Question YouTube still showing ads with uBlock Origin enabled? Here is a fix!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I use Brave browser with its own ad-blockers option and so far no adblock detect popup from Youtube.

Afaik, purge all caches then update ublock quick fixes list is a temporarily solution because Youtube change and update its adblock detector scripts every few hours.

Interesting videos to watch and listen.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

YouTube hasn't dared show me ads... "My ad blocker has a very particular set of skills, skills it has acquired over a very long process. Skills that make it a nightmare for advertisers." 😎🤣

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
[...] I tried a test and turned off Ublock a few days ago, saw a lot of ads just when trying to watch a simple music video on the regular Youtube
What you see if the default number of Ads and Sponsored videos on Youtube.com, you are just not used to it as you've always used an Ad-blocker. Using the YouTube Mobile app will have Sponsored videos and Ads before, during and after videos, that is normal. The only changes are the (in)ability to skip some Ads, Ad lengths, and more recently trials for Premium every other time you open YouTube app or the YouTube Music app.

I haven't noticed any Anti-Adblocker notices on Brave browser.

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
YouTube is broadening its efforts to crack down on ad blockers. The platform has “launched a global effort” to encourage users to allow ads or try YouTube Premium, YouTube communications manager Christopher Lawton says in a statement provided to The Verge.

If you run into YouTube’s block, you may see a notice that says “video playback is blocked unless YouTube is allowlisted or the ad blocker is disabled.” It also includes a prompt to allow ads or try YouTube Premium. You may get prompts about YouTube’s stance on ad blockers but still be able to watch a video, though, for one Verge staffer, YouTube now fully blocks them nearly every time.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
This link will take you to a page made by uBlock Origins developer that will let you know if you need to update their filters.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
This link will take you to a page made by uBlock Origins developer that will let you know if you need to update their filters.
Technically it doesn't detect if your filters are updated or not. It only checks whether latest uBO filters work against the latest YT anti-adblock script or not.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Technically it doesn't detect if your filters are updated or not. It only checks whether latest uBO filters work against the latest YT anti-adblock script or not.
I used the link with the AdGuard extension and received a "yes" response.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I used the link with the AdGuard extension and received a "yes" response.
I doesn't check ur extensions or filters. If it shows "YES" then what it means is that if you install uBO with latest filters, then YT should work without any issues.
1698857935434.png

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Thank God I use Youtube Revanced (Extended) on my Android device. I rarely watch Youtube on my desktop.
Is it safe? I installed it, but in Google Account setting it doesn't show that it's not tied to my Google account. Why?
Under this part of my google account where I use it for WhatsApp backup its written:
"Your connections to third-party apps & services:
Keep track of your connections to third-party apps and services"

But why for Youtube Revanced (Extended), doesnt write that?

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Is it safe? I installed it, but in Google Account setting it doesn't show that it's not tied to my Google account. Why?
Under this part of my google account where I use it for WhatsApp backup its written:
"Your connections to third-party apps & services:
Keep track of your connections to third-party apps and services"

But why for Youtube Revanced (Extended), doesnt write that?
Yes, it's perfectly safe. To use the comments feature, you need to install microG, which is also available on the website. This will allow you to connect with your Google account and post comments on Youtube videos. (which is optional)

Reactions: amirr

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Yes, it's perfectly safe. To use the comments feature, you need to install microG, which is also available on the website. This will allow you to connect with your Google account and post comments on Youtube videos. (which is optional)
I dont need to comment on videos, so I can uninstall microG and just use Youtube Revanced (Extended)?

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Google doubles the price of the premium subscription!!

View attachment 279543
Exactly all this fighting over ad blocking is just hurting those that actually pay for an account. I do not like ads as much as the next person. The ad blockers caused Google to also make the product not minimizable on the free version which made doing anything else on mobile a pain, as it would cut off the music or video, and if left open was hard on the screens for long duration. So even though i use ad blocker on my chromebook browser, i pay the premium fee every month as i use the video and music services both.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
As YouTube tightens its restrictions on ad blockers, privacy advocates in the European Union are betting that government regulations can put a stop to the crackdown.
One privacy expert, Alexander Hanff, filed a complaint in October with the Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC). Hanff argues that YouTube’s ad blocker detection system is a violation of privacy — a charge Google denies — and illegal under EU law. “AdBlock detection scripts are spyware — there is no other way to describe them and as such it is not acceptable to deploy them without consent,” Hanff tells The Verge. “I consider any deployment of technology which can be used to spy on my devices is both unethical and illegal in most situations.”

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.