WINE, your very own portable Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoftedAphid86

Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
I'm personally using Crossover, which is based on WINE, but I have used WINE itself in the past and I'm rather satisfied with it.
I declare a toast!
To Wine!
winehq_logo_glass.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good review, when I saw WINE which can run based in Windows I'm not losing a chance to use Linux.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Most Linux distros also have Wine in their repositories if you prefer to install it that way. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nice review. Never have seen this before, might give it ago. Looks very interesting.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
HeffeD said:
Most Linux distros also have Wine in their repositories if you prefer to install it that way. :)

Yes, before I saw WINE but no time in having research then my older brother told me that can run Windows base application using WINE its great, Games can run too but depends on using linux distro that are compatible.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Wine is good for gaming but not for all applications, such as security software; the necessary system file (which Wine doesn't have) are missing (dll and some other). When I had ubuntu I had battleforged installed and it when perfectly fine. If anyone wants to know if the wanted windows application works please look at their website; users rate how well windows programs run.

Regards,
Valentin N

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
WINE is a great software I remember using it quite abit when I had ubuntu.

What are the reasons you use Crossover over WINE elliot?

new user

Jun 18, 2011
MrXidus said:
WINE is a great software I remember using it quite abit when I had ubuntu.

What are the reasons you use Crossover over WINE elliot?

There are many reasons:

Automated Setup: Many Wine programs need tweaks to be made, some of these like Guild Wars (I needed Tweaks, some others did not), Crossover will do these Tweaks for you.

Enhanced Engine: Crossover has patches applied and works better then Normal WINE

Bottles: Wine has something called Wine Prefix. It contains a fake registry and a fake C drive. All settings and tweaks done to wine are kept here. If you have multiple wine programs, Some of your tweaks may conflict. Bottles give different Wine prefixes for different programs. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover/bottles

You Support Wine: Codeweavers puts a lot of money and work into helping and developing Wine. By supporting Code Weavers, you support the future of wine.

There is also a free project that does most of these things. It runs on top of normal wine without patches and does not integrate and feel as smooth as Crossover but most of the features are present. It is way more targeted towards games then just Windows software. It also has engine management, you can have many versions of wine since some programs may not work in newer versions, so you can specify which program will use which version. I THINK but I am not sure if this is in Crossover.This project is called http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
I had some issues when using WINE to run applications like games etc. But for the most part, it works as long as the distro is compatible with it. I'm using linux mint right now and I'm probably going to install WINE at some point.

new user

Jun 18, 2011
endejan said:
I had some issues when using WINE to run applications like games etc. But for the most part, it works as long as the distro is compatible with it. I'm using linux mint right now and I'm probably going to install WINE at some point.

Do consider getting it from the PPA if you use mint (since mint is based off Ubuntu).
http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu
NOTE: It says the wine1.3 package is a beta. But it is not as unstable as you would think. Most people almost always use this since it gets brand new features much much faster. 1.2 is a bit old but stable. If you only need a couple of programs and the wine1.2 package works great, use 1.2.

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
I've never really messed up WINE, I've used POL(play on linux) before. I have WINE 1.3 installed but never use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.