Battle WOT vs Avast Online Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
I'm looking for a reliable site advisor in case I visit a malcious website (you never know what might happen), I don't really have much experience with any so i would you to give me your personal recommendation, thanks! :)

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
I use WOT + TrafficLight.. Good combo.. WOT is good for detecting spammy and untrusted sites whereas TrafficLight is good for catching malicious and phishing links.. Back it up with Norton DNS and you get the power of Norton Safe Web without sacrificing performance or installing any software.

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Thanks everyone. I tried Comodo and Norton DNS servers but they worsened my latency which resulted in a slower internet speed. I guess i'll get WOT, im not sure if trafficlight would be a good addition though? reviewers say it has a lot of false positives so im not sure..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've never had a positive experience with the Avast Online Security extension, it always conflicted with AdBlock and doesn't really offer good protection. Some features of AOS are locked, unless you have Avast Pro, Internet Security or Premier installed.

Web of Trust is community based with some expert reviews, but mostly based from user experience.

Other extensions by security software vendors are based around using their own engine to scan the sites, and it's emerging that they're offering Phishing, Social and DoNotTrack protection.
- Norton SafeWeb
- McAfee SiteAdvisor
- Bitdefender TrafficLight ( http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/trafficlight.html )
- Avira Browser Safety ( http://malwaretips.com/threads/avira-browser-safety-beta-for-chrome-firefox.18467/ )
- Webutation ( http://www.webutations.org/ )
and many others.

From the above, I would recommend trying out Avira Browser Safety, even though it's still in beta(?). If you consider Bitdefender TrafficLight, by default anonymous usage reports are enabled. Norton and McAfee do not offer browser-only extensions, instead you need to install their software to your PC.

For this, I have voted Other.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Blockulicious gives to many false positives,when it comes to very good web protection,it's hard to beat K9 or Mcafee web protection,it's just that mcafee seems to slow down browser speed.:mad:

Reactions: Venustus and Icy

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
WOT does not have any confidence and trust though.
I tested - I opened completely empty website. Many times. Server was marked as green, domain was marked as green. And after one day was comment - this site contains adult themes, it is dangerous and malicious site etc.
Let me remind you - it was absolutely empty, there was never nothing, but the comments were there.
WOT is downright malevolent, publishes absolutely unverified information.

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
WOT does not have any confidence and trust though.
I tested - I opened completely empty website. Many times. Server was marked as green, domain was marked as green. And after one day was comment - this site contains adult themes, it is dangerous and malicious site etc.
Let me remind you - it was absolutely empty, there was never nothing, but the comments were there.
WOT is downright malevolent, publishes absolutely unverified information.

Do you know any alternatives? I've been looking for one that isn't based on people's votes/opinions

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Do you know any alternatives? I've been looking for one that isn't based on people's votes/opinions
Unfortunately, do not know of any reliable. But why is needed such, which is a downright lie. I could understand, if the page had not been empty. But this one was specially made for testing and was absolutely empty.
And these comments were totally real.
Amazing...
PS - I found out the one, who only such comments writes.

Reactions: Icy

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Personally, i use Google Chrome, with its built in malware and phishing protection, and of course i use VTChromizer extension as well, if im not sure about a site, i will scan it with VT, or i will use other sites like URLVoid or Comodo Site Inspector.

THANK YOU! Just added the extension, I'll keep WOT since it also has its uses and ill scan suspicious sites with VTchromizer. I believe this is enough. Thanks again!

@kaljukass thanks for the warning!

Reactions: illumination

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I've never had a positive experience with the Avast Online Security extension, it always conflicted with AdBlock and doesn't really offer good protection. Some features of AOS are locked, unless you have Avast Pro, Internet Security or Premier installed.

Web of Trust is community based with some expert reviews, but mostly based from user experience.

Other extensions by security software vendors are based around using their own engine to scan the sites, and it's emerging that they're offering Phishing, Social and DoNotTrack protection.
- Norton SafeWeb
- McAfee SiteAdvisor
- Bitdefender TrafficLight ( http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/trafficlight.html )
- Avira Browser Safety ( http://malwaretips.com/threads/avira-browser-safety-beta-for-chrome-firefox.18467/ )
- Webutation ( http://www.webutations.org/ )
and many others.

From the above, I would recommend trying out Avira Browser Safety, even though it's still in beta(?). If you consider Bitdefender TrafficLight, by default anonymous usage reports are enabled. Norton and McAfee do not offer browser-only extensions, instead you need to install their software to your PC.

For this, I have voted Other.

If you want the best of all in one extension then use Webutation, WOT is probably the best stand-alone extension.
Norton SafeWeb- requires installation of Ask Toolbar the latest is now called- Norton Identity Safe which is a password manager with SafeWeb sponsored by Ask Toolbar, however you can not change your default search engine on your browser after installing it you have to use Norton SafeWeb Search provided by Ask.com.

McAfee Stinger- has really went downhill, you can no longer just install the extensions, you have to install the program which continues to run in your system's background and uses resources even in system idle.

Bitdefender TrafficLight- besides of just making web browsing slow, it flags many safe websites and is buggy. It once flagged "malwaretips.com" for being a malware distribution site.

Avira Browser Safety- apparently new and I never got to try it but from what I have found that the newer extensions are not as good as the ones that have been developed for many years.

Avast Online Security- is still new and needs a lot of work, I use it with Webutation and I have found sometimes it can find bad websites that are missed by Webutation. But it should not be used alone.

Free Secure DNS have privacy issues, most record your data and use it however they want to. Most will block many safe websites and can be much slower than using a local DNS service closer to your area.

So WOT is still the best but far from being perfect since trolls which mark safe websites as unsafe and software & malware developers will mark their unsafe websites as safe using proxies and fake accounts to get users to go there. So it is best to always read commits, do your own research and use your own judgement.

Enjoy!! :D

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Avira Browser Safety- apparently new and I never got to try it but from what I have found that the newer extensions are not as good as the ones that have been developed for many years.

Sorry to say but u r wrong at ur this point. After Huracan suggested, i tried & tested Avira browser safety 3-4 times & it mostly blocks latest & oldest malicious/ phishing websites like panda url filter even it blocks those who missed by panda url filter. But sometimes it's miss phishing sites which some caught by panda & K9. K9 with tweak settings detects almost everything but sometimes it gives false positives.

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Sorry to say but u r wrong at ur this point. After Huracan suggested, i tried & tested Avira browser safety 3-4 times & it mostly blocks latest & oldest malicious/ phishing websites like panda url filter even it blocks those who missed by panda url filter. But sometimes it's miss phishing sites which some caught by panda & K9. K9 with tweak settings detects almost everything but sometimes it gives false positives.

So do you recommend adding it to my extensions?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.