Battle Your Top-rated security softwares for 2017?

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Hello everyone,

So long time I did not make a new thread here, I'm back! And my question today is your choose about top-rated security solutions with their latest 2017 version. I think many people have the same question like me. I saw that security companies now focus on Ransomware protection. Please choose your security software you like and tell the reason.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
My choice : Emsisoft Internet Security becuase it is light on system recources , easy and understandable user interface , great out of the box protection excellent pup dection and superb behaviour blocker! customer support is top notch and they have awsome renewal rebate program ( eat your heart out symantec!! :D )

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
I choose ESET, because ESET is scored not so good in AV testing lab regarding its protection, system impact etc. but from my own experience ESET has good protection and low system impact, very low, I also keep an eye to Malware Hub in this forum, days to days how ESET performs against those smoking hot new malware samples, you can view it days to days which AV that perform so well, and also from testing video on Video Reviews in this forum, there are some 2017 version AVs tested

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
If not from the list, which is your choose?
I love freeware! And since i started hanging around here i´ve learned the value of "layered" protection. So my choice would reflect my setup which are:
- Comodo FW (Custom settings)
- Avast free (Hardened mode" aggressive)
- Voodooshield PRO (License won here at MT)
- A bunch of on-demand scanners
- Backups! ;)

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I love freeware! And since i started hanging around here i´ve learned the value of "layered" protection. So my choice would reflect my setup which are:
- Comodo FW (Custom settings)
- Avast free (Hardened mode" aggressive)
- Voodooshield PRO (License won here at MT)
- A bunch of on-demand scanners
- Backups! ;)
Is Voodooshield needed When you're using Comodo FW?

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
I'm curious to know why wouldn't VS be needed. Is CFW an anti-exe as well as a firewall?
As i understand it, if you set autosandbox to "default deny" you basically makes CF into a "Anti Everything" that´s new incl .exe. I might be mistaken but if i´m right this should fill the same function as Voodoo shield.

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
you can't go wrong with any one of them , what's left for you to decide is which one of them works best on your specific system . from the above list my choice would be
1-Emsisoft IS : it's a straight forward security without any useless bloatware , has a good firewall and great Behavioral Blocker + from what I hear about the company , they are really dedicated to fight ransomware
2-Bitdefender IS : I've always been fortunate to have bitdefender work flawlessly on my system , and if that's your case, you'll find bitdefender REALLY light . it's set and forget , you won't notice it's presence . but again many has complained of it being buggy .
-Kaspersky IS : I've always found it heavy even the latest versions .
-ESET : eset will always has a spot in my heart, it was my favorite security suite since before it was called ESET , and I remember I was really excited when they announced the "threat-sense engine" .. anyway , eset was always light, though some complained about it was a bit heavier with version 10 .. dunno about now , yet ESET is a solid player, but I prefer other solutions now.

now my real choice , I mean if it was me who was gonna put money on a security solution I'd choose Norton Security .

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
*Other
VoodooShield and HMPA combo, both of which are not on the list :(
I am also testing DeepArmor so it's here too.
The signatueless field is slowly getting some awesome software to
secure systems with. ;)
I noticed everything you have listed there is either a sig based AV
or suite.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
It can be made to be by setting the Sandbox the block unknown software yes, but even running the Sandbox at untrusted is enough. VS is great, but in my opinion it's not needed with a tweaked Comodo firewall.
VS builds up a whitelist of trusted processes based on running and installed software, then you block or allow new processes as you go in Smart mode or on Autopilot VS decides for you. This method reduces the number false positive's. VS also monitors the use of vulnerable Windows processes like regedit and powershell and prevents them being used for malicious purposes but allows them when used legimately.
How does CFW decide what processes are trusted and which are not? Does it simply block everything unknown?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
VS builds up a whitelist of trusted processes based on running and installed software, then you block or allow new processes as you go in Smart mode or on Autopilot VS decides for you. This method reduces the number false positive's. VS also monitors the use of vulnerable Windows processes like regedit and powershell and prevents them being used for malicious purposes but allows them when used legimately.
How does CFW decide what processes are trusted and which are not? Does it simply block everything unknown?
I think the best think you can do is do a lot of reading up on what Comodo FW, Defense plus and auto sandbox already protect and what they can be configured to protect. I'm not here saying A is Better than B, I'm saying you only need one or the other. But if you're unfamiliar with Comodo firewall as you seem to be I'd just do some reading up on the settings. If, however you are familiar with CF settings and protection then there's no need for me to type a small essay.

I personally don't see the need for both pieces of software on one machine no matter how lite they are you're getting no more protection by using both.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.