Battle Your Favorite Linux Distribution and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Puppy Linux (Lucid). Not much of a Linux user, but I use it to repair unbootable Windows systems.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
After installing and updating Elementary OS, I have to say that this is easily the best Linux OS I've ever used. Smooth, fast, compatible with all my hardware. Think I like this OS better than Windows. The music player is actually something that I wanted in Linux for a while but could never find it. Easy to import your music from a second or external hard drive/SSD.

Best user interface I've ever seen, very low resource usage, and extremely user friendly even when compared to Ubuntu. A lot of distros of Ubuntu have no "install beside Windows 7" feature. Elementary does. Normally had to manually set up partitions. No problems for me, but not the same deal for non-experienced users. 10/10 for Elementary OS.

Couldn't agree more,
I have several linux in my VM but only dual boot win 7 with elementary OS in my older laptop. small, low resource, GUI oriented, and beautiful. But elementary OS doesn't come with office suite so I have to install it.

other Linux OS that has out-of-the-box capabilities are Linux Mint, Korora (forked fedora), Solydx, LXLE, linux lite.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

Emers

May 12, 2015
Never used Linux on PC but if do one day , im going install Linux Mint because according info from search engines Mint interface is more Windows like then Ubuntu one and have better perfomance, and also on DistroWatch Mint is more popular then Ubuntu

Last edited:

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Don't put too much stock into DistroWatch, as it basically counts downloads (or did at least) and not real world usage. Mint is an overall good one, as it's basically Ubuntu without a lot of the "Ubuntuness" (is that even a word? lol). I used to love OpenSUSE, but their releases bounce between really good and really bad too much in my opinion. If you do decide to go to Linux, you should be fine. Gaming is still somewhat iffy, but I think it always will be. Hardware isn't near the issue it used to be, most anything will run it now.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The true where Mint can be a starter OS for newly users however popularity doesn't measure, make your own move which flavors you want. Actually those unrecognizable derivatives are more interesting to use, but if you want daily and active development then its not a problem to go for Ubuntu, OpenSUSE and others.

Reactions: Oxygen

NatsuruHaveALife :D

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2015
For me it varies on what i am doing. Bleeding edge, Fedora. Fedora is actually all around one of my favorites. Ubuntu For usability, Or mint for same reason. Slackware Is my all time though. If you include non linux systems, My favorite alt OS to windows is PCBSD or IllumOS. For enterprise Class though, Amazon used what appeared to be Red hat or A derivative, and i stand behind my old Jobs linux distro. It was actually not linux for the Internet Cafe type stations in break areas. It looked like a configured OpenBSD. or UNIX system. Was solid. CentOS, Oracle Linux, And Red Hat are all good. SUSE is good too. But if i had to pick one to use all the time, it would be Mint with cinnamon, Or anything rolling release with cinnamon.

Reactions: FireShootSK

Emers

May 12, 2015
As for Linux desktop environments i would go for XFCE or Cinammon, because Cinammon interface is Windows 7 like (according videos and screenshots) and Cinammon and XFCE is Ram friendly

Desktop Environment | Memory Used |
| ---------------------|------------:|
| Enlightenment 0.18.8 | 83.8 MiB |
| LXDE 0.5.5 | 87.0 MiB |
| XFCE 4.10.2 | 110.0 MiB |
| LXQt 0.7.0 | 113.0 MiB |
| MATE 1.8.1 | 123.0 MiB |
| Cinnamon 2.2.13 | 176.3 MiB |
| GNOME3 3.12.2 | 245.3 MiB |
| KDE 4.13.1 | 302.6 MiB |
| Unity 7.2.0.14 | 312.5 MiB

Last edited:
I

illumination

• I cannot stand ubuntu because it has integrated adware in it.
  • The user interface looks terrible.:eek:
You are generalizing Unity with all of Ubuntu DE's.. The last i knew, Amazon that is included in Unity can be removed quite easily. As far as the UI, it did not bother me, but i will say i preferred Mate any day over Unity.

Reactions: Oxygen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.