero morals and used us to promote their product.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Received a huge sarcasm type email from them stating that they have changed their mind and restored the 50/60 GB plan to the original members or as they said to the original sensual luster. The plan is valid till Vladimir Putin dies 🤨

Here's a part of the email:
1. When we said lifetime of free bandwidth, we meant President Putin’s lifetime.

2. We are restoring all of your early 50/60 GB plans to their original sexiness, for fairness. That’s right, you will all be re-upgraded from the downgrade of your previous upgrade.

3.We are still going to downgrade these free 50/60 GB lifetime plans, but only when Vladimir Putin aka Putler aka Senator PalPutin dies.

4. Yes we are serious. When Putin dies, all Big Gig plans will be downgraded. It could be tomorrow, it could be in 20 years. We don’t know and neither do you.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Received a huge sarcasm type email from them stating that they have changed their mind and restored the 50/60 GB plan to the original members or as they said to the original sensual luster. The plan is valid till Vladimir Putin dies 🤨

I dig the way Windscribe talks to their customers and audience. I would hit them up for support or feedback with a similar vibe.

Reactions: Nevi and Sorrento

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016

Absolutely pathetic by Windscribe. They said they were forced into this by their lawyers who said they were on dodgy ground by originally using the word lifetime, something which a few people here struggled to get their heads around, but then saying the lifetime they meant was Putin's is pitiful. This is the sort of PR disaster that can destroy a company. They should realise this, accept they messed up with the original offer and just take the hit. Otherwise the future could be very bleak for them, certainly if I, and all of my friends, are typical, who have all boycotted Windscribe.

• Applause
Reactions: windscribe

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
Honestly, I'm still glad my "lifetime" voucher is back,
Even if this definition is a bit "Canadian humor".

I personally think that since it is an official "official announcement" ,
It should be more serious,
and shouldn't take this kind of thing as a joke,
but I guess Windscribe is just trying to ease the tension with "Canadian humor".

For my own benefit (?)
I still hope that Putin can live a long life,
even under many American/Western/British "media" reports,
Putin has already died/assassinated/poisoned/critically ill/couped many times,
maybe the current Putin is ChatGPT at all , isn't it ?

----------------------------

The super discount of 10$/year is a bit attractive to me ,
but I'm hesitant because once you purchase this offer ,
after the time expires, if user chose to not renew ,
the original 50/60GB voucher will not be reverted .

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
It's Canadian humour, when I was over there it did take a bit of getting used to, its a bit similar to English cockney humour.
Firstly this is something they shouldn't be joking about. Secondly, there's nothing remotely funny about their so called humour. Quite the opposite; it's actually very insulting to the intelligence of their customers. This should be treated as serious crisis management because companies here in the UK have folded over similar things.

There should be a sincere apology, none of this Putin nonsense, an acknowledgement they messed up both with the initial lifetime offer and with the recent downgrading, and that the upgraded lifetime free offers will be reinstated indefinitely. And if they think it is just free customers who are disgruntled over this they are mistaken. Several of my friends who have paid plans will not be renewing when they expire because they feel they can no longer trust Windscribe.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
They've also offered a lifetime Pro plan there for $10 a year in exchange for dropping the free gigabytes. If it's Pro with all servers, I'm really thinking about it. :unsure:
I really like their humour. :D
But remember Windscribe have a unique take on the word lifetime. Are we talking lifetime as you and I would understand, or a lifetime that suddenly becomes a Putin lifetime, or a mayfly lifetime (they only live for one day)? Who knows? They've done it once, who's to say they won't do it again? We only have their word, which is becoming more and more meaningless by the day.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
But remember Windscribe have a unique take on the word lifetime. Are we talking lifetime as you and I would understand, or a lifetime that suddenly becomes a Putin lifetime, or a mayfly lifetime (they only live for one day)? Who knows? They've done it once, who's to say they won't do it again? We only have their word, which is becoming more and more meaningless by the day.
Even if it is a 3-4-5-7 year tariff, it will be the cheapest VPN with the number and quality of servers you can find. Although Windscribe is certainly not the best VPN, its IPs are blocked many places, but for that price it's great.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Received a huge sarcasm type email from them stating that they have changed their mind and restored the 50/60 GB plan to the original members or as they said to the original sensual luster. The plan is valid till Vladimir Putin dies
Seems like @windscribe operates upon the philosophy that there is no bad marketing and PR. As long as the brand is “in people’s mouths”. 😀
It’s not entirely a bad thing. Humour with them is everywhere, on the website, in dashboards (IoT Telemetry and Clickbait have tolet-related icons for example) and others.
It’s a love us or hate us situation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.