Advice Request Which will be your browser of 2018 ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
may i ask you which will be your broswer of the 2018 ?

will you continue to use your trusty browser or will you change your browser ?

and may I know which browser do you use included chrome engine broswers and firefox engine browsers ?
i have always used firefox with 4 extension but with the new version i lost all of them, outside adguard blocker

i have switch to chrome maybe i will use Slimjet , but about chrome engine/firefox engine browswer i don't know really if i can trust of them

thanks
and happy new year

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I decided to try Yandex based off your post, I wanted to ask since I can't find it myself, is it possible to install a dark theme for Yandex?
maybe Chrome extension High Contrast: High Contrast

"Change or invert the color scheme to make webpages easier to read.
High Contrast lets you browse the web with your choice of several high-contrast color filters designed to make it easier to read text.
When you install this extension, all pages are "inverted", so black becomes white and white becomes black. Press the "browser action" icon in the toolbar to toggle it on and off, or customize your settings on a per-site basis. Use a convenient keyboard shortcut to quickly change your settings while you browse.
Other extensions try to change the default colors, but this ends up breaking many popular websites. Only this extension applies filters to your page that invert almost everything - the only exception is photos, which are left alone."

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
maybe Chrome extension High Contrast: High Contrast

"Change or invert the color scheme to make webpages easier to read.
High Contrast lets you browse the web with your choice of several high-contrast color filters designed to make it easier to read text.
When you install this extension, all pages are "inverted", so black becomes white and white becomes black. Press the "browser action" icon in the toolbar to toggle it on and off, or customize your settings on a per-site basis. Use a convenient keyboard shortcut to quickly change your settings while you browse.
Other extensions try to change the default colors, but this ends up breaking many popular websites. Only this extension applies filters to your page that invert almost everything - the only exception is photos, which are left alone."

Thanks for this, very helpful. You actually helped me in a huge way indirectly. The one downside I had against Yandex was Bitwarden wasn't available in their extensions store, but because of you linking this contrast app I discovered I could install Bitwarden through the Chrome store.

Huge thanks!

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks for this, very helpful. You actually helped me in a huge way indirectly. The one downside I had against Yandex was Bitwarden wasn't available in their extensions store, but because of you linking this contrast app I discovered I could install Bitwarden through the Chrome store.

Huge thanks!
Hugs, Chimaira! to your extensions too:)

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
My main browser will be SRWare Iron.
I've download and checked Firefox Quantum, Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi.
I've checked 2 things:
- the start up time of the browser
- How the browser respond (speed and stability) when i try to open 20 tabs.

In both cases SRWare Iron was faster with Chrome followed very close. Opera was 3rd. Firefox was ok but not so fast. Vivaldi crashed.

I believe Iron and Chrome are somehow the same according speed and stability (Iron is Chromium based browser), but i believe Iron is better when it comes to privacy:
Untitled 1.png

Untitled 2.png

Also SRWare Iron is available as 32 or 64bit portable which is perfect for my case....

NZRADAR

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
My Favorite is Yandex Browser and also Firefox Quantum, Edge does get to flex its muscles sometimes too as long it gets my choice of ad blocker on it
Though I do modify remove there Bing Search parameters that direct through trovi
If you have concerns about trovi either remove Bing search engine or modify the parameters
I have had good communication with there dev team and they can help with giving you the cleaned up parameters for Bing

I find Yandex Browser team to be very inovative and responsive to any concerns.

Last edited:

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I am changing it up.

Mozilla used to be the good guys, but they recently teamed up with a few people, one of those people being George Soros to fight so called 'fake news'. So I will be using some new browsers.

On my Android I will be using Qwant and Ecosia, since I will already be using AdGuard, I have no reason to use Brave.

On Windows I will mainly be using Waterfox, but I also plan to use Brave, Tor Browser, and yes, Firefox.

But Luke, you just talked about how Mozilla teamed up with George Soros to fight 'fake news'?!

Yes, let me explain. Waterfox is what I use for general browsing. Brave is what I use for research as I am unsure if Waterfox implements Mozilla's censorship, they do not specify. And finally, I use Firefox for watching shows. Since I will have Brave and Waterfox on lock down as far as settings and extensions go, I will need a browser just for doing things like watching Netflix. So I plan to use Firefox for just that. Here are the configurations I have (in order).

Waterfox: LessPass, LastPass, Bookmarks, Save Page, Downloads, Forget, Cookie AutoDelete, Avira Browser Safety, Privacy Badger, Decentraleyes, HTTPS Everywhere. (Note I am using Qwant and Ecosia for my search engines)

Brave: LastPass, PDF Viewer, Torrent Viewer. Show Brave Ads, Block Third-Party Cookies, HTTPS Everywhere, Block Phishing/Malware, Fingerprinting Protection. For Brave, I am only using Qwant to search.

Firefox: Bookmarks, Forget, View History, Qwant Basic, HTTPS Everywhere

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
My main browser will be SRWare Iron.
I've download and checked Firefox Quantum, Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi.
I've checked 2 things:
- the start up time of the browser
- How the browser respond (speed and stability) when i try to open 20 tabs.

In both cases SRWare Iron was faster with Chrome followed very close. Opera was 3rd. Firefox was ok but not so fast. Vivaldi crashed.

I believe Iron and Chrome are somehow the same according speed and stability (Iron is Chromium based browser), but i believe Iron is better when it comes to privacy:
View attachment 177696
View attachment 177697

Also SRWare Iron is available as 32 or 64bit portable which is perfect for my case....

Can you check whether SRWare Iron connects to Google on startup? The last time I checked it did so I ditched it

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Google Chrome v63 and Firefox Quantum v57 for syncing, wide choice of add-ons/extensions and compatibility.

Though IE was a favourite back in the days MS Edge while nice is still not a runner up against the other 2 established browsers

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Chrome most of the time, although getting tired of the freezes and hangs after a while... but occasionally dip into FF Quantum and a couple others depending on what I'm doing...
In my case, Firefox Quantum freezes from time to time, and I have to end the process in Task Manager. On the other hand, Chrome pretty much never crashes, even with tens of tabs open.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
FF Quantum 32 bit ( more stable than 64 bit on my system )
Cent as secondary.
Of course through the year i will try many browsers to see which one is performing better on my system.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
After two months of using Firefox (the most I've ever used it), I've switched back to 360 Extreme Explorer.

I had found Firefox 57 to be noticably faster than Chromium based browsers when paging up and down in heavy websites. However, I found that the Adgaurd extension was casuing the slowdowns and was able to make 360 al least as fast as Firefox, by removing it.

The new 360 Extreme Explorer 9.5 which was released last week is based on Chrome 63.0.3239.132, which was released, just two weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.