Battle Your Favorite Linux Distribution and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheSuperGeek

For me it's Archlinux : always lastest programs,
KISS Phylosophy
You install just that you need
You never had to reinstall your system
With aur (arch user repo) you can install apps if they aren't in officials repo.
BUT Archlinux is very difficult if you are a begginner : comand-line installation, need to modify setting when you update.

I recomand Fedora if you don't know command-line.
I don't like Ubuntu because : -the unity desktop
-coranical's philosophy and rules.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Puppy Linux for having a function to ran via RAM which booting up is really fast as without probpems both old or new computer specifications + saving snapshots and load the current settings + very simple to use where installation of programs are just one click except if need a commandline for some to install.

Another one is mainly for customization and likely alternative to Windows as possible then its Zorin OS. ;)

T

TheSuperGeek

Hello,
a good alternative to Windows is ReactOS (not linux and in dev but can run windows apps !).
But I know Handylinux is Windows 8 look-a-like and based on debian/ubuntu (with a big community) ideal for begginers.

S

Sr. Normal

I mainly use Voyager ( Xubuntu with Asteroids ) and Manjaro Xfce.
I have another partition OpenSuse 13.2 Gnome, but honestly , I do it the case it deserves.
Using mainly Voyager for almost everything, except to play then back to w7 .
I love its simplicity, power and sit in front of a system that seems to take a lifetime with it .

Reactions: LabZero

rienna

Level 2
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
The ones I've enjoyed are Deepin, Puppy, and Elementary.
I have tried others but so far those have been the ones not to bring my current laptop (or even my previous laptop which had a much slower Core 2 Duo, less ram (2GB), signifcantly worst graphics (GMA X3100) to a total crawl. Heck I'd probably be using them now if I didn't need a VPN and have other apps I require use of that only work on windows (don't work in Wine and there sadly aren't alternatives).

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Have used almost all and like Ubuntu with it's software center. Me and Linux don't get along that well. Only use it for video watching as it's performance is much better than Windows at video watching. On websites or otherwise. Also good for music I guess but none of the players on there interest me.

What is your favorite Linux distribution?
My is Elementary OS for great UI and best performance.

Never tried it. If it supports my hardware/wifi adapter, I will certainly be giving it a try. Really like the look of it.

T

TheSuperGeek

Never tried it. If it supports my hardware/wifi adapter, I will certainly be giving it a try. Really like the look of it.
If ubuntu is ok for your Hardware, elementary will be ok.
Elementary is based on ubuntu and use ubuntu soft-center (just the UI change).
If you need help, i can help you.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
If ubuntu is ok for your Hardware, elementary will be ok.
Elementary is based on ubuntu and use ubuntu soft-center (just the UI change).
If you need help, i can help you.

Good to know and thank you.

AMD graphic driver bug on Elementary OS and intel wifi card too.

I use a Nvidia card so should be fine. Also my adapter is a Panda Wireless brand. Got it because it is supposed to support all Linux based OS. I'm confident that I won't have any problem with Elementary. Already downloaded and will be getting it started up in about an hour.

FireShootSK

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
I use a Nvidia card so should be fine. Also my adapter is a Panda Wireless brand. Got it because it is supposed to support all Linux based OS. I'm confident that I won't have any problem with Elementary. Already downloaded and will be getting it started up in about an hour.

You can still use ubuntu drivers because is based on Lubuntu.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
After installing and updating Elementary OS, I have to say that this is easily the best Linux OS I've ever used. Smooth, fast, compatible with all my hardware. Think I like this OS better than Windows. The music player is actually something that I wanted in Linux for a while but could never find it. Easy to import your music from a second or external hard drive/SSD.

Best user interface I've ever seen, very low resource usage, and extremely user friendly even when compared to Ubuntu. A lot of distros of Ubuntu have no "install beside Windows 7" feature. Elementary does. Normally had to manually set up partitions. No problems for me, but not the same deal for non-experienced users. 10/10 for Elementary OS.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Right now I'm using Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet. So far I'm really liking it I find it a lot more stable than MS Windows 10 which I was using before Ubuntu. With Windows I was always rebooting because something stopped working there was always something.

Reactions: Amiga500
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.