Question YouTube still showing ads with uBlock Origin enabled? Here is a fix!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Every YouTube links opens in the YouTube app itself and not in the Revanced (Extended). Also, when I uninstall MicroG, Revanced (Extended) says to install MicroG in order to work.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I dont need to comment on videos, so I can uninstall microG and just use Youtube Revanced (Extended)?
Oh am sorry, am wrong. You need microG for Youtube revanced to work, but you don't need to login to your Google account through microG. But this also means that you cannot view personalized videos on your homepage (it will be blank), and you will only be able to view general trending/sports/gaming/podcasts videos that you can bring up from the left side bar. It makes the app more like NewPipe alternative instead of Youtube.

I usually want to see the videos that's personalized based on my behavior and interests, because only those are useful for me, so I login with my Google account through microG and use Youtube Revanced.

Reactions: amirr

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Windows Phone’s launch was met with a wave of enthusiasm, with The Verge calling it “in many ways ahead of its time” in its obituary. However, that initial enthusiasm soon faded as Microsoft struggled to fix compatibility issues and attract third-party app makers. Six years after its farewell, the much-maligned Windows Phone OS has come back to bite Google, and more specifically, its video platform YouTube.

An X (ex-Twitter) user @endermanch discovered that Windows Phone can help you watch YouTube videos with an ad blocker and avoid those irritating pop-ups that ask you to turn off your ad blocker or pay for YouTube Premium. How? By changing your user-agent string, which is a piece of information that tells websites (YouTube in this case) what kind of device and browser you are using. If you make YouTube think you are using a Windows Phone, it will not bother you with ads or pop-ups, the user revealed.

The trick may not work for long, as YouTube may update the system to detect it. But it’s the sweetest revenge possible.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Desktop apps are harder to detect because their filtering methods are superior to the extension's functionality. Also, if you use the Chrome browser, YouTube could theoretically know which extensions are installed on your browser since both Chrome and YouTube are owned by Google. The standalone desktop apps don't have this problem.

The main problem ad blockers face is how quickly YouTube changes its ad-blocking detection mechanisms. Filter and extension updates often can't keep up with this in real time. And even when filter maintainers make timely changes to their filters, it can take a day or two for those updates to reach users.

We at AdGuard are going to speed up this process with a new feature — differential filter update. Once we add this feature to our extensions, filters will be updated as quickly as possible. Keep an eye on our news!

We would like to thank the contributors and all users who wrote to us about this problem. Thanks to your feedback and suggestions, we managed to respond effectively to these changes.

As a reminder, you can help us create filtering rules here on GitHub. If you encounter any problems, please let us know using our web reporting tool.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I wonder, if Youtube gets tired of fighting this, and being considered criminal for using ad blocker detecting software, if they will at some point just give up on ads as a source of revenue to sustain youtube and servers and just lock it down to a paid per view service permanently. :unsure: I mean if everyone pushes it until something gives, they should be careful what ask for.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I would like to see the numbers as to how many people are using ad blockers, I'd be willing to bet it's a very low number, what do you all think? keeping in mind there are three kinds of lies, white lies, dammed lies and statistics.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I wonder, if Youtube gets tired of fighting this, and being considered criminal for using ad blocker detecting software, if they will at some point just give up on ads as a source of revenue to sustain youtube and servers and just lock it down to a paid per view service permanently. :unsure: I mean if everyone pushes it until something gives, they should be careful what ask for.
Youtube is owned by Alphabet like Google, Alphabet giving up on ads as a source of income is as likely as celebrating Easter and Pentecost on the same day :unsure:

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Youtube is owned by Alphabet like Google, Alphabet giving up on ads as a source of income is as likely as celebrating Easter and Pentecost on the same day :unsure:
How is it a source of income if everyone blocks their ads and countries nail them with court fees and fines for trying to stop it 🤔

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

How is it a source of income if everyone blocks their ads and countries nail them with court fees and fines for trying to stop it 🤔
You got a point there, I would probably also worry when my company would show results like Alphabet (see pic below)
Maybe we should start a crowdfunding action to support Alphabet for the loss of ads income? ;)
1700083580996.png

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

You got a point there, I would probably also worry when my company would show results like Alphabet (see pic below)
Maybe we should start a crowdfunding action to support Alphabet for the loss of ads income? ;)
View attachment 279738
Wonder how much it cost to maintain the server farms :unsure: Devs, engineers, so forth, maybe you could start that page for them.
Better yet, since you have your masters as you stated, you could work for free, as you expect their services to be.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Well already doing some work for free (foundation dedicated to helping people "with a distance to the labour market" to acquire basic IT skills).

I promiss that when that foundation acquires more money in a year than Google makes in an hour, I will offer my services for free to Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.