Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana AntMalware
HitmanPro
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome: uBlock Origin, LastPass, Data Saver, Decentraleyes, Grammarly, Message deleter for Slack, Nano Defender, OneNote Web Clippier, XDM browser monitor
Mozilla Firefox Quantum: uBlock Origin, LastPass, Decentraleyes, OneNote Web Clipper, Grammarly, XDM browser monitor
Pale Moon
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag, Revo Uninstaller
File and Photo backup
OneDrive
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Home

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
This is my new configuration for my laptop.

HP Pavilion 14-v241tx
Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U @ 2.2GHz (up to 2.7GHz) Dual Core
RAM: 8GB Dual Channel
GPU [Optimus]: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and NVIDIA GeForce 830M
Hard Drive: 500GB HDD

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks for posting it :)
Well covered configuration, I think everything is good, maybe a separate data backup would be useful, but if you plan frequent system images, they probably also contain these data.

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks, all! :)

Thanks for posting it :)
Well covered configuration, I think everything is good, maybe a separate data backup would be useful, but if you plan frequent system images, they probably also contain these data.
Yes, I agree. But my current situation prevents me from having one separate data backup. But of course, I will have an external backup in the future, for sure. :)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
No denying that this is fool-proof security setup alongside backup.
I have a question, wouldn't KIS+AppGuard+HMPA be a slight overkill?
KIS and AppGuard are already top-notch solutions of two different kinds for a 360 protection. Maybe HMPA can be kept limited to some of its unique offerings? You must be having some reason for keeping this one :)

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
No denying that this is fool-proof security setup alongside backup.
I have a question, wouldn't KIS+AppGuard+HMPA be a slight overkill?
KIS and AppGuard are already top-notch solutions of two different kinds for a 360 protection. Maybe HMPA can be kept limited to some of its unique offerings? You must be having some reason for keeping this one :)
Yes, I admit that keeping those three realtime protection is a bit overkill. Personally, AppGuard would be enough. :)

But I decided to keep the three to cover the two stages of protection. First stage is the pre-execution protection. And the second stage is the post-execution protection. AppGuard and Kaspersky would deal with the first stage. AppGuard, Kaspersky, and HMP.A would deal with the second stage. There is a third stage, which is the post-infection remediation, which Macrium Reflect covers.

I'm not an expert at determining whether a file is malicious, so a help for post-execution is needed. Yes, I know the obvious things about malware. But, I'm not adept at dealing with the unknowns. This is why I use Kaspersky and HMP.A to monitor and block any malicious software I might run manually.

I also believe that HMP.A has a superior anti-exploit protection than Kaspersky's. So, even though Kaspersky has its own anti-exploit module, I decided to keep HitmanPro.Alert.

In the end, though, AppGuard is enough to protect me, and the other two are just there for post-execution monitoring. :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, I admit that keeping those three realtime protection is a bit overkill. Personally, AppGuard would be enough. :)

But I decided to keep the three to cover the two stages of protection. First stage is the pre-execution protection. And the second stage is the post-execution protection. AppGuard and Kaspersky would deal with the first stage. AppGuard, Kaspersky, and HMP.A would deal with the second stage. There is a third stage, which is the post-infection remediation, which Macrium Reflect covers.

I'm not an expert at determining whether a file is malicious, so a help for post-execution is needed. Yes, I know the obvious things about malware. But, I'm not adept at dealing with the unknowns. This is why I use Kaspersky and HMP.A to monitor and block any malicious software I might run manually.

I also believe that HMP.A has a superior anti-exploit protection than Kaspersky's. So, even though Kaspersky has its own anti-exploit module, I decided to keep HitmanPro.Alert.

In the end, though, AppGuard is enough to protect me, and the other two are just there for post-execution monitoring. :)
great explanation. I like your approach.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016

Fantastic!
Let me inform you that I haven't tried AppGuard since I wasn't on the roads when that stuff was happening. Yet I've learnt about it from the testers and the dev here. Can't say how compatible it is with the other two combined, but the other two fare well together.
As you mentioned about the levels, they are justified and pretty solid :)

Fantastic!
Let me inform you that I haven't tried AppGuard since I wasn't on the roads when that stuff was happening. Yet I've learnt about it from the testers and the dev here. Can't say how compatible it is with the other two combined, but the other two fare well together.
As you mentioned about the levels, they are justified and pretty solid :)

I can assure everyone that AppGuard causes no problems with any antivirus\internet security suites. Some problems arise when users employ a portable scanner in User Space - such as Emsisoft Emergency Kit or HitmanPro - without creating the proper rules. That being said, they generally figure it out by themselves or ask for help and get the problem solved quickly.

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Update!

Removed: HitmanPro.Alert
Changed: KIS 2017 to KIS 2018

This change happened months ago. I just didn't update the thread. :)

I removed HMP.A because of failed Windows updates and an incompatibility problem with an application. I used the Beta version, by the way. :)
I upgraded KIS 2017 to KIS 2018 because, well, I just wanted to, and it's cool. :cool:

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Update!

Removed: HitmanPro.Alert
Changed: KIS 2017 to KIS 2018

This change happened months ago. I just didn't update the thread. :)

I removed HMP.A because of failed MS updates and an incompatibility problem with an application. I used the Beta version, by the way. :)
I upgraded KIS 2017 to KIS 2018 because, well, I just wanted to, and it's cool. :cool:
When you said HMPA is causing problem to MS updates are you referring to auto updates or manual updates?

Does KIS provides strong exploit protection like HMPA?

Thanks

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
When you said HMPA is causing problem to MS updates are you referring to auto updates or manual updates?
I think it's the auto updates. But maybe it's both.

Does KIS provides strong exploit protection like HMPA?

From my perspective, HMP.A's exploit mitigation is more powerful because it's made and designed as a specialized application targeting exploits. Kaspersky has exploit protection, but it just doesn't have the many mitigations present in HMP.A.

Don't be misinformed, though, although it doesn't have the specialized mitigations found in HMP.A, Kaspersky employs other techniques that still protect against exploits and vulnerabilities. :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.