Your McAfee Has Expired pop-up every minute

Infected operating system
macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
Infected device issues
Last Wednesday night I started getting pop-ups saying Your McAfee Has Expired. Every minute it's popping up! I don't use McAfee on my laptop. I've tried everything and cannot find this on my system at all. I've cleared notifications from both Safari and Chrome. Walked through resetting my laptop to original system settings. Nothing is working.

TracyJ68

Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Pop-ups saying Your McAfee Has Expired and Turn on Your Antivirus are popping up literally every minute. No idea where this came from. I've gone to several different websites for solutions to no avail.

Reactions: karl23

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Pop-ups saying Your McAfee Has Expired and Turn on Your Antivirus are popping up literally every minute. No idea where this came from. I've gone to several different websites for solutions to no avail.
Hello @TracyJ68

You're most likely seeing spam push notifications.
To remove permission for a malicious website to send notifications in Safari on macOS, follow these steps:

1. Open Safari on your Mac.
  2. Click on the Safari menu in the top-left corner of the screen.
  3. Select "Preferences" from the dropdown menu.
  4. Click on the "Websites" tab at the top of the Preferences window.
  5. In the left sidebar, click on "Notifications."
  6. Select each website from the list and click on "Remove" to revoke its permission to send notifications.
  7. Next, uncheck "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications".

Deny-Notifications-Safari.png
Let me know if you still see those pop-ups.

Next for Chrome do this:

1. In your Chrome browser bar, copy/paste (or type) this: chrome://settings/content/notifications
2. Here, you will see all the websites that are allowed to send notifications and the ones that sought your permission to send notifications, but you didn’t allow them. To stop an allowed website from notifying you any further, click the three dots next to its name and choose Block. Alternatively, you can also click the name and choose Block in the Notifications drop-down menu.
Besides that, you can select Don’t allow sites to send notifications under the Default behavior heading, which will restrict notifications from all sites.

Let me know if this helped you!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.