xSOS AI enhanced Firewall

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I found this rather interesting and different kind of firewall for Windows (64 bit only) with a unique approach to data protection it is called xSOS Firewall

This firewall uses an IP geo-location database which you must buy separately to protect your data from here.

What it looks like it does use the database to match the site you are opening to its actual IP and blocking other connections leaching off of it like Google, Amazon etc... thus blocking tracking and data collection.

I wanted to test it out but could not install it and after some email exchanges with them the developer they reproduced the problem and released a new version. The latest release works, now the GUI is not the prettiest and a little difficult to figure out but this is a brand new software so I am sure as it develops it will get better.

I tested the trial internet privacy version, it works but I did not purchase the IP data base, at least not yet, to test the AI mode.

If it works like I think it does one would be able to block everything from Facebook to Government trackers and data leaches but at a cost of keeping the IP database up to date .

What do you think?

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
The ideas a bit like Peerblock, but a bit more functionality added to it. Not sure I like the UI either, looks very 90's styled. Not a massive fan xD

~LDogg

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Mmm perhaps a good idea and of course if it works, but personal I would want to be more sure before I would purchase the database.

Actually stumbled a few days ago over a Google project that's supposed to block any data from all mobile apps even scheduled, but that's another topic.

Thanks for the share @Kubla

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and Weebarra

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Mmm perhaps a good idea and of course if it works, but personal I would want to be more sure before I would purchase the database.

Actually stumbled a few days ago over a Google project that's supposed to block any data from all mobile apps even scheduled, but that's another topic.

Thanks for the share @Kubla

I agree, I have been looking around at free IP databases that would work with it just for testing to see how it works before buying the recommended one, but so far have not found anything in the format it will install. Then again I don't know much about IP databases, never had the need to use one before so bit of a learning curve right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and upnorth

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I asked the developer about the IP Data Base requirement and this is what he emailed back:

Hi,

Yes, to get the full functionality of the intelligent firewall you need the IP database.
With the database a network trace will translate IP addresses into organization names.
The firewall requires it to identify the IP ranges assigned to each organization.

Currently supported is the one you mentioned.

Usually, they offer licenses for 10 servers for 79 Euro, including monthly updates.
This is a good option, especially if you have more than 1 PC.
Monthly updates are not absolutely required, but preferred.
The IPv4 address allocation is not changing much, especially for the larger organizations.

As an experiment I opened Brave Browser then did a trace with the xSOS firewall and connected to a news site then stopped the log.
It looks like this:

Just opening the web site there were 97 connections from 19 entities, so it looks like that IP database is required to identify those connections and their organizations so you can block them should you wish.

I also assume that the AI would use the database to only connect to the valid IP of this news site blocking or disregarding all the other connections.

I am liking this idea more and more, essentially this would allow you to browse the net where you control it instead of it controlling you.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Well done in going the extra mile and getting more information about this product from the dev's of this software directly. Gives you a more in depth understanding of the software and it's capabilities.

~LDogg

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Update:

There is a new version out that now supports Brave browser xSOS Firewall

I got the required database, now I can easily trace sites, research connections, and block organizations, and used this site as a starting point for testing. WhoTracksMe

So far I have been able to block 44 organizations, including all of Facebook, I never used it anyway, and some of Google.

xSOS4.jpg

This is really blanket blocking, the catch is blocking the big ones like Fastly, Coudfront, Akamai Technologies , Google, Microsoft etc... will break many if not most sites and no doubt have trackers and data lecher's along side the needed things for websites to run so a more granular approach would be needed for them.

This is a sample of blocking after visiting five different sites:

xSOS3.jpg

I must admit it is nice to be in the drivers seat deciding who my browser connects to and who it doesn't instead of being at the mercy of websites.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.