XVSkulblaka7's Config [07.18.2013]

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [07.09.2013]

Have you enabled full virtualization in the auto-sandbox settings?

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [07.09.2013]

ZeroDay said:
Have you enabled full virtualization in the auto-sandbox settings?

Yes.

Real-time Protection: Comodo Internet Security Premium 6.2 (Antivirus: STATEFUL | Auto-Sandbox: FULLY VIRTUALIZED | HIPS: SAFE MODE | Firewall: SAFE MODE)

I followed the guide provided by Comodo.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [07.13.2013]

Nicely setup :) I set AV to on access and the firewall to custom rule set, I keep hips in safe mode though. As long as full virtualization is enabled your safe anyway, it's rock solid.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [07.16.2013]

REPLACED: Comodo Antivirus with Avast Free Antivirus 8, retained Comodo Firewall.

Avast with Comodo Firewall is a common combo for most users, and is one of the most effective ones.
I have tried this combo long time ago, and now today.
With the Best Free Antivirus with the Best Firewall (based on online research and tests) I should't feel insecure about my security now. =)

Webroot

Verified
Jul 16, 2013
RE: XVSkulblaka7's Config [07.16.2013]

XVSkulblaka7 said:
Ugh... I'm planning to change my Antivirus. Bitdefender has many bugs, most notably the flash videos "ghost" traffic bug.
I want to go back to Norton, but its recent failure to block an infection made me think otherwise.

I am also interested in Comodo Internet Security but many antivirus testing companies (AV-test, AV-comparatives) says that it has low detection rates on its antivirus side. But I have tried it's firewall a long time ago and I loved it.

So any suggestions on what antivirus/security suite I should use?

Give Webroot a try. You can get a free trial at http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/trials

Whoever posted earlier that Webroot conflicts with BitDefender -- that shouldn't be the case. We've tested our client with all the other major products available and there should be no issues with conflicts. If that is the case, we would be more than happy to investigate.

We offer superior Keylogger protection and have features available to protect against unknown keyloggers by blocking the collection of keystrokes while on secure sites.

Give it a try, I'm sure you'll love it.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
INSTALLED: Comodo Dragon
UNINSTALLED: Google Chrome

Comodo Dragon is Chrome based, meaning the environment, settings even the apps and extensions are supported. It's actually Chrome with added security and privacy by Comodo. Who doesn't want that? =P

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Chrome receives updates faster than dragon and for that reason is more secure.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
For how many days faster?
But if you look at a real-world scenario, better privacy and security is more important than faster updates.
It's highly unlikely that your system will be attacked because of a late update.
If it's delayed by a few days, it would't matter.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
May I ask why faster updates are more secure besides the bug fixes, vulnerability patches, and added features?

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
I think dragon usually runs a few weeks behind chrome for updates. That's a few weeks extra that you are browsing the web using a browser with known security holes and exploits for those holes available in the wild. If that's not enough of a security boost for chrome over dragon then I don't know what is. Chrome is much more secure than dragon, dragon is based on chrome it gets better, faster support via updates etc, Don't forget flash is bundled with chrome and dragon and that's known for getting exploited so you want you in built flash updates asap. As for dragon having better privacy, all comodo have done is uncheck a few boxes in dragons settings. Something anyone can do to chrome on their own. I think you always best off with the main browser rather than the clone.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
ADDED: Better Pop Up Blocker Extension for Chrome (Comodo Dragon)
- The name alone explains itself, blocks pop-ups from every site you visit (even javascript, html elements). You can add exclusions in case the extension interferes with the website.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
ZeroDay said:
I think dragon usually runs a few weeks behind chrome for updates. That's a few weeks extra that you are browsing the web using a browser with known security holes and exploits for those holes available in the wild. If that's not enough of a security boost for chrome over dragon then I don't know what is. Chrome is much more secure than dragon, dragon is based on chrome it gets better, faster support via updates etc, Don't forget flash is bundled with chrome and dragon and that's known for getting exploited so you want you in built flash updates asap. As for dragon having better privacy, all comodo have done is uncheck a few boxes in dragons settings. Something anyone can do to chrome on their own. I think you always best off with the main browser rather than the clone.

Weeks? If that's the case, I go back to Chrome.
But I'll research to verify it's delay on updates.

True, Comodo does uncheck certain options to say that it has "better privacy". But it does have a built-in Comodo DNS server, meaning it blocks bad sites by its DNS.

I'll experiment with Dragon for a few days and see what I prefer most.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you want to use Chromium without the Google-stuff, you can download it from here:
http://www.chromium.org/

Rhetorical question, would you use a pure Antivirus without 72 hours of any sort of updates?

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
Earth said:
If you want to use Chromium without the Google-stuff, you can download it from here:
http://www.chromium.org/

Rhetorical question, would you use a pure Antivirus without 72 hours of any sort of updates?

Well, we are talking about a web browser, not an Antivirus, meaning updates are not as important (talking about added features, bug fixes, etc).
I'll try to verify how many days its updates are delayed. Thanks for the link, btw.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
Here's a good article on the added security features of Dragon. It's a 2011 article, but its informative enough.
Still trying to find an article about it's updates...
http://www.techishare.com/tech/comodo-dragon-vs-google-chrome-updated/

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hahaha, that's why it's a rhetorical question. A bit extreme, but to prove my point, if delay updates aren't an issue for you, then you won't mind no AV updates.

Just check the Comodo Forums and Chrome release dates, then make a comparison. :D

Edit: A lot of the old accusations regarding Chrome vs Dragon "Privacy" aren't relevant anymore.

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
Earth said:
Hahaha, that's why it's a rhetorical question. A bit extreme, but to prove my point, if delay updates aren't an issue for you, then you won't mind no AV updates.

Just check the Comodo Forums and Chrome release dates, then make a comparison. :D

Yeah, but I can't help answering it. =P

F

ForgottenSeer 8371

Thread author
Compared the release dates of Google Chrome and Comodo Dragon:

Chrome 28: July 12, 2013 | Chrome Releases
Dragon 28: July 16, 2013 | Comodo Forums

Just four days of delayed updates of the latest release (not sure of the previous ones), not too long (for a browser).

I'll experiment with Dragon and see how it turns out.

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Bro, what are the options you tweaked for both avast! and Comodo Firewall? And what are the exclusions? I'm trying this combo now. :)

P.S. Will high heuristics slows down your scan?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.