Wozz's Windows 10 Security Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wozz

Level 1
Thread author
May 2, 2017
My computer has been running smoothly, however I would like to find something better to replace Windows Defender with however I am not sure what is the right choice for me would be. I would like something lightweight, easy to use but also configurable. I do run Rkill and MalwareBytes on an as needed basis, it has been a while since I have had a serious Virus/Malware type issue.

I do run a Hyper-V Windows 10 x64 vm for anything shady.

Windows Firewall has been alright but I am not completely happy with it, I want to be able to block all traffic for everything in a specific directory. If I was to change firewalls utilities I would need it to have that functionality.

What are the preferred portable antivirus and network security tools that I should look into? As well as the recommended recovery disc for cleaning a system when it becomes unbootable?

Reactions: Technozz and Rengar

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
1 Real-time Malware Protection: Windows Defender >>> any other av
2 On-demand Scanners: MalwareBytes>>> Add Zemana and soon Herdprotect
3 Browsers and Extensions: Chrome - HTTPS Everywhere, U-Block Origin, Privacy Badger, OneTab, LastPass, The Great Suspender, YouTube Magic-Actions, Send to GMail, Logitech Smooth Scrolling >>>>> You should consider removing some and add ABS

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
Are you advanced user?
If yes I suggest you take a Serious AV That you can tweak and trust on
Like Kaspersky.

Reactions: Rengar

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
My computer has been running smoothly, however I would like to find something better to replace Windows Defender with however I am not sure what is the right choice for me would be. I would like something lightweight, easy to use but also configurable.
Windows Firewall has been alright but I am not completely happy with it, I want to be able to block all traffic for everything in a specific directory. If I was to change firewalls utilities I would need it to have that functionality.
recommended recovery disc for cleaning a system when it becomes unbootable?
If you're not satisfied with the answers here, you can just find people with slow computers. What do you want the configurability for?
Firewall AppBlocker allows you to create rules for Windows Firewall to whitelist outbound connections in already existing executables in a folder. Might be similar if you implement default-deny in Windows Firewall.
Recovery discs recommendations here seem varied. There also tend to have focus on specific topics here. This is old but you can find extra utilities here to confuse you more. Windows recovery tools

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
First enable UAC(preferably to max setting) & Smartscreen as these are integral pieces to Windows 10 built in security.
As for a third party AV/Security Suite that depends on if you want to use a free or paid solution.
Either way you need to enable those two settings because your at risk for something nasty without these enabled.
Consider some type of system & data backup solution.Macrium Reflect & AOMEI backupper both offer good free solutions.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: JM Safe

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
The fact is that users are simply annoyed and probably forget that UAC & Smartscreen are important security features, disabling them as soon as possible; remaining, therefore, most exposed and vulnerable.
This is the fact...

Reactions: Rengar and JM Safe

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Smartscreen and UAC are very important and less intrusive in Windows 10. Give them a try.
You're fine with Windows Defender. The problem in your configuration is not the AV.
Please follow suggestions about backup software.

Reactions: Rengar
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.