Technology YouTube tests ways to stop ad blockers: what to expect

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
First, it’s unclear yet whether this new policy, which is already ruffling feathers online and, if we’re going to bet, is set to be extremely unpopular with users, is going to stick. YouTube will undoubtedly be monitoring the reaction to the “experiment,” and if it sees a mass exodus, especially of casual viewers unwilling to shell out $11.99 a month, it may want to stop the experiment in its tracks.

If YouTube decides to make the ban on ad blockers part of its standard policy, then users should brace themselves for some turbulence. Ad blockers and YouTube will be locked in a perpetual game of cat and mouse, trying to outsmart each other. And, since ad blockers have been refining their techniques for evading detection for quite some time, it’s unlikely that YouTube could enforce a blanket ban without a resistance from ad blockers, and a strong resistance at that.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Users of the popular content blocker uBlock Origin need to open the uBlock Dashboard with a click on the uBlock Origin icon and the selection of the Dashboard icon in the interface that opens.

There, they need to switch to the My filters tab, paste the four lines into the text field and select apply changes to add the instructions to uBlock Origin.

YouTube should not display the prompt anymore after the changes have been made. Open YouTube tabs need to be reloaded though.

Please note that Google may modify its code and this may require different instructions to block the new prompt from displaying. For now, this code bypasses the anti ad blocker warning on YouTube.

Bonus Tip: third-party YouTube clients such as FreeTube or YouTube apps for Android do not show ads as well.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I checked Youtube just now, there were no adblocker problems and it did not tell me to buy a subscription. Maybe it will leave me alone because my wife and I already pay for Youtube TV. I do use Youtube and Youtube Music a fair amount I guess, mostly to audition new albums or singles I run across on other music forums. I use Adblocker Ultimate because Ublock sometimes will block content on a few of my music sites. If I get pestered to pay for Youtube Music I will try the Ublock solution and add filters for the other sites. If all else fails I will go back to Spotify. I will not pay anything extra just to see a music video on Youtube.

C.H.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Advertising on YouTube is annoying and long in itself. A two-minute commercial at the beginning of the video, constant interruptions for half a minute during the entire video, and sometimes advertising takes up 50% or more of the entire video. And if you watch at least 10 videos on different channels to which you are subscribed, then there may be ads in general - from 30 minutes or longer. It's just an advertising storm. YouTube will lose a large number of users. Is Google really that greedy?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Advertising on YouTube is annoying and long in itself. A two-minute commercial at the beginning of the video, constant interruptions for half a minute during the entire video, and sometimes advertising takes up 50% or more of the entire video. And if you watch at least 10 videos on different channels to which you are subscribed, then there may be ads in general - from 30 minutes or longer. It's just an advertising storm. YouTube will lose a large number of users. Is Google really that greedy?
A lot of the ads are placed by content creators as well. It’s not just Google that is greedy.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
A lot of the ads are placed by content creators as well. It’s not just Google that is greedy.
Not all content creators implement advertising (I mean they advertise something in the video themselves), and many implement no more than 1 advertisement lasting approximately 1-1.5 minutes, besides, even this advertising insert can be fast-forward and not look. Only famous bloggers with hundreds of thousands of subscribers record 3 or more ads in their videos.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Newpipe APK
Revanced APK
YTvanced

Also According to Google BARD which is a GPT3 competition this is how you bypass Youtube Ad Blocking:

There are a few ways to bypass YouTube ad blocking.

• Use a VPN. A VPN, or virtual private network, can be used to change your IP address and make it appear as if you are located in a different country. This can be useful if you are trying to watch YouTube videos that are not available in your region. Some VPN providers also offer ad blocking features.
  • Use an ad blocker. There are a number of ad blockers available for both desktop and mobile devices. These extensions or apps can block ads on YouTube and other websites. Some popular ad blockers include AdBlock, uBlock Origin, and AdGuard.
  • Use a paid YouTube subscription. YouTube Premium subscribers do not have to watch ads. This is the most reliable way to bypass YouTube ad blocking.
It is important to note that YouTube is constantly working to block ad blockers. As a result, it is possible that some of the methods listed above may not work in the future.

Here are some additional tips for bypassing YouTube ad blocking:

• Keep your ad blocker up to date. Ad blockers are constantly being updated to block new types of ads.
  • Use multiple ad blockers. Using multiple ad blockers can help to block ads that are not blocked by a single ad blocker.
  • Try different ad blockers. Not all ad blockers are created equal. Some ad blockers are more effective than others at blocking ads.
  • Be patient. It may take some time to find an ad blocker that works for you.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
I used vanced so my kiddo could watch COCOMELON and once vanced got blocked on the kindle I was forced to useyoutube for few days and boy I have to hover over him in order for him to watch anything. Its basically every 2 minutes a commercial pops in and gets annoyed and fussy. Now I use revanced and it works.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: Keyang556 and Zorro

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
It may be feasible in addition to trying adblockers, to get family subscription with few more buddies and split the cost.
It’s about £5/$5/€5 per person per month and includes music streaming as well. For people who haven’t got another music subscription active.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Comment from FanboyNZ:
These filters may not work (2 users confirmed it hasn’t worked), we’re still debugging the issue.

youtube.com#@##YtKevlarVisibilityIdentifier
youtube.com#@##YtSparklesVisibilityIdentifier
youtube.com##+js(set, __google_lidar_, 0)

Filters included in Fanboy Annoyances in uBO / Brave (force an update)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.