HitmanPro.Alert 3.x.x
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana AntiLogger
HitmanPro
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome 64-bit: LastPass, Web Boost, uBlock Origin, Google Data Saver, IDM extension

Pale Moon 27 64-bit: LastPass, Decentraleyes (jetpack version), uBlock Origin

Vivaldi 64-bit: LastPass, uBlock Origin, Web Boost
Maintenance tools
CCleaner Free, Process Lasso Pro, Veracrypt, BatteryCare, Revo Uninstaller, O&O ShutUp10
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Professional

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Update!

Removed: ESET Smart Security 9
Added: Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 MR1, HitmanPro.Alert 3.1, ReHIPS (Beta), Cyberfox (Intel 64-bit)

I know that AppGuard with ReHIPS should be enough. However, I'm not technically good at detecting real malware. So, AV/AM is my malware detector.
Cyberfox is installed for ReHIPS testing. Google Chrome and Vivaldi were my main browsers. But sadly ReHIPS would only let me up to 10 processes to be isolated due to it being a free version. Pale Moon was my main browser for ReHIPS, but for now it has problems with ReHIPS. So, I had to change my main browser to Cyberfox.

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Update!

Removed: Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 MR1
Added/Changed: Windows Defender, Windows Firewall

I decided this because I thought that I already had overlapping protections with KIS and others. I could dump the others in favor of KIS, but I thought that others are more specialized, and so should provide more protection.

ReHIPS is a sandboxing and HIPS program.
HMP.A is an anti-exploit program with risk reduction features.
ZAM Premium has a Real-time protection with Pandora technology.
AppGuard is a system-wide isolation and containment.
CryptoPrevent, although redundant, should provide static protection when all other 3rd party security softwares are disabled.

With Windows Defender, all I get is a baseline protection. It's not the best nor the worst. And my 3rd party security softwares should be able to complement it.

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Update!

Removed: Zemana AntiMalware Premium, ReHIPS (Beta), CryptoPrevent 7, HitmanPro.Alert, On-demand scanners (HitmanPro, Zemana AntiMalware), Browsers with their respective extensions/add-ons (Pale Moon 64-bit, Cyberfox 64-bit, Vivaldi 64-bit), RollBack Rx Professional

Added: Zemana Antilogger Premium (also as on-demand scanner), Windows Firewall Control

Changes were made primarily due to the resetting (re-installation) of the OS. I just exchanged ZAM Premium to ZAL Premium. I was having problems with ReHIPS licensing, and so I uninstalled it. HitmanPro.Alert and HitmanPro can't be installed this time due to Secure Boot, which I'm not willing to turn off. RollBack Rx Professional hasn't been reinstalled because of Secure Boot, also. Others are gone mainly because of the reset.

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Mods, please delete this double-post:

Update!

Removed: Zemana AntiMalware Premium, ReHIPS (Beta), CryptoPrevent 7, HitmanPro.Alert, On-demand scanners (HitmanPro, Zemana AntiMalware), Browsers with their respective extensions/add-ons (Pale Moon 64-bit, Cyberfox 64-bit, Vivaldi 64-bit), RollBack Rx Professional

Added: Zemana Antilogger Premium (also as on-demand scanner), Windows Firewall Control

Changes were made primarily due to the resetting (re-installation) of the OS. I just exchanged ZAM Premium to ZAL Premium. I was having problems with ReHIPS licensing, and so I uninstalled it. HitmanPro.Alert and HitmanPro can't be installed this time due to Secure Boot, which I'm not willing to turn off. RollBack Rx Professional hasn't been reinstalled because of Secure Boot, also. Others are gone mainly because of the reset.

Reactions: JM Safe

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Update!

Whats not working in HMPA ?
I installed and am tinkering with it, it seems fine, what should I look for ?
HMPA_SS.png

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Whats not working in HMPA ?
I installed and am tinkering with it, it seems fine, what should I look for ?
HMPA_SS.png
Updating to the Anniversary Update doesn't result in an error. But if you reset the OS or make a clean installation, Erik said that it would result in errors. I did an OS reset.
Nice config, thank you for sharing @XhenEd :) How do you like WD?
I like it so far, but the system slows down when opening a folder full of executables due to its scanning of the files.
But actually, I don't rely on Windows Defender. It's just there for scanning purposes. And even then, I rely more on ZAL, than it. :)

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Update!

Added: Bitdefender Internet Security 2016, Heimdal PRO, uBlock Origin (Chrome extension)
Removed: Windows Defender (not actually removed :D ), Windows Firewall Control, Adguard for Desktop

This is actually a second change. The first was that I changed to Emsisoft Internet Security 11 and HitmanPro.Alert. But, just recently, I decided to try Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 again due to its free 6-month subscription. HMP.A has a known incompatibility with Bitdefender, so I uninstalled it. Adguard also wouldn't be effective due to conflict of SSL certificate, so I uninstalled it too.

With my current setup, so far, so good. :)

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Update!

Removed: Bitdefender Internet Security 2016, Zemana Antilogger Premium, Heimdal PRO
Added: Windows Defender, Binisoft Windows Firewall Control, HitmanPro.Alert 3.5, VoodooShield Pro (Beta)

Actually, those that have been removed were removed a month or two ago. I was just lazy to update my security config here. :D
Before the update, I've used KIS 2017. :)

The biggest change right now is the inclusion of VS Pro (Beta). I'm testing it to see how it works. :)
The one that hasn't changed (for a long time now!) is AppGuard 4. AG has always been my favorite security software.

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Update!

Removed: Windows Defender (disabled), Zemana AntiMalware
Added: Zemana AntiLogger (on-demand), Pale Moon 27 64-bit (along w/ its add-ons), Vivaldi 64-bit (along w/ its extensions), O&O ShutUp10

I'm currently "AV-less", and therefore anyone who follows my config must proceed with caution, as I still would personally recommend having an AV for general use.

Disabling Windows Defender (through O&O ShutUp10) was initially just a test, that is, to test whether it was the cause of slowdown of my laptop. And rightly so, after disabling it and restarting the system, startup was way faster, launching programs was quicker, and navigating through folders with several executables had no slowdown. Because of this, I decided to let it be disabled.

My laptop is sufficiently protected by AppGuard Professional, VoodooShield Pro, and HitmanPro.Alert, together with scheduled on-demand scan of ZAL and HMP, so disabling Windows Defender is fine.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Update!

Removed: Windows Defender (disabled), Zemana AntiMalware
Added: Zemana AntiLogger (on-demand), Pale Moon 27 64-bit (along w/ its add-ons), Vivaldi 64-bit (along w/ its extensions), O&O ShutUp10

I'm currently "AV-less", and therefore anyone who follows my config must proceed with caution, as I still would personally recommend having an AV for general use.

Disabling Windows Defender (through O&O ShutUp10) was initially just a test, that is, to test whether it was the cause of slowdown of my laptop. And rightly so, after disabling it and restarting the system, startup was way faster, launching programs was quicker, and navigating through folders with several executables had no slowdown. Because of this, I decided to let it be disabled.

My laptop is sufficiently protected by AppGuard Professional, VoodooShield Pro, and HitmanPro.Alert, together with scheduled on-demand scan of ZAL and HMP, so disabling Windows Defender is fine.
Yes @XhenEd with that software and your expert knowledge i am sure you will be safe enough my friend. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.