With all the Software Available Surely I Could Make Windows XP Secure?

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
1. It's probably time to stop using these programs then, or find an updated version.
2. Who tells you that these attacks are targetted, and not bundled in EK that can affect anyone?
3. Windows 7 is user friendly, so is Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't bloated, nor is Windows 8.1.

Reactions: AtlBo

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
1. It's probably time to stop using these programs then, or find an updated version.
2. Who tells you that these attacks are targetted, and not bundled in EK that can affect anyone?
3. Windows 7 is user friendly, so is Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't bloated, nor is Windows 8.1.
1. Well it's for the user to decide what to use.
2. It doesn't matter if you have backup you can restore your system to clean state.
3. XP runs better on older hardware and takes less space on HDD so it's for user to decide what to use faster older OS or slower but more secured OS witch also can get infected.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
You know that a lot of companies are now dropping support for Windows XP, right? This "solution" won't last for long, and it doesn't change the fact that your system will still not be as hardened as you think it is. Hell, I can Google Windows XP exploits, Metasploit scripts, etc. to remotely hack a system. It gives you an idea of how dangerous it is to still run XP in 2017.

Curious about this. How can you hack a computer you can't see? With Comodo Firewall set to Proactive the pictures show what anyone would not even see. Just like any 7/8/10 PC, this computer doesn't exist. Hacker can get onto the system with an exploit. Well, there are supported browsers which use the same containment techniques as Edge. Also, what blocks exploits that get beyond this on a Windows 10 system? Windows 10? That would be no, it would be up to the security software to do this. We all have seen the video tests testing on Windows 10 systems.

I'm with anyone who says Windows XP is old and extremely hard to secure and configure, but I can't see the difference as anything but human error potential and at that there is only extremely slightly a difference as far as I can tell.

Not trying to rattle a bees nest, I promise, I just can't see how the facts line up to just blanketly say that Windows XP on your PC means you are going to lose your files (if you use it on the internet). Also, I don't mean to say that you guys are wrong. I just can't see how. Pics are Gibson Ports tests with Comodo 10 and Avast (hardened) on Windows XP SP3.

Attachments

• Gibson 0-1055.jpg
    Gibson 0-1055.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 323
  • Gibson Common Ports.jpg
    Gibson Common Ports.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 345
  • Gibson FTP.jpg
    Gibson FTP.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 309
  • System.jpg
    System.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 286

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I want to take a Retail Version of XP Cut it down with something like Win lite, then Secure the heck out of it, with AV, anti-Exe, Sandbox ETC

XP was very fast, and a nice OS...

Don't you think this is still possible to secure and use it daily, if not maybe Vista?

Ideas.

Yes it's possible with all the software available today, but remember the best AV would be you. Alternatively, why not try Win 7 (I'm using Starter).

Reactions: roger_m and AtlBo

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Here are your options:

1. Upgrade your PC or buy a new one
2. Keep XP. But disconnect it from all internet connection
3. Use sandoxing and/or anti-executable applications.
- This one can have a few problems. If you are relying on a currently developed program, it is possible that while the developer is introducing new features/updates it might break compatibility with an old OS like XP. However if you rely on an old, not maintained, program it could have many bugs that were left unfixed.

@WinXPert
It is worth remembering that support for Windows 7 is ending on 2020. Personally, I wouldn't bother buying it if I knew I only had a mere 3 years. Windows 8 or 10 would be better options.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
@WinXPert
It is worth remembering that support for Windows 7 is ending on 2020. Personally, I wouldn't bother buying it if I knew I only had a mere 3 years. Windows 8 or 10 would be better options.

Obsolescence is only relative with or without Microsoft's support. I am still using my Windows XP Home on my HP Mini without problems. Personal opinion on Win 8 and 10, it sucks compared to XP and 7.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Why is this even a discussion? XP is dead. End of life 2 years ago. No more security updates. Finished.

You can not make XP safe. Stop using it. It can not be secured. Giving advice about how to secure XP is madness.

John Watson

Level 1
Verified
Dec 19, 2014
If you're on a very tight budget and can't afford a newer machine for awhile, make sure you have a good Antimalware like Malwarebytes 3.5 or Avast and only surf as a Non-Administrator user. Browser extensions like Ghostery, AdBlock and NoScript also help.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I moved on from XP 10 years ago, and believe that every OS released since then (including Vista) is far superior. While I loved XP when it was released, I really don't like it compared to more recent operating systems. So, aside from any security concerns, I simply don't like XP anymore, and I even would much rather use Vista (which is a highly underrated OS in my opinion). However, on the other hand, I really don't believe that using XP is as much of a risk as people believe.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I will test XP. I am going to install XP with SP3 on one of my spare laptops. I am going to install all Windows Updates, but will not use the POSReady hack to continute getting updates, as I presume this is something the average XP user would not do.

I will do absolutely nothing to secure the computer, other than leaving XP's built in firewall and Windows Defender enabled. Of course in XP (just like in Vista and Windows 7) Windows Defender is just a very basic anti-malware program, rather than being a full antivirus. I will install some demand scanners.

I will probably use Yandex for the browser, and I will do a lot of web browsing, including visitng potentially risky sites. The only precaution I will take, is to never run unknown files. I will run scans from time to time, to see if my computer gets infected. While I have no doubt that it's safer to use a more recent version of Windows. Personally, I believe it won't get infected, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

As a final note, I must point out that there will nothing of importance stored on this laptop, and I will never enter any personal information into any of the sites I visit.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Quite difficult to protect XP in appropriate way.
Using a VM might be the best solution, but perhaps a little practical.
The real problem are malware that exploit tons of vulnerabilities of Windows XP and these malware are difficult to intercept if they are designed expressly for this purpose.

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Sandbox - The Chromium Projects

"The operating system might have bugs. Of interest are bugs in the Windows API that allow the bypass of the regular security checks. If such a bug exists, malware will be able to bypass the sandbox restrictions and broker policy and possibly compromise the computer. Under Windows, there is no practical way to prevent code in the sandbox from calling a system service.

In addition, third party software, particularly anti-malware solutions, can create new attack vectors. The most troublesome are applications that inject dlls in order to enable some (usually unwanted) capability. These dlls will also get injected in the sandbox process. In the best case they will malfunction, and in the worst case can create backdoors to other processes or to the file system itself, enabling specially crafted malware to escape the sandbox."

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you are going to use Windows XP at home regardless of no more support then you can be safe.

Our Gateway desktop is run on Windows XP with very mediocre hardware specification and no intrusion of infection throughout the years.

-------------

Now if we are going to speak on Windows XP to use on business firm, then highly not recommended especially when connects in the network, which leaves huge security risk.

Another thing some of the programs are began to stop Windows XP support which reduce the effectiveness and reliability.

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Windows XP is generally a waste of time, especially for the security side of it where the end of life has already happened. It no longer receives patch updates which mean's there are likely a decent amount of unpatched security holes. If you're avoiding the use of Windows 10 the best thing I could suggest is to go with Windows 7/8.1. But if you're looking for a good amount of security overall you could always go with a Linux distribution.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
it is user friendly easy to use and it's not bloated. I use XP on my old pc as multimedia player connected to my TV
So is Android and iOS, with Cast, Screen Mirroring etc. you can stream content to your Modern TV over HDMI with Chromecast or Fire TV Stick. If you own a Smart TV with Android, access to plenty of apps including Plex, KODI and more.

How many more excuses will people find to keep using Windows XP!? Keep up or get left behind. Lol

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
With all the Software Available Surely I Could Make Windows XP Secure?
Quick question, how will you mitigate exploits and patch vulnerabilities in XP, when it's no longer officially supported by Microsoft for consumers?

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

John Watson

Level 1
Verified
Dec 19, 2014
Quick question, how will you mitigate exploits and patch vulnerabilities in XP, when it's no longer officially supported by Microsoft for consumers?

Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium 3.6 and Avast Antimalware Free. Both work on Windows XP with only moderate RAM usage.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium 3.6 and Avast Antimalware Free. Both work on Windows XP with only moderate RAM usage.
1. Is it recommended to use Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium with third-party Antivirus software?

Malwarebytes 3.0 is an "AV replacement." It is not an AV. [...]

You don't need to pay for a traditional AV anymore! [...] We have always believed that no one product can do it all, and the free AV that comes with modern operating systems, in conjunction with Malwarebytes is all you will ever need.

[...] Malwarebytes 3.0, layered with the AV (which is the default mode) or as your stand-alone defense, is the most effective approach against modern threats. And if all else fails, you need the best remediation technology available.

Source: Malwarebytes 3.0 Help Documentation

2. Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium is fairly new and can consume a fair few resources, especially when used in conjunction with other security when you consider all it's inclusive features. A system running on old hardware is going to feel the wrath of any intensive CPU/RAM usage, and let's not forget the 3.5GB RAM limitation to any Windows 32-bit OS - but if hardware support, an exception for XP Professional using PAE.

Source: Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases (Windows)

3. It should also be noted that Ransomware Protection is only available for systems running Windows 7 or later. Users will not benefit from Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium full features, another limitation of Windows XP system.

Source: Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium 14-day Free Trial (See above footer notes).

4. Had a look at VoodooShield, but again will not benefit from full features due to limitation in XP and lack of security compared to a modern OS.

"VoodooShield is compatible with Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server, but does not offer all of the features or quite the level of security that the more modern operating systems offer".

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
So is Android and iOS, with Cast, Screen Mirroring etc. you can stream content to your Modern TV over HDMI with Chromecast or Fire TV Stick. If you own a Smart TV with Android, access to plenty of apps including Plex, KODI and more.

How many more excuses will people find to keep using Windows XP!? Keep up or get left behind. Lol
I don't see the point in buying new hardware to play movies on Android or iOS instead of XP.
The only thing I will gain is a new bill to pay.

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.