Troubleshoot Wise Disk Cleaner, Bleachbit, and Clean My PC failed to remove Chrome History

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Wise Disk Cleaner, Bleachbit, and Clean My PC failed to remove Chrome History
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
I don't know what's going on, but all these 3 cleaning utilities failed to remove Chrome history and other Chrome junks. I ran these 3 as an Admin, and when I finish cleaning and ran it again, it said nothing to be clean. However, I opened up Google Chrome , I can still see my Chrome history. I ran these 3 when Google Chrome closed completely, and not running in the background at all.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
BleachBit should do it. I know BleachBit wants your browser closed to clean it. But ForgottenSeer 58943 may have the solution. Please let us know how you resolve this issue.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
BleachBit should do it. I know BleachBit wants your browser closed to clean it. But ForgottenSeer 58943 may have the solution. Please let us know how you resolve this issue.

I closed Google Chrome then ran Bleachbit. I checked everything under Chrome except " vaccum ". Google Chrome history still there even Bleachbit confirmed nothing to clean for Google Chrome. This also applies to Wise 365, Wise Disk Cleaner, and Clean My PC.

I also reinstalled Google Chrome, and the issue that Bleachbit, Wise 365, Wise Disk Cleaner, and Clean My PC failed to remove Chrome junks still not solved.

This is really weird. CCleaner and Privacy Eraser can clean Chrome junks no problem at all.

Reactions: catjc and frogboy
Upvote 0

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Just a test, have you tried to check if there are still some active Chorme processes after you have closed Chrome?
In the case you could manually terminate the processes via Task Manager and then try again launching the tools.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Just a test, have you tried to check if there are still some active Chorme processes after you have closed Chrome?
In the case you could manually terminate the processes via Task Manager and then try again launching the tools.

No active Chrome processes running after closing Google Chrome in Task Manager. Glary Utilities 5 can remove Google Chrome history, but not the cache files in Google Chrome folder where CCleaner and Privacy Eraser manage to pick it up.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@SumTingWong please try this : go to this tab : chrome://history on the left side select : delete browser history , select period always , select advanced and tick all boxes in the popup window now push the delete button , everything should be gone now ;):)

I know how to do that, but I just don't understand why Wise Disk Cleaner, Bleachbit, Wise 365, and Clean My PC unable to do that.

Reactions: tonibalas
Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I've been looking into this for myself as it relates to Firefox and Edge as I've mostly quit using Chrome. I use CCleaner to clean Edge while excluding cookies for browser/search engine tweeks. I tried it today and it cleared cookies but seems to still show quite a list. I know some have been cleared since some of my logins were cleared, which was what I wanted. I'm now curious about this myself, just for the sake of understanding the relationship of cookies> cache> temp files> session, etc. I know Firefox allows exclusions for cookies, and has setting for clearing history, cookies, etc. when closing browser. Have you tried Chrome Settings>Advanced>Content Settings>Cookies? Here you can manually allow, block, and clear on closing. Your solution may depend in part on how you've configured Chrome. I'm going to ponder this some more..... More questions, possible solutions seem to come when I just do something entirely different.

Reactions: SumTingWong
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You are syncing your history?

Sign out from Chrome. Close Chrome. Run Wise Desktop Cleaner (all Chrome related settings checked for cleaning). Reopen Chrome (do NOT sign in) after Wise completes cleaning.

I weren't log in before cleaning and after cleaning. This is too weird to me.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What version are you using? How long does it keep happening? Maybe the latest update added something new.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Be sure Chrome is not running in background when you close browser. Check Task Manager. Kill any open Chrome instances.

I already checked. No Google Chrome processes running in the background after closed.

What version are you using? How long does it keep happening? Maybe the latest update added something new.

Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Just checked with Wise Disk Cleaner, all clean. Have you tried disabling all extensions? Might be also caused by AV, etc.

Attachments

• capture_04272018_223037.jpg
    capture_04272018_223037.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 463
Reactions: tonibalas and catjc
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Just checked with Wise Disk Cleaner, all clean. Have you tried disabling all extensions? Might be also caused by AV, etc.

Wise Disk Cleaner said no traces, but my Google Chrome says opposite.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    719.7 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 0

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
No Exclusions in Wise Cleaner?
Did you try running Wise in Admininstrator mode?
Are your Chrome folders in their default location?
Do you have multiple Chrome installations (including beta/canary/development)?
Can you manually clear your History (either using Chrome or Windows Explorer file delete)?
Security software blocking cleaners (protecting Chrome)?

Reactions: oldschool
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.