XVSkulblaka7's Config [07.18.2013]

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [06.01.2013]

*ADDED:
Anti-Keylogger Software: Keyscrambler Premium

This is the ONLY anti-keylogger software that offers full support on a Windows 8 64-bit system that encrypts keystrokes.
Though it is app-specific, it protects a huge variety of software.

I tested it with Zemana's test keylogger. It not only encrypts keystrokes but fools the keylogger that its using a 'virtual keyboard'.

More info: http://www.qfxsoftware.com/ks-windows/which-keyscrambler.htm

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [05.27.2013]

XVSkulblaka7 said:
*Edited config:
ADDED - Hosts File Editor/Sources: Hostsman (MVPS | hpHosts Ad & tracking servers | Peter Lowe's Adservers List | Malware Domain List | DNS-BH – Malware Domain Blocklist)

I would like to thank Overkill with his amazing config for me to try Hostsman. :D

Your very welcome, i'm glad you like my config and layout

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [05.28.2013]

XVSkulblaka7 said:
*ADDED:
HostsMan Filters: someonewhocares.org | MalwarePatrol | ZeuS Tracker
PeerBlock Filters: Bad Peers | Hijacked | Hackers | ZeuS

Thanks never heard of Malware Patrol

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [06.02.2013]

*UNINSTALLED:
KeyScrambler Premium (Used it for about 15 days): I uninstalled it because it caused a noticeable delay on the apps it protects, and it crashes at times. Just recently, it also caused a BSOD (my first time on a Windows 8 system), when I tried to log-on my account.

I think the protection of Norton 360 and Webroot SA Antivirus will protect me from keyloggers, if not protecting every keystroke.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [06.16.2013]

INSTALLED: Bitdefender Total Security 2014
UNINSTALLED: Norton 360

I just experienced an infection of the Zeus Trojan that spread via flash drive that Norton failed to block.
This is my VERY FIRST TIME that my system got infected.
It was resolved by doing a quick scan then a full scan afterwards.
Even though the traces of the virus is gone, I was surprised that Norton didn't block it.

Being a bit perfectionist when it comes to Antiviruses, and that I have been impressed with the effectiveness of Bitdefender, I am now trying its 90 day trial of Bitdefender Total Security 2014.

I tried it's 2013 edition but after a week I uninstalled it because of the major impact it gave my system.
But now for 2014, I was surprised. It is actually LIGHTER than expected.
Web pages load a bit faster, programs responded quickly, and all Bitdefender processes is using only less than 30mb of RAM when idle.

I'll continue to try Bitdefender, and maybe even stick to it, because it has a GREAT detection rate and unbelievably LIGHT resources.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [07.06.2013]

In Bitdefender settings click on firewall, then advanced, then switch the Intrusion detection system on. It's a nice extra layer. Dumping Norton for Bitdefender is a wise move is you ask me, glad it's running well for you.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author

ZeroDay said:
In Bitdefender settings click on firewall, then advanced, then switch the Intrusion detection system on. It's a nice extra layer. Dumping Norton for Bitdefender is a wise move is you ask me, glad it's running well for you.

Thanks ZeroDay.
The Intrusion Detection System is ON - Permissive by default upon install.
Should I change it to Aggressive?

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author

I used it on Aggressive but just being on should be fine. You're right to, this new BD is so light and smooth I'm yet to find fault with it.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author

UNINSTALLED: Webroot SecureAnyware Antivirus and Soluto.
Webroot conflicts with Bitdefender, and I think Bitdefender is effective enough to protect my system.
Soluto was great, but I think using Autoruns/Tuneup's Startup Manager will be more efficient and faster.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Scan the other PCs for infections to prevent further spreading.

How was it that your PC got infected, with the trojan? What kind of file was it?

XVSkulblaka7 said:
I just experienced an infection of the Zeus Trojan that spread via flash drive that Norton failed to block.
This is my VERY FIRST TIME that my system got infected.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author

Earth said:
Scan the other PCs for infections to prevent further spreading.

How was it that your PC got infected, with the trojan? What kind of file was it?

It was my laptop that got infected. It wasn't connected to a network of some sort, so I believe it didn't spread. It's a type of trojan that spreads via flash drive, infecting it once it is connected.

My friend plugged in his flash drive to my laptop, then there was a popup of Norton saying that it detected a threat. But once I plugged in another flash drive, the contents of it are being infected. I immediately did a scan and successfully removed the virus from both my laptop and our infected flash drives.

Unfortunately, Norton failed to block the threat in entering my system, which gave me great concern. So that's why I switched to Bitdefender.

I'll upload a report from Norton showing the details of the virus.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author

Here is the 2 reports from Norton

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 468
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 369
F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [07.09.2013]

UNINSTALLED: Picasa
INSTALLED:Zoner Photo Studio Pro

I find Picasa hard to edit photos quickly (cropping, quick fixes, resize, etc) and I wanted a photo editor program that is like the Microsoft Office Photo Manager. Unfortunately, this is not available from the 2013 edition. So I researched some of the best ones and downloaded Zoner.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I wasn't aware that Google were still releasing updates for Picasa for desktop.

On the desktop, I use either MS Paint, Windows Live Photo Gallery or Expression Design for photo-editing. And for uploaded images for public use, I use Imgur.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Earth said:
On the desktop, I use either MS Paint, ....

The wonders of MS Paint :rolleyes:

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author

Ugh... I'm planning to change my Antivirus. Bitdefender has many bugs, most notably the flash videos "ghost" traffic bug.
I want to go back to Norton, but its recent failure to block an infection made me think otherwise.

I am also interested in Comodo Internet Security but many antivirus testing companies (AV-test, AV-comparatives) says that it has low detection rates on its antivirus side. But I have tried it's firewall a long time ago and I loved it.

So any suggestions on what antivirus/security suite I should use?

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author

You could try Bitdefender antivirus along with comodo firewall and it's auto-sandbox set to full virtualization. I did some testing yesterday, I tested CIS against 100 malware samples. Please note that at the time comodo were having problems with their back end so there hadn't been any updates for 2 days and their cloud was down. On a context menu scan CIS detected only 24 out 100 due to their update and cloud problem. But every single one of the other samples were sandboxed as fully-virtualized and upon reboot and sandbox clean the system was clean as a whistle. If you want to give CIS a shot I really wouldn't worry about it's AV. Just set the auto-sandbox to fully-virtualized and you wont have any infections.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author

ZeroDay said:
You could try Bitdefender antivirus along with comodo firewall and it's auto-sandbox set to full virtualization. I did some testing yesterday, I tested CIS against 100 malware samples. Please note that at the time comodo were having problems with their back end so there hadn't been any updates for 2 days and their cloud was down. On a context menu scan CIS detected only 24 out 100 due to their update and cloud problem. But every single one of the other samples were sandboxed as fully-virtualized and upon reboot and sandbox clean the system was clean as a whistle. If you want to give CIS a shot I really wouldn't worry about it's AV. Just set the auto-sandbox to fully-virtualized and you wont have any infections.

I think Bitdefender's Free Edition is "incomplete", based on my opinion.
It provides very little customization for the user.
I'm currently downloading Comodo Internet Security and will give it a try

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author

UNINSTALLED: Bitdefender Total Security 2013
INSTALLED: Comodo Internet Security Premium 6.2

As I said on my previous post, Bitdefender has so many bugs, it made my browsing on the internet very unstable, especially in watching flash videos.
So I tried Comodo Internet Security because I was a fan of its firewall and many users believe its HIPS and BB are very effective.
Though Comodo's AV is a bit low in detection rate on some AV testing companies (AV-Test, AV-Comparatives), it needs to pass Comodo's powerful firewall and HIPS to even enter the system. I feel secure already.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.