Troubleshoot Wise Disk Cleaner, Bleachbit, and Clean My PC failed to remove Chrome History

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Wise Disk Cleaner, Bleachbit, and Clean My PC failed to remove Chrome History
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
I don't know what's going on, but all these 3 cleaning utilities failed to remove Chrome history and other Chrome junks. I ran these 3 as an Admin, and when I finish cleaning and ran it again, it said nothing to be clean. However, I opened up Google Chrome , I can still see my Chrome history. I ran these 3 when Google Chrome closed completely, and not running in the background at all.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
No Exclusions in Wise Cleaner?
Did you try running Wise in Admininstrator mode?
Are your Chrome folders in their default location?
Do you have multiple Chrome installations (including beta/canary/development)?
Can you manually clear your History (either using Chrome or Windows Explorer file delete)?
Security software blocking cleaners (protecting Chrome)?

No Exclusions in Wise Cleaner? No

Did you try running Wise in Admininstrator mode? Yes

Are your Chrome folders in their default location? Yes. I can provide the location if you need it.

Do you have multiple Chrome installations (including beta/canary/development)? No, I install Google Chrome from this Google site: Chrome Web Browser

Can you manually clear your History (either using Chrome or Windows Explorer file delete)? I can manually delete Chrome history through Google Chrome.

Security software blocking cleaners (protecting Chrome)? I only have Bitdefender Free as a real time. No notification nor log from Bitdefender.

Upvote 0

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Since Wise is working for your other browsers, the last suggestion I have at this time is to completely uninstall Chrome (this just doesn't seem right). Reboot. Reinstall Chrome. Before reinstalling I would manually remove any Chrome remnants from Program Files; AppData/Roaming; and AppData/Local.

Be sure to save your bookmarks before wiping Chrome. Good luck. (y)

EDIT1:
You may have a setting in Chrome that allows background applications to run after Chrome has already been closed.

To disable this setting, please open Google Chrome > click Menu (3 dots in top right) > Settings > Show advanced settings>System... > unmark "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".

EDIT2: Are you ALSO erasing "Google Chrome Cache" (under Web Browser Cache)

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool
Upvote 0

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
I highly recommend you not to use Chrome if Privacy is a concern of yours, Google is grabbing & misusing your data on a level that far extends beyond what even facebook have been caught doing.

In the very near future, Google will hit the news.

however, give Privazer a try - its the only one ive used that finds junk that all the popular ones miss.

Reactions: oldschool
Upvote 0

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Maybe your Chrome History is corrupt?

Close Chrome and go to > \AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

and delete History, History Provider Cache, History-journal (they will be repopulated when you open Chrome).

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

No I am using the latest stable version of Google Chrome. Those 3 tools I mentioned can clean Edge, but failed when it comes to Google Chrome.

26346e88d91617d71e4159704f8b76861c5fef09.jpg

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I highly recommend you not to use Chrome if Privacy is a concern of yours, Google is grabbing & misusing your data on a level that far extends beyond what even facebook have been caught doing.

In the very near future, Google will hit the news.

however, give Privazer a try - its the only one ive used that finds junk that all the popular ones miss.

So what's to use then? Vivaldi has had privacy issues and is buggy. Firefox is flat out annoying and buggy. Maxthon is backdoored. Yandex is a mess. Let's face it, Chrome works perfectly, is fast, doesn't have any issues on any pages and is the most actively patched/developed browser.

If you find a viable alternative - let me know. I haven't.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Since Wise is working for your other browsers, the last suggestion I have at this time is to completely uninstall Chrome (this just doesn't seem right). Reboot. Reinstall Chrome. Before reinstalling I would manually remove any Chrome remnants from Program Files; AppData/Roaming; and AppData/Local.

Be sure to save your bookmarks before wiping Chrome. Good luck. (y)

EDIT1:
You may have a setting in Chrome that allows background applications to run after Chrome has already been closed.

To disable this setting, please open Google Chrome > click Menu (3 dots in top right) > Settings > Show advanced settings>System... > unmark "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".

EDIT2: Are you ALSO erasing "Google Chrome Cache" (under Web Browser Cache)

I already uninstall through Iobit Uninstaller. " Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed " already unchecked after re-installed.
Maybe your Chrome History is corrupt?

Close Chrome and go to > \AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

and delete History, History Provider Cache, History-journal (they will be repopulated when you open Chrome).

I did that as well, but the problem still persist.

I don't know man. I just don't know. Privacy Eraser can clean Chrome junks fine. Sum Ting Wong maybe?

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.