World’s First Mass-Produced Transparent TV

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

China's Xiaomi has launched a new TV as part of the 10th anniversary celebration that also saw the announcement of the Mi 10 Ultra smartphone. The Mi TV Lux Transparent Edition brings sci-fi into the living room with an edge-to-edge self-luminous television that you can see through.

We've seen a few transparent televisions and screens from industry big hitters like Samsung, LG and Panasonic over the years, but Xiaomi says its Mi TV Lux Transparent Edition is the first to go into mass production. The 55-inch OLED panel is just 5.7-mm thin and sits on a rounded base and, when the TV isn't powered on, the display looks like a window between you and whatever is behind it – though it can be set to show arty display images if desired. But Xiaomi is promising an "unprecedented visual experience" when it's switched on, with "extra rich blacks and unmatched brightness."

Indeed, the reported static contrast ratio is 150,000:1, with an "infinite dynamic contrast" waiting in the wings. The 10-bit panel can display over a billion colors, supports 93 percent of the DCI-P3 color spectrum, boasts a 120-Hz refresh rate and 120-Hz MEMC technology for smooth, clear moving images, and a 1-ms response time for low latency onscreen gaming.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
From the video it looks very distractive if there's something behind the TV especially if the behind things are moving. The TV's pictures need to be super bright to overcome those behind distractions which means higher power consumption and screen burnt out.

It'll work beautifully if the behind is a blank wall. Such a TV is good if you put it in the centre of a room and have an audience infront and behind it

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I had an embarrassing misunderstanding😱😱😱😱😱😱😱. I thought I could see the reversed image from the back. I was seriously thinking about whether there is a demand for a baseball broadcast where a right-handed pitcher becomes a southpaw.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If I hadn't seen this video, I wouldn't have known the truth.😌😌😌

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Definitively something I wouldn't buy. Being able to see through the screen would not only be distracting but annoying as well. i can see its uses but not something for home.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I thought that there might be a demand if I could output'program in a competing timeslot' on one side, but in that case, there would be no point in making the panel transparent.:rolleyes:
.. It's a product limited to the display of advertising images, not for home use.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I thought that there might be a demand if I could output'program in a competing timeslot' on one side, but in that case, there would be no point in making the panel transparent.:rolleyes:
.. It's a product limited to the display of advertising images, not for home use.
In 2018 LG already demonstrated that. You can play games and run Windows on it besides using it as an advertisment display

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The video you posted @show-Zi is on Samsungs Transparent TV, not the Xiaomi Mi TV.

Here's a video on the correct product :

Transparent TVs or screens ain't nothing new, just as mentioned in the article. It's the launch of mass producing that Xiaomi is first with.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The video you posted @show-Zi is on Samsungs Transparent TV, not the Xiaomi Mi TV.

Here's a video on the correct product :

Transparent TVs or screens ain't nothing new, just as mentioned in the article. It's the launch of mass producing that Xiaomi is first with.

So still can see from the back but picture not as bright as on the front and is laterally inverted

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Btw, when it comes to a display that plays back images, I think that the reproduction of black color is most affected by the transparency.

I feel like I can apply the technology that instantly changes from transparent to smoked glass, as in this video.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.