Firefox Portable
Vivaldi Standalone 64 Bits
Maintenance tools
Windows 10 Inbuilt
File and Photo backup
FreeFileSync
System recovery
Veeam Endpoint Backup
(Currently Backup on Another Partition Only)
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Thanks. Are you talking about those little problems like 'Network issues' etc. that OS detects and troublshoots? Or some critical ones? If that messes Rollback, that ain't good.
I was thinking to give it a try. Heard a lot.
Yes, the free version, no extra features
Sometimes Windows 10 detects issues & repairs at boot. I have experienced this & know/read about this. You too must have read/know about it. This may mess Rollback & so system not bootable.

Any query on Rollback, Imaging & Backup software, I request info from the expert on these software at Wilders i.e users "TheRollbackFrog" & "Peter2150".
I asked the above & other queries recently on Wilders in Rollback & Macrium threads. You can take a look there.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Sometimes Windows 10 detects issues & repairs at boot. I have experienced this & know/read about this. This may mess Rollback & so system not bootable.
I asked the above & other queries recently on Wilders in Rollback & Macrium threads. You can take a look there.
I am getting it now.
Coming week, I will experiment with the backup tools famous over here at MT. Thanks for the info!

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am getting it now.
Coming week, I will experiment with the backup tools famous over here at MT. Thanks for the info!
Macrium Incremental "Restore" is fast, I guess no imaging products do incremental restore as fast as Macrium, not even close to Macrium incremental restore time i.e I guess Macrium incremental restore beats all imaging products incremental restore with a big margin.
So if you can get Macrium Paid version then Macrium would be my first choice.

Todo Backup is good And I find it better than Aomei.

I tried & tested Macrium, Aomei & Todo And my choice would be -
1. Macrium
2. Todo
3. Aomei

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks. Are you talking about those little problems like 'Network issues' etc. that OS detects and troublshoots? Or some critical ones? If that messes Rollback, that ain't good.
I was thinking to give it a try. Heard a lot.
Yes, the free version, no extra features
Because of the unbootable issue (and also because backups are made to the same disk as the OS), Rollback RX should not be used as the only backup solution.

If the user has a second backup solution, such as Macrium Reflect, the unbootable issue is very easy to solve. You just restore with Macrium, and when you see the Rollback pre-OS screen, you hit the "home" key, and choose uninstall.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Because of the unbootable issue (and also because backups are made to the same disk as the OS), Rollback RX should not be used as the only backup solution.

If the user has a second backup solution, such as Macrium Reflect, the unbootable issue is very easy to solve. You just restore with Macrium, and when you see the Rollback pre-OS screen, you hit the "home" key, and choose uninstall.
As per TheRollbackFrog on Wilders, Win 10 repair processes at boot could sometimes really mess Rollback that imaging backup would not be useful i.e he mentioned something like boot path damaged or something like this. But he mentioned one could solve the issue but that would require knowledge & other tools.

The above is what I understood from TRF posts for my queries.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As per TheRollbackFrog on Wilders, Windows 10 repair processes at boot could sometimes really mess Rollback that imaging backup would not be useful i.e he mentioned something like boot path damaged or something like this. But he mentioned one could solve the issue but that would require knowledge & other tools.

The above is what I understood from TRF posts for my queries.
good you told me. I will have to ask TheRollbackFrog if the macrium reflect boot repair tool can fix this problem.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
good you told me. I will have to ask TheRollbackFrog if the macrium reflect boot repair tool can fix this problem.
This is TheRollbackFrog reply -

"Sometimes Windows has been known to BOOT into its Windows Repair media (which DOES NOT RUN under the protected Rollback Windows System... it usually runs under WinRE, A WinPE standalone mini-Windows System) and run certain repair processes. If this happens, your System, including Rollback, usually gets completely trashed. And if you think you can restore that System (in any form) with your recent imaging backup, you will find out that will not be possible either without a lot of general BOOT knowledge and some helpful tools that can reconstruct your System BOOT paths."

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This is TheRollbackFrog reply -

"Sometimes Windows has been known to BOOT into its Windows Repair media (which DOES NOT RUN under the protected Rollback Windows System... it usually runs under WinRE, A WinPE standalone mini-Windows System) and run certain repair processes. If this happens, your System, including Rollback, usually gets completely trashed. And if you think you can restore that System (in any form) with your recent imaging backup, you will find out that will not be possible either without a lot of general BOOT knowledge and some helpful tools that can reconstruct your System BOOT paths."
TheRollbackFrog says that macrium reflect boot repair works for him every time, although he has heard others say it didn't work for them.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Uninstalled Shadow Defender

I dont know the prob was due to Shadow Defender or not but here is what happened...

I installed Shadow Defender & restarted the system & disabled "start with windows".
I didn't used Shadow Defender at all.
I installed Todo Workstation.

On 3rd system start...I was browsing & got blue screen mentioning sys.io or system.io or something like this error.
I restarted the system & got boot config data missing or error.

I tried Todo USB recovery & entered Todo recovery But then decided to use Win 10 USB.
I tried Win 10 USB & selected "startup repair" & it solved the issue.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Back to FlashBack V2

Uninstalled Todo Workstation...no probs, I like FlashBack restore speed (good for trying software & reverting back to clean state)

If FlashBack becomes incompatible with any future builds of Win 10 then will install Todo Workstation.

My prefered imaging/backup product is Macrium Home.
Hope to win on-going Macrium Home giveaway here.

P.S - If any of my frds here win Macrium Home giveaway & would like to give me a late christmas/new year gift...dont hesitate & no need wrapping...just license will be fine;):)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Back to FlashBack V2

Uninstalled Todo Workstation...no probs, I like FlashBack restore speed (good for trying software & reverting back to clean state)

If FlashBack becomes incompatible with any future builds of Windows 10 then will install Todo Workstation.

My prefered imaging/backup product is Macrium Home.
Hope to win on-going Macrium Home giveaway here.

P.S - If any of my frds here win Macrium Home giveaway & would like to give me a late christmas/new year gift...dont hesitate & no need wrapping...just license will be fine;):)
how would you compare flashback to rollback rx?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
how would you compare flashback to rollback rx?
Rollback Rx is rollback software...no imaging/backup products can beat the backup/restore speed.
It has its quirks like uninstall to update Windows, boot slowdown, on reaching desktop system takes little time to settle down, etc.
Little risk with hard shutdown, unusual shutdown, etc messing it & system not bootable.

FlashBack is imaging software...backup/restore speed is good...incremental backup takes around 2-3 mins & hot restore takes around 5-10 mins.
No above mentioned probs like Rollback with FlashBack.

FlashBack has Pre-OS console & USB, etc recovery.
FlashBack has "Restore MBR" & other options in restore advanced settings.

FlashBack V2 last stable version was released in Jan 2016. It was the first version mentioned as fully compatible with Win 10.
Now the development seems stopped & product seems discontinued.

FlashBack V2 works fine on Win 10 64 Pro here.
Dont know how long will it be compatible with Win 10?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Just tested also, here's stats first recovery media making time.
=> https://i.imgsafe.org/6d07132e0f.png
Thats impressive time...your system seems loaded i.e good configuration & fast.

My system is fine enough & it took app 15 mins to create recovery ISO.

It does seems reliable & enterprise grade backup software.

Are you running VEB FREE?
Have you tried restore yet?
How fast & reliable is the restore?

Reactions: JM Safe and BugCode
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Free at the moment will see...
Not tested restore yet. Pretty solid time indeed.
I think it will remain free...

The paid counterparts are for heavy users like business, VM users, etc...

For majority & home users, free is good & solid...

Reactions: JM Safe and BugCode

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.