Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello guys,
2012 is almost at its end , and I was wondering which security products have you used for your Real-Time protection in 2012 ,and most importantly WHY?

I have used for the last part of 2012 , a free 90 days trial for Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and I was very pleased with the results :

Pros:
- Very good signatures,heuristic engine and web guard.
- One of the most easy to use and effective HIPS products (Application Control)
- On default settings is very user-friendly
- Awesome banking application and parental control

Cons:
- Multi-tasking can slow down less powerful computers
- Paid security product - $59.95

So what security product have you used in 2012 and why?

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Hello Jack Sir, COMODO is simply the best security product of 2012 because its free, low on resources and no lag in system, fast updates as my 100 mb update finished in just 4mins, my net speed being 128kbps i.e 1mbps, It has a in-built program version updater so no need to uninstall and reinstall the latest antivirus versions, and has all the features of a basic complete suite u might want for Ur Computer's Security.
Also its support forums are world class and always support their paid and free customers the same without any differentiation.
And Yes Its mainly for the Geeks ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This was a tough choice because I use a few of them.After MalwareDoctor's test/review of Comodo,I installed it on Windows 8.I havent used Comodo in a very long time but I have to say after trying CIS 6 that I have to go with Comodo.I think Bitdefender is very good and I also like Eset.I still use Kaspersky also.For a free security product Comodo is just packed with useful features it is pretty light and has a great detection rate.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
MrXidus said:
CONS
No Scheduler.

this is not entirely true,although the Windows defender interface does not have any scheduler,it is automatically scheduled to quick scan your PC at 01:00 hrs.

you can schedule further scans via the task scheduler.

so you can put the cons as no scheduler in the interface :p

SamChan

Level 2
Jun 20, 2011
My security product for 2012 is Avira Internet Security.

Pros :
- It's light and responsivel for my laptop.
- It has a very strong web guard.

Cons :
- None so far. I'm very pleased with it.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
McLovin said:
Currently been using Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012 and 2013.

Pro:
  1. It has a very strong web guard.
  2. Don't feel an impact on the system.
  3. No popups what so ever.

Cons:
  1. It's AV engine is not the best at detecting malware.
  2. Not everybody uses it and thinks that it uses to much RAM.

Under cons I think you forgot to mention the cost.
Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security is pretty expensive.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
raxa707 said:
Hahaha but seriously man i didnt find any cons in cis except they dont have any parental controls........:(

In that case you can get separate programs that can have parental controls.

P

Plexx

Solarlynx said:
I prefer COMODO because it's highly configurable, light and reliable though rather not user friendly.

One thing about CIS, which only a few vendors have in common:
Works just fine out of the box with default settings. AVG, avast!, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Panda, BD share the same Pros.

What is not user friendly is the possibility of Tweaks. But if we are to go that way, Kaspersky doesn't fall behind in terms of not user friendly in such area.

:)

Askanag

Level 1
Verified
Dec 9, 2012
Hi!
This year, just like the last three years I have used Kaspersky Internet Security. I use KIS since version 2009 and are constantly updated to new versions.
Already used by habit, some things are not satisfied, but still do not dare to change.
Best regards!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It is very hard to just select one product, since most of the time you need a layer of several products to give you good security products.

My vote goes to Avast Free since it offers more user friendly features compared to other free security products. For those who listed no cons, that is impossible, all products have at least one con. There is not such a thing as a perfect product.

Pros:
1. User friendly GUI, easy to configure.
2. Never has to be re-configured.
3. Extremely light on system response time.
4. Offers excellent protection with its auto sandbox and behavior blocker.
5. Excellent web protection, blocks almost all malicious urls.
6. Easy to add exclusions for false positives.
7. Moves infected file to virus chest instead of deleting them like some other products, best option in case of false positives. You can easily recover false positives and add them to the exclusions.
8. Compatible with most other software, never blocks legitimate programs.

Cons:
1. Just like all antivirus products, doesn't detect all malware.
2. Default configuration needs to be tweaked to provide the best protection.
3. WebRep is still new and doesn't have ratings for many websites.

Enjoy!!:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
There is one bad Con that you forgetting, Littlebits. In the last three years, Avast has released at least three terrible updates that have rendered users computers useless. I think that's terrible. I know all antiviruses mess up like that sometimes but Avast is doing it too often.

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bo.elam said:
There is one bad Con that you forgetting, Littlebits. In the last three years, Avast has released at least three terrible updates that have rendered users computers useless. I think that's terrible. I know all antiviruses mess up like that sometimes but Avast is doing it too often.

Bo

I only remember one bad update that actually caused problems with launching programs but it didn't damage the user systems. Once an update was applied all problems were solved, files were easily restored from virus chest. The other two bad updates affected the network shield and blocked out many safe websites but once again did not cause any damage to users systems. Avast responded to the issues very quickly and solved the problems. Because I don't consider that to be a con.

If you think about other Av's like Norton, McAfee, BitDefender (other products that use BitDefender's engine), Avira, etc which had bad updates which permanently deleted important system files and required Windows to have to be re-installed, Avast mistake is not that bad.

All Av's have bad updates from time to time, so you could apply that to all of them. The top dog for bad updates would have to go to McAfee.

All of my local government agencies and banks use McAfee, one of their bad updates shut down my city for 3 days. I could get any money out of my bank account, my credit card was frozen, most of the businesses were closed including city hall, most of the local stores, etc. That wasn't the first time either there was many other bad updates which caused problems. Since then many of my local business switched to FortiClient.

Thanks.:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Littlebits said:
I only remember one bad update that actually caused problems

Its really three times that it has happened- We are getting old, I know I am, check your memory with Google search.;);)

I remember well. Avast detecting hundreds of files and once Quarantine/Virus chest was full, files got deleted. This scenario happened at least twice. It got fixed quickly when a new virus definition was released but more than a few people lost their computer.

I recognize Avast as one of the best in what they do but to avoid this sort of thing is why I prefer to install MSE in friends and family computers instead of Avast.

Bo

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
CIS: (By Umbra)

- Antivirus
- Firewall
- Cloud
- Behavior Blocker
- HIPS
- full virtualized Sandbox
- Banking mode (aka Kiosk)
- Process/autorun monitor (aka Killswitch/Autorun)
- On-demand cloud scanner for infected system (Aka CCE)

Cons:

WebProtection (Not Available)(Con for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.