Yahoo Will Ignore IE 10's "Do Not Track"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Yahoo has made it official: it won't honor the Do Not Track request issued by Internet Explorer 10. Their justification? The DNT signal from IE10 doesn't express user intent" and "DNT can be easily abused.'"

[Source]

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
All I can say is, wow...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, as tracking is part of their business model.

And of course, if Yahoo is going to do it, I also wouldn't be surprised if others start doing it as well, making DNT useless. :mad:

It's interesting though that they're not taking into consideration, the fact that many of their users may want DNT to be on! And if they do, it can't be done by a simple browser preference.

They've basically thrown down the gauntlet and said, "If you don't want us to track you, you'll need to use our tools to do it..." :s :rolleyes:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
I'm sure other websites will do the same because they need to targeted ads in order to stay in business.

However you can still opt out of Yahoo advertising- http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html which will stop most tracking.

The opt out is recorded to your IP address and once you opt out it will apply to all browsers running from your IP address.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
I'm sure other websites will do the same because they need to targeted ads in order to stay in business.

However you can still opt out of Yahoo advertising- http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/opt_out/targeting/details.html which will stop most tracking.

The opt out is recorded to your IP address and once you opt out it will apply to all browsers running from your IP address.

It's actually cookie based. Opting out will place a persistent cookie on your machine. In order to opt out multiple machines, you need a Yahoo account. (or I guess set the cookie on each machine...)

Not the ideal solution, if you ask me. :s

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:

It's actually cookie based. Opting out will place a persistent cookie on your machine. In order to opt out multiple machines, you need a Yahoo account. (or I guess set the cookie on each machine...)

Not the ideal solution, if you ask me. :s

Are you sure that it is cookie-based and not tied to your IP address?

I deleted all Yahoo cookies from Firefox, Google Chrome, IE and Opera.

Then I went back to the page and I'm still opted out.

Then I did the same on two other systems connected to my same IP address that didn't have any Yahoo cookies and it said I was opted out.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Are you sure that it is cookie-based and not tied to your IP address?

No, I'm not at all sure... :p

I was just going by what it said on that page you linked.

It says you need to allow cookies from Yahoo in order to Opt-out. And to Opt-out on multiple machines, you need to be signed into your Yahoo account.

If you click "Learn More" in the window with the Opt-Out button, it mentions that the Opt-Out is persistent.

If it's persistent and requires cookies, I can only assume it needs a persistent Yahoo cookie.

It may be different if you have a Yahoo account. Similar to the IP-based functionality of OpenDNS and its content filtering. I don't have a Yahoo account, so I have no idea.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Click CCleaner/Options/Cookies: Cookies to Keep - place here this Yahoo cookie yahoo.com, that's all.. if you use CCleaner for the cleaning.:)

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
google actually does keep record through ip addresses,thats why the search results are so good.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Try the Ghostery add-on. Set it aggressive and then whitelist any sites you dont want the settings to apply to. There is also a way to adjust it so your strict settings won't interfere with popular media/movie players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.