Worst antivirus for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexMM

Thread author
Nov 11, 2015
I used VirusBarrier Plus application from Intego. I loaded that some time ago from AppleStore.

Yesterday I started this application and it found about 6000 infected files. I push the button to recover files and all my Word, Excel, Pages, Numbers files were destroyed by VirusBarrier. All the files became the files with 0 size. There is no one still alive.

I called Intego Support and they said that I should not use old application (Even their data base was uploaded by application yesterday) and apologized. They said that it is not possible to restore the files.

So my strong advice to everybody - Never use Intego products ( at least before you make backup of your computer).

My strong advice to Apple never allow them to put their products in AppStore .

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I've tested VirusBarrier plus before and it worked totally fine. Perhaps you downloaded a counterfeit product?

AlexMM

Thread author
Nov 11, 2015
i downloaded this application a long time ago from AppStore.
There was no problems in the past. Now Support from Intego said that it was my fault that I did use old product. Clever people are in Intego. They may be believe that after such story I would start to use their new one.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I prefer not to use Intego Products but they are okay. Now their products are totally fine and protect well. I don't use it because I have a random ESET key sitting around.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Mac OS X under attack – 10 security packages put to the test

Intego is loosing to the competition these days.

Avast or Avira (both free) should be fine :)

The school where i learned for apprenticeship used Intego VirusBarrier without issues at all.
Until someone decided to put a patching virus on the server......
I totally agree. Actually, I like Sophos AV and the results from testing on my mac (2.4 gHz Dual-Core, 8 GB RAM) were excellent performance. I don't agree with the test results because Avast Mac Security didn't do so well in the test (mine).

Remember you shouldn't trust AV-Test these days. They might accept money to change results.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not fan of those AV in Mac but well known security firm like Kaspersky, Avira many among others are reliable and sufficient enough.

Sophos AV is pretty good too, since they are thoroughly focus on Mac viruses then posted on their blog as educational and informative awareness. As those in the wild list are few due to OS environment production.

Reactions: Kuttz

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Intego VirusBarrier is over-priced and (IMO) mediocre at best, when compared with the current alternatives.

I personally use Avast Free Mac Security (Avast Free Mac Security | Antivirus Software for Apple OS X), although it has a minor bloatware issue in the past, where SecureLine VPN automatically installed after a program update. I also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac as a precaution, although all accounts are standard.

@AlexMM You could try Malwarebytes for Mac (Free Anti-Malware Detection & Removal Software for Apple Macintosh Computers) - provides anti-adware clean-up.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Intego VirusBarrier is over-priced and (IMO) mediocre at best, when compared with the current alternatives.

I personally use Avast Free Mac Security (Avast Free Mac Security | Antivirus Software for Apple OS X), although it has a minor bloatware issue in the past, where SecureLine VPN automatically installed after a program update. I also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac as a precaution, although all accounts are standard.

@AlexMM You could try Malwarebytes for Mac (Free Anti-Malware Detection & Removal Software for Apple Macintosh Computers) - provides anti-adware clean-up.

The Secure-Line installation is no longer a thing by the way :)

Even old Mac malware runs right by the security measures of OSX 10.11 :(

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
To be honest, if this antivirus you mention is not a fraud, and it suddenly detected 6000 infected files, then it may mean you grabbed some malware or ransomware that infected you and that caused the file corruption, or the antivirus trying to desinfect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.