World First Driverless Parking System

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Back in 2019, Bosch and Mercedes were granted a special permit for an automated parking system operated without human supervision. Now the partnership has been given the official nod to operate Level 4 automated valet parking on a commercial basis. The development partners say that the commercial approval from Germany's Federal Motor Transport Authority to operate its driverless parking system at the APCOA P6 parking garage at Stuttgart Airport is not just a first for Germany, but a first for the world.

The move follows new regulations introduced in Germany last year that granted permission for SAE Level 4 autonomous vehicles, so long as strict conditions were met.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

a tad "confusing" ie I had to read this twice, the way it is worded in English, to me it first sounded like the parking lot was automated, ie Mercedes created an automated parking lot system, but on 2d read, it works with self-driving MB cars, correct? Always interested in this topic, we have 2 Tesla, but not with the +$12,000 option for full auto-driving. Don't have $12,000 USD just lying around, and Tesla full self-driving needs more development. (I know people who do have full self-driving). My engineer architect son worked on / at the new Tesla plant in Austin Texas. We still paid full price, that's why Elon is billionaire with capital B. But I do like my Tesla.

EDIT to put topic into context, Tesla has been able to do this, or something very similar for at least 2 years, eg, you could park your Tesla in a mall parking lot, and instead of walking to your car upon leaving the mall, you can (could) use your iphone and tell the Tesla to self-drive to you. I have never done this, my Tesla does not have this feature, but a beta tester told me has done this, and that was some time ago.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
EDIT to put topic into context, Tesla has been able to do this, or something very similar for at least 2 years, eg, you could park your Tesla in a mall parking lot, and instead of walking to your car upon leaving the mall, you can (could) use your iphone and tell the Tesla to self-drive to you. I have never done this, my Tesla does not have this feature, but a beta tester told me has done this, and that was some time ago.
The feature itself of self-parking is much older then 2 years. Car vendors both in Europe and Japan started implement it out in full production models already +10 years ago so Tesla in all it's self-driving " glory " is still far behind, but it's not that specific part that's news breaking. It's the official commercial approval to use the system in a public parking building, and as noted not just for anyone. The system is also not just about the car.

When everyone has exited the vehicle, the parking system checks that the booked space is free and all other conditions have been met. Bosch sensors installed throughout the parking garage monitor the area and provide data to help the vehicle drive itself to its pre-booked spot, which can include rolling up or down ramps and instructing the car to brake if obstacles are detected.
"In the future, our aim is to equip more and more parking garages with the necessary infrastructure technology – we plan to do several hundred of them worldwide in the next few years," said Dr. Markus Heyn, chairman of the Mobility Solutions business sector at Bosch.
Bosch ( founded 1886 ) another German company btw, ain't a car vendor but they are usually still well-know for their technology. Personal I'm not surprised at all that Mercedes collaborated with them on this project.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.