Advice Request Would you switch Browsers for your favourite extension?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Why would anyone switch from the Brave browser..
Brave and Vivaldi have ad-blocking included because they offer an alternative advertising scheme (replacing ads with their ads). From a broader perspective, it is a silly situation. Like hiking with a thief who steals from everyone else (other ad-companies and websites you visit), but promises not to steal from you when you disable 'companion stealing'

It is possible though, my father used to race with homing pigeons. When my mother found a little kitten left alone in the country side and took it home, my father promised my mother to kill the damn cat when it would touch one of his racing pidgeons. That kitten grew up to an unusual large tomcat and occasionally came home with rabits and wood pigeoon's but it never touched my father's racing pidgeons. The cat even chased other cats away when they showed interest in my father's pidgeons. It had a happy long life.

So as long as it purrs on your laptop and bytes others you are fine I guess.
1603005917956.png
1603006297747.png

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Some people have ethical and political issues with the creator/founder. No need to discuss them here, but I view it as a valid reason if you feel that conviction.
That's fine, but there's nothing political about the browser itself. Brave and Opera browsers are pushing for the future Web.

Brave and Vivaldi have ad-blocking included because they offer an alternative advertising scheme (replacing ads with their ads). From a broader perspective, it is a silly situation. Like hiking with a thief who steals from everyone else (other ad-companies and websites you visit), but promises not to steal from you when you disable 'companion stealing'
How about people buying Adguard licences? Let's support a company that steals ad-revenue from everyone. Good idea??

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
How about people buying Adguard licences? Let's support a company that steals ad-revenue from everyone. Good idea??
AdGuard's core business is not in replacing ads, but blocking them, Brave's and Vivaldi have gotten money from investor's to set up an alternative advertising scheme. These investments have to paid back with huge risk interest. Adguard's income is based on licenses to block advertisements. Their business promise is identical to their service offering and their funding transparent.

Are you pulling my leg? It is impossible to miss these huge differences in business purpose and business funding (I am the young kid over here, you are the wise and seasoned member, so you are probably ROFL because I answer your response seriously). :oops:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Like hiking with a thief who steals from everyone else (other ad-companies and websites you visit), but promises not to steal from you when you disable 'companion stealing'
I got a good laugh from this analogy. Very funny indeed. All the same, businesses need to make money as you know well since you are in marketing. Adguard and Brave/Vivaldi each have their own business model. The crux seems to be: "Will they be true to their promise?".

Absent any proof, who can say that Adguard won't backdoor your machine or sell your browsing history with their VPN? or maybe it's a Russian government-backed operation? No one has presented evidence of this, nor shown Brave to be breaking their promise.

When it comes down to it, everyone's got a plan to pay the light bill. Firefox takes money from Google and their "business" plan is flailing in the dark. There are trade-offs everywhere in this world:

Firefox can't hike with you because they have only worn-out Nikes and can't afford new shoes. ;)

Brave can hike with me on its promises of trust: to the person who opts-in to their ads and to the person who opts-out. I'd say the former runs the greatest risk, based on feedback in their forum.

Adguard can't hike with me since it's the Ranger at the park kiosk: You can't hike unless you make reservations and pay the Ranger.

In the end, everyone chooses their own poison.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Probably not. I have no intention of going back to Chrome, and practically all other Chromium-based browsers have some form of built-in ad/tracker blocking that can fill the void.
I also have an old AdGuard Premium license if I were that desperate.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
AdGuard's core business is not in replacing ads, but blocking them, Brave's and Vivaldi have gotten money from investor's to set up an alternative advertising scheme. These investments have to paid back with huge risk interest. Adguard's income is based on licenses to block advertisements. Their business promise is identical to their service offering and their funding transparent.

Are you pulling my leg? It is impossible to miss these huge differences in business purpose and business funding (I am the young kid over here, you are the wise and seasoned member, so you are probably ROFL because I answer your response seriously). :oops:
I see the differences between the business models, and do believe Brave Ads and Rewards are superior* to the existing tradional Ad systems.

Or you could be the guy that blocks Ads and sits on the sidelines.

*Not perfect, but better than losing bandwidth/resources to unpleasant, intrusive, click fraud, malvertising Ads.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

It is a recommended addon on Firefox
This does not mean anything.
Why should anyone auto reload tabs? In worst case this can delete data.

Modern browser like Edge send unused tabs to sleep and only wake them up if needed. So this extension would make that feature useless

Reactions: ANNOx

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, I would likely switch out Opera. From what others have said here so far, Edge has somewhat greater leeway, so I will also wait and see. Even though Firefox is hurting a bit, I might return to it and Sandboxie should uBlock Origin show reduced capabilities in my chromium browser/s.

Manifest v. 3: I take the mere threat of it damn seriously.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.