Advice Request WSA + WFC

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjm_

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Hello, re: W8.1
Q: does WSA add/change Windows Firewall rules. Should I disable (by WFC) the ability for WSA to add/change Windows Firewall rules.
The SecureAnywhere firewall monitors data traffic traveling out of your computer ports. It looks for untrusted processes that try to connect to the Internet and steal your personal information. It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer. With both the SecureAnywhere and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection.

You should not turn off either the Windows firewall or the SecureAnywhere firewall. If they are disabled, your system is open to many types of threats whenever you connect to the Internet or to a network. These firewalls can block malware, hacking attempts, and other online threats before they can cause damage to your system or compromise your security.

The SecureAnywhere firewall is preconfigured to filter traffic on your computer. It works in the background without disrupting your normal activities. If the firewall detects any unrecognized traffic, it opens an alert where you can block the traffic or allow it to proceed.

May, I run WFC companion to WSA.
May, WSA alerts bump WFC notifications.
May, WFC notifications bump WSA alerts.
Thank you

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Hello, re: W8.1
Q: does WSA add/change Windows Firewall rules. Should I disable (by WFC) the ability for WSA to add/change Windows Firewall rules.

May, I run WFC companion to WSA.
May, WSA alerts bump WFC notifications.
May, WFC notifications bump WSA alerts.
Thank you

On W8.1 the Webroot firewall doesn't work like it does on W7. You will only get Webroot Firewall alerts under specific infection conditions. What those specific infection condition are - I have no idea - because Webroot doesn't\won't fully explain.

The WSA firewall controls do not work on W8.1 and W10. This has been true since W8.1 was introduced years ago - and Webroot never did anything about it. The WSA firewall controls only work on W7.

Webroot stated they would be doing something about this, but no ETA - so it might be a long time before they come up with something.

I'm not sure if Webroot modifies Windows' default firewall rules. It probably just adds rules for WSA itself.

You can run WFC and WSA together. WFC is just a GUI for Windows Firewall.

It is possible that you can get duplicate WSA and WFC firewall alerts.

I used WSA with WFC at one time. They work OK together.

Last edited by a moderator:

bjm_

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Hello hjlbx,
So, official Webroot Firewall descriptive content here and here do not apply to W8.1/10.
Hmm, Webroot needs to update/clarify Webroot Firewall descriptive content.
So, as Webroot Firewall (W8.1/10) alerts only for specific (known by Webroot) infection conditions.
Then, no need to disable (by WFC) the ability for WSA to add/change Windows Firewall rules.
Yes, I was wanting friendly functional, featured GUI for Windows Firewall (W8.1).

H

hjlbx

Hello hjlbx,
So, official Webroot Firewall descriptive content here and here do not apply to W8.1/10.
Hmm, Webroot needs to update/clarify Webroot Firewall descriptive content.
So, as Webroot Firewall (W8.1/10) alerts only for specific (known by Webroot) infection conditions.
Then, no need to disable (by WFC) the ability for WSA to add/change Windows Firewall rules.
Yes, I was wanting friendly functional, featured GUI for Windows Firewall (W8.1).

Webroot states their firewall will alert when it detects untrusted traffic. In testing many malwares on W8.1 and 10, I have never seen a WSA firewall alert - not once.

WSA does not allow the creation of exceptions in firewall on W8.1 and 10; the controls do not function. If you want tighter control, then it would be best to use WFC with WSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.