Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello guys,
2012 is almost at its end , and I was wondering which security products have you used for your Real-Time protection in 2012 ,and most importantly WHY?

I have used for the last part of 2012 , a free 90 days trial for Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and I was very pleased with the results :

Pros:
- Very good signatures,heuristic engine and web guard.
- One of the most easy to use and effective HIPS products (Application Control)
- On default settings is very user-friendly
- Awesome banking application and parental control

Cons:
- Multi-tasking can slow down less powerful computers
- Paid security product - $59.95

So what security product have you used in 2012 and why?

P

Plexx

Hooping back and forth, it has to be ESET and Comodo for my gaming needs.

Pros of ESET and Comodo (5.10)
Light.
Enough protection
Decent signatures
Default settings are fine as they are

Cons:
ESET is a paid solution
Initial data base of CAV is around 100MB.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
AppGuard for:
- lightness
- extreme high security level
- good pricing
- excellent support

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
For me the answer is easy, Sandboxie:cool:.

1) Peace of mind.
2) Allows me to use one product only for security. I don't recommend this to everyone.
3) No need to be updating 4 or 5 products constantly. This keeps my stress level low as I don't worry about updates or upgrades that can go wrong.
4) Lifetime license really works.
5) Sandboxie does what its supposed to do.
6) No infections since I started using SBIE four years ago.
7) Easy to learn. You can learn it as you go.
8) It doesn't break your computer as most security products do sometimes.
9) No cons.
10)Less wear and tear to the PC. I use to hear noises coming out of the computer when I used antiviruses, those noises are gone now.

Thats enough......for now.:)

Bo

I

illumination

For me, it is Comodo.
I hopped back and forth from it and Emsisoft Internet Security,before finally settling on Comodo. I like both products, but Comodo is easier/lighter on my system.

Pros:
It is light and Responsive
Tweaked provides excellent protection
It plays well with all my other programs
It is FREE.

Cons:
At this time i can find none.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
This year the product that has impressed the most has to be exe radar pro.
apart from being an excellent anti-executable with the usual blacklisting and white-listing features it has a feature to protect specific processes with password and an excellent even monitor as well.
It has a lifetime license at a reasonable price.
the developer is excellent and tries his best to replicate bugs if found and improve the product. I cannot stress the importance of good support to back any product!

cons : none so far

jolan57

Aug 19, 2012
My vote is comodo
Pros:
good signatures,heuristic engine ,cloud and very good proactive protection (All the things you need to protect your computer)
It is light and Responsive
It is free
and ...

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Mine is CIS 2012.

Pro
- It's light; uses low resources and works effective even if all the cpu power is used for an other application
- Very configurable
- Excellent protection; Good dectetion, Heuristic engine that is very effective, good firewall and effective sandbox
- Feature-rich application for being for free
- Silent once everything is sett and done

Cons
- Forgets the customized settings.
- The settings has to be customized once again once the profile is changes (for instance if Configuration is changed from Internet Security to Proactive/Firewall) and d+ or firewall alters might come up which may cause problems.
- FP comes from time to time which can scare someone who isn't familiar with the application
- Scanning time can take some time

I am very satisfied with CIS and I might even buy the pro version to support this excellent and innovating product.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
bo.elam said:
For me the answer is easy, Sandboxie:cool:.

1) Peace of mind.
2) Allows me to use one product only for security. I don't recommend this to everyone.
3) No need to be updating 4 or 5 products constantly. This keeps my stress level low as I don't worry about updates or upgrades that can go wrong.
4) Lifetime license really works.
5) Sandboxie does what its supposed to do.
6) No infections since I started using SBIE four years ago.
7) Easy to learn. You can learn it as you go.
8) It doesn't break your computer as most security products do sometimes.
9) No cons.
10)Less wear and tear to the PC. I use to hear noises coming out of the computer when I used antiviruses, those noises are gone now.

Thats enough......for now.:)

Bo

I have to echo what Bo said, most important is piece of mind!
I'll always use sandboxie :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Currently been using Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012 and 2013.

Pro:
  1. It has a very strong web guard.
  2. Don't feel an impact on the system.
  3. No popups what so ever.

Cons:
  1. It's AV engine is not the best at detecting malware.
  2. Not everybody uses it and thinks that it uses to much RAM.

sweetito

Dec 22, 2012
Hi all;
maybe every one has his preferred antivirus software,but we have nowadays about 45 antivirus company in the world so you should choose only one! but one of the first five degree certainly!,i like AVIRA...
- good antivirus(no one perfect)
- many promotions by year

D

Deleted member 178

For me it will be Emsisoft IS (tweaked as my guide)

Pros

- Strong detection: they use Bit defender engine in addition on their own, they could keep Ikarus but they want satisfy their customers with an
engine with less FPs.

- Strong proactivity : a full Behavior Blocker & HIPS

- Very good support team: reply very fast to any issues/FPs.

- Many useful protective features: Cloud, double web protection, banking mode, host protection & tweaker, policy-sandbox, etc...

- Graphic firewall monitor with "resolve adresses" feature

- Light on idled system except during boot/updates/scans

Cons:

- Boot time increase

- Possible high CPU/RAM spikes during updates & scans on some systems.

- FPs with default Surf Protection, rules must be created when sites flagged.

i am a paranoid user and EIS satisfies me totally, it even replaced my old wife CIS (especially the new version) in my heart.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
First of all Thanks Jack for this Thread.

My Product for 2012 is

TrustPort Internet Security 2013

Pros

1... Excellent Protection
2....Very Light
3....Install & Forget
4....Good Firewall & Web Protection
5....Good detection rate by two engines.

Cons

1....Large Installer around 250 mb

Thanks

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I chose Kaspersky. Although it is not the lightest av on the market (I don't feel any slowdowns), its protection is excellent as well as support. I also love the ability to change options/settings to suite my needs.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Windows Defender (Windows 8 Built-in Version)

5qpcD.png

PROS
  • Non-intrusive or annoying in anyway.
  • Fast to scan. (Quick Scan : 25 seconds) (Full Scan: 3 minutes 15 seconds)
  • An actual working exclusions option.
  • No noticeable performance loss.
  • Has actively protected me fine since I've used it. (No infections while using it)
  • Simple and easy to use UI.
  • Never gave me any false positives.
  • Works out of the box, Default settings are fine for me.
  • Doesn't slow down my boot up process unlike other products I've tried.

CONS

• No Scheduler.
  • Signatures only. No cloud. No HIPS. ( But for me personally this isn't exactly a CON, If I wanted cloud or HIPS, I wouldn't be using Windows Defender. :rolleyes: )

Windows Defender (Basically Microsoft Security Essentials with a different name) has done me well and until it allows a rootkit or ransomware to infect me I will continue using it.

Having the baseline of an antivirus layer is all I personally need being the extremely advanced user that I am, No need for a Umbra Total Security setup. Thanks. /s

Jokes aside, If Windows Defender did allow a rootkit or ransomware onto my system I would instantly boot up my SARDU disc and start scanning away with Dr.Web Live CD, Kaspersky Rescue Disk and then once booted back into the system, Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro scan. If the worse case scenario hits (such as un-repairable or damaged OS, I have a ton of image backups and all my important data backed up to a 1TB EXHDD, And / or re-installing Windows 8 is no problem for me.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Windows Defender (Windows 8 Built-in Version)

5qpcD.png

PROS
  • Non-intrusive or annoying in anyway.
  • Fast to scan. (Quick Scan: 25 seconds) (Full Scan: 3 minutes 15 seconds)
  • An actual working exclusions option.
  • No noticeable performance loss.
  • Has actively protected me fine since I've used it. (No infections while using it [2 years usage])
  • Simple and easy to use UI.
  • Has yet to give me any false positives.
  • Works out of the box, Default settings are fine for me.
  • Doesn't slow down my boot up process unlike other products I've tried.

CONS

• No extensive and customizable scheduler options.
  • Signatures only. No cloud. No HIPS. ( But for me personally this isn't exactly a CON, If I wanted cloud or HIPS, I wouldn't be using Windows Defender. :rolleyes: )

Windows Defender (Basically Microsoft Security Essentials with a different name) has done me well and until it allows a rootkit or ransomware to infect me I will continue using it.

Having the baseline of an antivirus layer is all I personally need.

Jokes aside, If Windows Defender did allow a rootkit or ransomware onto my system I would instantly boot up my SARDU disc and start scanning away with Dr.Web Live CD, Kaspersky Rescue Disk and then once booted back into the system, Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro scan. If the worse case scenario hits (such as un-repairable or damaged OS, I have a ton of image backups and all my important data backed up to a 1TB EXHDD, And / or re-installing Windows 8 is no problem for me.

R

rocky

I chose DefenseWall because it seems safer with small kids, it doesn't take long for them to figure to just hit the Allow button. Before that incident CIS 5.10 was working well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.