Xpressive Configuration

xpressive

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
BackUp: Microsoft SkyDrive, External HDD.
DNS Server: OpenDNS
Music and Video: VLC Media Player
System Cleaner: Bleachbit
Virtual Machine: Microsoft Virtual PC
Encryption: TrueCrypt
Penetration Testing: Metasploit
Disk Destroying: KillDisk
Hacking Utilities: Lot's
Download Tools: Internet Download Manager
Dual OS With: Backtrack 5
Programming Suite: Microsoft Visual Studio 6, Notepad++, XAMPP, Eclipse
Task Manager: Process Hacker
-------------------
STEAM ID: "xpressive1"

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You've mixed up some of your Realtime and On-Demand tools? ZoneAlarm Firewall should be Realtime protection. ;)

Microsoft Security Essentials succeeds Windows Defender, therefore Windows Defender can be uninstalled/disabled.

Kompas Antivirus isn't that good. ClamWin isn't worth much if you have an Antivirus already.

Recommended to run 1 antivirus only; MSE or Avast. Not both, else conflicts may occur.

And Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is a better on-demand scanner. No need to pirate for Pro version. :)666:)

xpressive

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
Earth said:
You've mixed up some of your Realtime and On-Demand tools? ZoneAlarm Firewall should be Realtime protection. ;)

Microsoft Security Essentials succeeds Windows Defender, therefore Windows Defender can be uninstalled/disabled.

Kompas Antivirus isn't that good. ClamWin isn't worth much if you have an Antivirus already.

Recommended to run 1 antivirus only; MSE or Avast. Not both, else conflicts may occur.

And Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is a better on-demand scanner. No need to pirate for Pro version. :)666:)

I use Kompas because it's good to detect Indonesian local virus, as it's made from Indonesia and the maker of kompas also my friend.

I use ClamWin because it's free and open-source on-demand scanner, but thanks i will think to switch to MBAM Free or Pro :)

Windows Defender are came with my "Windows XP" CD and thanks, I already disabled them.

I never have conflicts with Avast And MSE within 2 years so It's not a problem.

ZoneAlarm? Thanks i already fix the post.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Clamwin has got really poor detection rate. It sometimes fails to detected few months malware.

xpressive

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
MalwareCenter said:
Clamwin has got really poor detection rate. It sometimes fails to detected few months malware.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will switch to MBAM. "DOWNLOADING..."
Oh god, my connection is slow as turtle.

indra11tng said:
Why you dont use Smadav or PCMAV?

Smadav was very bad solution with Small list of database and failed to fight with Sality and Ramnit.
PCMAV was slow as hell, but I use the Express program such us PCMAV Express for Ramnit.

and are you from Indonesia?

indra11tng

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2013
xpressive said:
indra11tng said:
Why you dont use Smadav or PCMAV?

Smadav was very bad solution with Small list of database and failed to fight with Sality and Ramnit.
PCMAV was slow as hell, but I use the Express program such us PCMAV Express for Ramnit.

and are you from Indonesia?

I'm from Indonesia, If you visited http://forum.virusindonesia.com you know me from my nickname this forum. :)
You must use PCMAV 9.2, more faster than before version. :D
*Sorry My English is Bad :(

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Overkill. Do you even NEED those many applications?

My opinion:
Real-time: MSE OR Avast!
On-demand: MBAM Free
Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free
Others: CCleaner, Sandboxie

check this out: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Guide-to-free-security-for-novices

xpressive

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
@BSOD

YES, a high level security that kill my PC :D!

MSE or Avast! : what do you think better?
MBAM Free : Downloaded, I think the program wasn't enough without Threatfire!
Firewall : Since ZoneAlarm Firewall Plus discontinued, thanks i will switch to ZoneAlarm Free

UPDATED!

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
If I were you I will choose avast!. :) What version of Threatfire are you using by the way?

xpressive

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
@King Mellow
Thanks, I will change to avast!

The Last and the Latest (symantec kill him)
http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?68805-Release-of-ThreatFire-v4-7-0-53

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
why you are using Microsoft Security Essential, Threatfire (CyberHawk), Avast Free together? (many security programs don't mean it will keep you safer)
I suggest to change them with Bitdefender AV FREE, its better in protection and light on system ( I don't recommend avast )
also u can use comodo firewall,
(try to choose the best with low impact on system)

xpressive

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
@technology
Bitdefender AV free just provide scanner only, virus Guard are not real-time-protection system.
MSE is actually disabled, switched to Avast.
Threatfire is not AntiVirus, it's a zero-day threat protections. protect from all malicious activity.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
You can also try CIS. It's very light on system. :)

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
xpressive said:
@technology
Bitdefender AV free just provide scanner only, virus Guard are not real-time-protection system.
MSE is actually disabled, switched to Avast.
Threatfire is not AntiVirus, it's a zero-day threat protections. protect from all malicious activity.

BDAV free its real time protection anti-virus with Behavior blocker and web protection
CFW have many feature its not just firewall it have cloud protection+visualization+HIPS to protect you from zero-day threat
In my openion BDAVfree + cfw will be very effective, simple and light on system resources
also i suggest you to use password manager "lastpass extension" with firefox

and just FYI: Norton DNS is better in blocking malicious sites
Open DNS is better in blocking phishing sites

xpressive

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
@technology
Thanks, looking forward to BDAV.
Comodo FireWall? Downloading...
lastpass? Added.
what is the dns of Norton, i want to try :D

@King Mellow
Thanks looking forward to it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Heads up, Bitdefender products have Anonymous usage reports enabled by default.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.