Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'm very happy that it happened.
As we previously noted in our Windscribe review, the VPN comes across as unprofessional, kind of like a snarky teenager who doesn’t take anyone seriously. For example, below is a screenshot of the Windscribe VPN app. You can see check boxes for errors and problems, with faint grey lettering about how they are “just kidding.”
I very much agree with this. I like having a laugh and enjoy memes but I have always hated Windscribe because their lame memes were very unprofessional and they try too hard to be funny in their emails, blog posts, and as you can see even during the product installations where it should never happen.
I have also seen them getting defensive and even behave roughly to the customers when someone complains about their products. The founder himself does this. I also asked them not once but twice why I was getting very slow speed with their service while other VPNs were fast. But they didn't bother to reply to me.
They are exactly the opposite of "Talk Less, Do More".
They are already putting the blame on someone else and I won't be surprised if the founder guy comes here or in some other forums trying to do the same thing again.
So yeah, I'm very happy that they have been exposed, and thanks for sharing the news.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Windscribe make an article about this. Scroll down to "Why Is it changing?" section

On June 24th 2021 our monitoring systems alerted us that two servers in Ukraine had gone offline. When engaging with our provider for those servers, we were informed that the two servers had been seized as part of an investigation of activity that occurred 12 months prior. The hosting provider failed to inform us of a preliminary hearing that took place earlier this year, during which a judgement was rendered to seize the two servers in question.

We have no reason to believe that the servers were compromised or that there was any unauthorized access before seizure. As we do not log VPN traffic, no customer data from those servers while in operation are at any risk.

On the disk of those two servers was an OpenVPN server certificate and its private key. Although we have encrypted servers in high sensitivity regions, the servers in question were running a legacy stack and were not encrypted. We are currently enacting our plan to address this.
Who to believe now?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I won't be. Leaving servers unencrypted is amateur stuff, and their admittance in only having "encrypted servers in high sensitivity regions" is horrific. I'll be looking for a new VPN.
I posted this on r/windscribe and so far 3 comments don't trust this article and said this article is just an advertise for express and nord vpn and other vpn. Also, how do you fully uninstall vpn?

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
Windscribe account deleted , I been a Windscribe user tor many years . and used the Ukrainian severs alot, I wont on install Windscribe.
instead will format pc. cos I dont even want a trace of it on my pc, Windscribe for me is tainted now . so long lifetime license ...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.