Worth to spend money on some applications?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is pretty much no brainer. Today, it makes no sense to spend money on AV or internet security suite.
Amen, I no longer run sig based software, yes I got the idea here, but through a large amount of homework and research I have found that it can be done safely without putting
the PC at risk. Granted it relies on a user that is active in protecting the system via smart browsing / not click happy ect. But man it sure frees up a systems resources and space
if done correctly the users system is just as safe, in some cases safer than with Sig based AV solutions and Security suites.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Agreed about IDM and if I will want to pay something. I search for free alternatives, they are always exist.
Zemana is the only software to worth my money (hardly earned) :cool:

I think you are talking about Zemana Antimalware as there was a life-time giveway for Zemana Antilogger . If you really need Zemana Antimalware send me a private message I will share with Zemana Antimalware 1 year key (380 days I guess). So, you can save your money and buy smth like ice-cream :)

Y

yigido

I think you are talking about Zemana Antimalware as there was a life-time giveway for Zemana Antilogger . If you really need Zemana Antimalware send me a private message I will share with Zemana Antimalware 1 year key (380 days I guess). So, you can save your money and buy smth like ice-cream :)
Ohh thanks friend :) I got the lifetime while I am using ZAM ;) I used it on ZAL
I am loyal user of them ;)

stablish

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2016
Does Rollback Rx has performance impact?

From a Quick view on it I see it writes to the boot process (maybe even into the mbr?) and runs in the background (obviously), but does it actually has some big impact?

Sure security is important, but I won't flood my machine with tools so I can't use my laptop at the end of the day (but having a secure one).

Backup were done with Macrium so far, but is creating snapshots better? Faster for sure, but compared to creating (and in the worst case restoring) backups?

Reactions: askmark

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Does Rollback Rx has performance impact?

From a Quick view on it I see it writes to the boot process (maybe even into the mbr?) and runs in the background (obviously), but does it actually has some big impact?

Sure security is important, but I won't flood my machine with tools so I can't use my laptop at the end of the day (but having a secure one).

Backup were done with Macrium so far, but is creating snapshots better? Faster for sure, but compared to creating (and in the worst case restoring) backups?

Yes and No.

It writes to the boot process, but it will delete and defrag the snapshot data on boot up. This can take 30 sec to a minute depending on your data. Good thing is, if it is taking too long for you (it's personal preference really) then you can turn this off. Doing so will decrease the bootup time, but you'll still want to delete/defrag.

Rollback is a pretty handy tool. I use it in conjunction with Drive Cloner Rx. Some people have gotten it to work with Macrium Reflect, but I can't speak to that personally. It doesn't need to be an 'either/or' you can use both. I prefer Rollback for the speed but if I need to, I'll use the disk image.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
For the money, best values:

1. Shadow Defender (Lifetime: $35)
2. Sandboxie (Lifetime: $50)
3. Rollback Rx Home (freeware)
4. Reboot Restore Rx (freeware)
5. AppGuard (Annual: $40)

Shadow Defender is the best overall deal money-wise, but with freeware Rx products it isn't necessary to buy.

1. Shadow Defender (Lifetime: Giveaway)
2. Sandboxie (Don't need)
3. Rollback Rx Pro (Lifetime: Giveaway)
4. Reboot Restore Rx (Don't need)

5. AppGuard (Annual: $40) - Instead of AppGuard, I use

5. KTS 2016 (Annual: $9)
6. VoodooShield (freeware)

I would like to use appguard but it is too pricey & haven't found a giveaway :p. I used to use NVT ERP but removed it because of too many prompts & too much manage time.

What i am trying to say is all the 5 mentioned above is really worth the money, including VoodooShield Pro.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
no need to pay anything. There are always always good alternatives, of course they can be not as good or functional as paid

- AV: avast (needs tweaks), windefender
- voodooshield free in autopilot mode
- unchecky: optional to prevent PUPs
- macrium, norton ghost in hiren boot CD, windows system restore

I installed avast with some personal tweaks + unchecky in all PCs for my parents, family members and friends. they have never got any infection for years. They are default-allow so UAC is completely useless and annoying for them but I still set enableLUA = 1 to prevent elevated privilege
Some of my friends used to have Kaspersky, WD, norton in default settings installed but when I saw their PCs, they were always infected by PUPs and craps

Free solutions with proper tweaks is the best choice
- novice/average/default-allow users: keep system as simply as possible, no need sophisticated AVs or anti-exe, sandbox,... because they mostly have to deal with PUPs, old malwares and USB malwares
- medium: need more softwares because they know a bit about IT but they don't really know what are they doing. Prone to infection by more recent malwares. They play around with cracks and some softwares
- advanced: don't need to say

H

hjlbx

1. Shadow Defender (Lifetime: Giveaway)
2. Sandboxie (Don't need)
3. Rollback Rx Pro (Lifetime: Giveaway)
4. Reboot Restore Rx (Don't need)

5. AppGuard (Annual: $40) - Instead of AppGuard, I use

5. KTS 2016 (Annual: $9)
6. VoodooShield (freeware)

I would like to use appguard but it is too pricey & haven't found a giveaway :p. I used to use NVT ERP but removed it because of too many prompts & too much manage time.

What i am trying to say is all the 5 mentioned above is really worth the money, including VoodooShield Pro.

There is a freeware alternative to AppGuard. It is Simple Software Restriction Policy from IWR consultancy. There is also the limited freeware version of Bouncer. Finally, there is Smart Object Blocker. Bouncer and SOB control process execution only; to control file system access in user space you will have to find a freeware soft that allows you to modify file system ACL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shukla44

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my view

Voodoshield Paid version is a good product to invest because of lock down feature which effective no matter whst circumstances.

Or a specific AV can be either ESET AV or Norton Symantec for both simple product but totally effective because of their techniques.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.