Status
Not open for further replies.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2012
IObit said:
winmetro.png
WinMetro is specially designed to bring the newly introduced Windows 8 Metro UI to Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. It offers an easy solution for old version Windows users to try and enjoy the tile based Metro UI.

Requirements: Windows XP, Vista, or 7
Download Link

Source

After a few minutes of trying this program out there are several things they need to fix or they could add:
Every time I launch it the Windows Mobility Center window pops up after I close the Metro look (Problem no longer occurring for me just unpin and pin the desktop icon to the task bar).
The ability to customize is not an option I can't remove the Icons or change the background for personalization.
Facebook and Twitter don't load.
The only web browser in the left column is Internet Explorer and you can not change that.
And they have a very basic calendar app so you can't set an event or anything through that.
On the right they have your programs automatically set. But you can not change them.
The settings aren't much either they are just load at start-up or keep running in background.

Now they do have a corner feature where in the bottom left corner right under the start button has a way to get to metro.
The program also adds an icon in the taskbar to click to get back to metro.

In my opinion IObit needs a lot of improvement. Although this is a first time beta so a lot of these problems are to be expected.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
ok,and i thought people were sick of not being with the start menu on windows 8 ? who would want this on a desktop i wonder ? :D

Malware Maniac

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2012
arsenaloyal said:
ok,and i thought people were sick of not being with the start menu on windows 8 ? who would want this on a desktop i wonder ? :D

No you'll still have the start menu there is just a button in the far corner where you can show the metro interface again.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
They still got a lot of work because this is disgusting compared to Microsoft's polished one. Thanks.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
So basically this is a theme for Windows 7?

Malware Maniac

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2012
McLovin said:

Okay maybe I didn't explain this well enough. Yes it is for Windows 7, Vista, and XP. I is basically a window that shows the metro start menu that does not replace the start menu on the desktop. It is just a little piece of Windows 8.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Malware Maniac said:
Okay maybe I didn't explain this well enough. Yes it is for Windows 7, Vista, and XP. I is basically a window that shows the metro start menu that does not replace the start menu on the desktop. It is just a little piece of Windows 8.

I see, would be better just go for the full blown Windows 8.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
McLovin said:

McLovin said:
Malware Maniac said:

I see, would be better just go for the full blown Windows 8.

I might not mind it to try as a theme but having used Windows 8 I will stick with Windows 7 as my first OS choice.This windows 8 UI seems like it is geared toward touchscreen users.The start menu is a big issue but there are already some nice tweaks to get it back on windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.