Yandex browser discussion (Split Thread)

Will you use the Yandex browser after reading this article?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Why do programs these days install themselves in appdata? What are the advantages?
No problems with permissions/UAC, since LocalAppData allows software to do anything, unlike restricted ProgramFiles, which actually protects its content.

If you would put documents in ProgramFiles, ransomware should not be able to touch them.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I have the same question!Mr.Andy Ful:giggle: told me the App data is not a safe place for the browser!but why? Idk the reason

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Ful and shmu26

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I asked them to remove this Trovi more than 5 times:D but they will not...any way it doesn't matter! you can set your default search engine to chrome.
for Bing, we are not using Bing directly, there is another provider and their searching proxy is Trovi. Trovi.com is expected URL for Bing search engine in our browser at this point. No viral activity involved in such case though.

In case you still want to use Bing directly, please enter browser://settings/searchEngines and set the following parametres:

1. Search engine: BING
2. Keyword: bing.com
3. URL with %s in place of query:http://www.bing.com/search?q=%s
--
Best Regards, Alena Suvoroff

Reactions: AtlBo

d0ts

Level 1
Verified
Nov 9, 2017
hmm about Bing I just went to bing.com, searched for something. Then go to Setting and in Search section there already was Bing.
browser_2017-12-12_07-48-08.png

Reactions: AtlBo

It's great but its extension store borrowed from opera is so weak.

As long as there is LastPass, uBlock most people will be happy with it. It is the other password managers and adblockers and then stuff like Authy - if there is not support then people that use certain extensions will get rankled. You should know, look at us Windows Phone guys. We're not even eligible to be called Earth citizens... people without a planet LOL.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Yes, there are no extensions to this, and the extensions I use in Opera do not work on Yandex, and the translation into my language is rather poor, meaning Yandex is not for me.

Again...

1) Use the Chrome Web Store for extensions with Yandex.. Therefore, it supports Chrome extensions.
2) Download Yandex Beta, it's better than Yandex proper and the beta channel is stable. Beta has some amazing features (and speed) and frankly, makes Opera look bad IMO.

I'm still unsure why folks don't know most Chromium Forks have zero trouble running stuff from the Chrome Web Store proper.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Again...

1) Use the Chrome Web Store for extensions with Yandex.. Therefore, it supports Chrome extensions.
2) Download Yandex Beta, it's better than Yandex proper and the beta channel is stable. Beta has some amazing features (and speed) and frankly, makes Opera look bad IMO.

I'm still unsure why folks don't know most Chromium Forks have zero trouble running stuff from the Chrome Web Store proper.
Yandex may be a good browser, but as I said, the extensions I use do not work on Yandex, for example, FVD Speed Dial, but you can say: but Yandex has its own speed dial and so on. But since FVD does not exist, it's the best for me, I'm already used to it and I have all my favorites organized, another point is here on my system, Opera is still the fastest, besides its VPN, I use many tools that capture the page of the opera, among other things that I only find in Opera, in short, one should not touch the team that is winning.

D

Deleted member 178

but as I said, the extensions I use do not work on Yandex, for example, FVD Speed Dial,
Exactly my problem.

but you can say: but Yandex has its own speed dial and so on.
Which is a useless basic one.

But since FVD does not exist, it's the best for me, I'm already used to it and I have all my favorites organized,
so do i.

Conclusion: Yandex goes to trashbin until all Chrome extensions are compatible.

Will give a shot at opera, long time i didn't tested it.

Reactions: SHvFl and Faybert
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

No clue what FVD speed dial is and nor do I care. I just want a basic speed dial that looks good and functions nicely, Yandex fits that bill perfectly. But the primary reasons I like Yandex Beta are raw speed (in my benchmarks it always comes out on top), basic and good looking speed dial, self protection module and 100% compatibility with web pages (like Chrome).

Firefox and Opera ultimately always disappoint me. Either with some page incompatibilities or extension issues. For example Magic Action for Youtube is an extension I require and it rarely works properly on Opera and Firefox properly. Also I don't like Opera dialing home to strange locations, like Ukrainian National Bank..

D

Deleted member 178

Problem is that basic dials aren't categorizeable, extensions are, sadly none of them are usable on Yandex...i will wait until they make them works.

edit: our discussion should be there i believe: Q&A - Which will be your browser of 2018 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SHvFl
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.