With all the Software Available Surely I Could Make Windows XP Secure?

R

Rodney74

Thread author
I want to take a Retail Version of XP Cut it down with something like Win lite, then Secure the heck out of it, with AV, anti-Exe, Sandbox ETC

XP was very fast, and a nice OS...

Don't you think this is still possible to secure and use it daily, if not maybe Vista?

Ideas.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Even if it were possible to secure XP, think about this. No .NET beyond 4.0 and no directX beyond v. 9. This would limit the usefulness of the software you can even install in the first place.

I think you could adequately secure XP, considering you can even add EMET. However, I tried to install Comodo Firewall in a VM on XP SP3 though, and that didn't work for some reason. Not sure what went wrong or if it would work outside the VM.

I agree, play around in a VM and see what you can come up with. It would be interesting.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
install NVT ERP, and browse in sandboxie (it supports XP SP3).

and don't make mistakes...

Reactions: FrFc1908 and AtlBo

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why bother? It's a waste of time. Time spent to slim down a dead OS, but to run Security software using unnecessary resources, a waste of energy.

In all seriousness "Who cares about XP"! You can do much better without over spending, an Android-OS build or lightweight Linux distro is far more secure (and modern) than any XP has to offer. Otherwise a new Windows 10 PC custom build if you extra $$.

If your PC was built for Windows XP, then it will not run Windows Vista due to demanding hardware requirements. Windows Vista requires a lot more power than was expected to run smooth, many found Windows 7 to run better than Vista. I don't understand why you think Vista is an alternate to XP.

All opinions are my own.

@AtlBo EMET has limited functionality on Windows XP, than say Windows 7.

Thread author
I want to take a Retail Version of XP Cut it down with something like Win lite, then Secure the heck out of it, with AV, anti-Exe, Sandbox ETC

XP was very fast, and a nice OS...

Don't you think this is still possible to secure and use it daily, if not maybe Vista?

Ideas.

People still use XP, but the OS is obsolete in terms of security. More and more security soft vendors are dropping support for XP.

While we still support XP 32-bit, we recommend that you upgrade your OS if possible.

In order to protect XP, it would be foolish to use a default-allow security model. You really should lock the system down. Even then there are no guarantees. With XP you are on your own.

Bin it.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@AtlBo EMET has limited functionality on Windows XP, than say Windows 7.

Thanks. I see. Only support for up to EMET v 4.1 from MS. Just goes to show how limited software options are for XP. Yes it's true, there won't be anything for it two years from now but old versions of Comodo Firewall and old versions of a-vs I guess.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I really don't see the big deal about XP. It probably has the worst security of any OS developed and has had and still has 100's of exploits. The only thing it has going for it is the lack of telemetry and spying crap in it. But it's always been a security nightmare.

Reactions: Fritz and AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I really don't see the big deal about XP. It probably has the worst security of any OS developed and has had and still has 100's of exploits. The only thing it has going for it is the lack of telemetry and spying crap in it. But it's always been a security nightmare.
I use it in a VM, for legacy apps that require no internet access, and I do admire its simplicity and speed.
I would never consider running it on my host machine, though, because I am a security paranoid, and besides, I like to run the latest version of whatever software I'm using.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Vanilla Window XP shipped with no Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus or Firewall. Goes to show the vast changes in OS security and Windows 10.

Exactly my point. You can not make it secure. Microsoft did not care about security when XP launched. Now 15 years later they do care.

I still see way too many XP exploits reported in online exploit databases pop up every day. Most are rated as critical RCE exploits.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
look, if @Rodney74 wants to run windows XP, what's so terrible about that?
Retro can be cool.
He is willing to use an anti-exe and to run his browser in sandbox, so I don't see what's so suicidal about it.

NVT ERP + Sandboxie + Qihoo 360 should protect pretty well

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
look, if @Rodney74 wants to run windows XP, what's so terrible about that?
Retro can be cool.
He is willing to use an anti-exe and to run his browser in sandbox, so I don't see what's so suicidal about it.

NVT ERP + Sandboxie + Qihoo 360 should protect pretty well
Using Security as an excuse to make an unsupported OS secure. It just does not match up today's security standards. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, software will eventually stop supporting XP and soon enough so will their Support teams.

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
He can use any OS he wants it's his choice, if he has very old hardware like single core CPU and 1gb or less ram Win7 might work very slow but on XP it'll be mush faster. He can secure it with 3'rd party firewall, good AV, Anti-Exe, Anti-Exploit or all in one Internet Security and make system backup.

Reactions: roger_m and AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's not secure for business use but for home use like web browsing and media playback is ok.
well, you are a sitting duck for web exploits, because browsers like chrome no longer support XP . That means you are missing all the latest patches and your browser is full of holes.
The solution is to run browser in sandbox, and empty sandbox before connecting to sensitive sites or entering important passwords.

media files are also vulnerable to exploits, so if you aren't sure about a download, play it in sandbox

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz and AtlBo

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Like i said secure it with 3'rd party firewall, good AV, Anti-Exe, Anti-Exploit or all in one Internet Security and make system backup.
Firefox is working on XP and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit or HitmanPro.Alert or EMET can protect media player.

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.