With all the Software Available Surely I Could Make Windows XP Secure?

John Watson

Level 1
Verified
Dec 19, 2014
1. Is it recommended to use Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium with third-party Antivirus software?

Malwarebytes 3.0 is an "AV replacement." It is not an AV. [...]

You don't need to pay for a traditional AV anymore! [...] We have always believed that no one product can do it all, and the free AV that comes with modern operating systems, in conjunction with Malwarebytes is all you will ever need.

[...] Malwarebytes 3.0, layered with the AV (which is the default mode) or as your stand-alone defense, is the most effective approach against modern threats. And if all else fails, you need the best remediation technology available.

Source: Malwarebytes 3.0 Help Documentation

2. Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium is fairly new and can consume a fair few resources, especially when used in conjunction with other security when you consider all it's inclusive features. A system running on old hardware is going to feel the wrath of any intensive CPU/RAM usage, and let's not forget the 3.5GB RAM limitation to any Windows 32-bit OS - but if hardware support, an exception for XP Professional using PAE.

Source: Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases (Windows)

3. It should also be noted that Ransomware Protection is only available for systems running Windows 7 or later. Users will not benefit from Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium full features, another limitation of Windows XP system.

Source: Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium 14-day Free Trial (See above footer notes).

4. Had a look at VoodooShield, but again will not benefit from full features due to limitation in XP and lack of security compared to a modern OS.

"VoodooShield is compatible with Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server, but does not offer all of the features or quite the level of security that the more modern operating systems offer".
=================================================================================================================

I made an error. I meant Malwarebytes Antimalware 3.0.6 and yes I'm quite aware of the very limited RAM availability.
This new MB does consume a bit more RAM, especially noticeable when using a browser with a bunch of extensions/plugins, I've noticed since upgrading 2 days back.
You might want to either disable or uninstall MSE and under Settings, select Always register Malwarebytes in Windows Security Center.
Final call is, Don't add another installation of AM and do a regular Anti-Virus scan with a portable scanner that is in the top 5 at AV-Comparatives

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.