Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana AntMalware
HitmanPro
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome: uBlock Origin, LastPass, Data Saver, Decentraleyes, Grammarly, Message deleter for Slack, Nano Defender, OneNote Web Clippier, XDM browser monitor
Mozilla Firefox Quantum: uBlock Origin, LastPass, Decentraleyes, OneNote Web Clipper, Grammarly, XDM browser monitor
Pale Moon
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag, Revo Uninstaller
File and Photo backup
OneDrive
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Home

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
This is my new configuration for my laptop.

HP Pavilion 14-v241tx
Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U @ 2.2GHz (up to 2.7GHz) Dual Core
RAM: 8GB Dual Channel
GPU [Optimus]: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and NVIDIA GeForce 830M
Hard Drive: 500GB HDD

I am glad to hear that you are a supporter of Pale Moon, like me... it is cooler than Firefox!
I have New Moon!
- maybe get rid of HTTPS Everywhere extension (because you can't see some websites but google SSL error nag screen), and download Smart HTTPS, and too ContentBlockHelper and ScriptSafe .. or ScriptSafe only

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I am glad to hear that you are a supporter of Pale Moon, like me... it is cooler than Firefox!
I have New Moon!
- maybe get rid of HTTPS Everywhere extension (because you can't see some websites but google SSL error nag screen), and download ContentBlockHelper and ScriptSafe .. or ScriptSafe only
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into those. :)

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
.. and "Block Malicious File Downloads" (you have Options possibility ..) or "Executable Extension Blocker", if you wish .. these two blocks cmd.exe too! <-- Chrome extensions

Look here and scare you by the fear... (after read source link) Threat Hunting, the Investigation of Fileless Malware Attacks

If not how would you block cmd.exe by other simple (reversible) means, please?

"cmd /v:eek:n /c for / "

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Update!

Added: Emsisoft Anti-Malware, HitmanPro.Alert, uBlock Origin (browser extension/add-on), EagleGet (together w/ its extension/add-on), and Mozilla Firefox Quantum
Removed: Kaspersky Internet Security 2018, Adguard for Desktop, and Internet Download Manager (together w/ its extension/add-on)

Finally, I've changed my AV from KIS 2018 to EAM. My KIS license will soon expire, so I decided to try out EAM.

HitmanPro.Alert has been installed for quite some time now. I just didn't update the thread.

Instead of Adguard and IDM, I'm now using uBlock Origin and EagleGet.

I've also added Firefox Quantum. I've put it as my default browser. :)

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Why'd you change for these?
I've changed to uBlock Origin because I suspected Adguard was the cause of the slow boot time. I was wrong, actually. Adguard wasn't the cause. I just got lazy on reinstalling it. :LOL:

I've changed to EagleGet, simply because my IDM license has expired. My license for IDM isn't lifetime. :)

About Firefox, when the new one was released, I immediately downloaded and installed it to test. I was surprised about its speed and responsiveness. So, I made it my default browser. Chrome is laggy on Facebook, unlike with Firefox Quantum. :cool:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.