Technology YouTube tests ways to stop ad blockers: what to expect

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's definitely a contentious issue and it remains to be seen how users will respond to YouTube testing ways to stop ad blockers. If the experiment proves unpopular and results in a mass exodus, it's likely that YouTube will reconsider its policy. However, if it becomes part of its standard policy, users can expect a constant back-and-forth between ad blockers and the platform. Ad blockers have been getting better at evading detection for some time, so it's unlikely that YouTube will be able to enforce a blanket ban without some resistance from ad blockers. It's a game of cat and mouse that could continue indefinitely.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Here is a site where you can check if uBO has a fix already:
Is YouTube anti-adblock fixed yet?

At the moment, no...

Screenshot_20231020.png

But, uBO might still work:
If the latest ID (the last line) does NOT match the current one written above, it means YT has updated it recently and you may encounter anti-adblock again.
The keyword is actually may. It's not always that new ID = YouTube already counters. Sometimes it may not, and uBO still works with new ID despite not updating the filters.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I switch between Adguard and Ublock when one gets blocked other usually works (remove any custom/user filters and reset extension to default settings). Also restarting browser after deleting YT and google site data helps as well. Plus, don't forget to disable native browser tracking protection and ad blocks in other extensions like Enhancer for YT and Malwarebytes browser guard, etc.
Could be a regional rollout thing but rn I am watching YT without any issues for last 1 hour. Worked fine yesterday as well.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

disagree (really!) I find a lot of good content regarding science and other topics that is both informative and entertaining. I realized this early on (during the covid lockdown) and have paid premium YT and consider it worth the money. fwiw.
I have youtube premium as well, and enjoy it actually. I could pay separately for movie and music services, but see no point, when youtube music and youtube itself work just fine for me. Having it all ad free and able to minimize into the background as i do other things, and offline abilities are worth it.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Problem solved
Freetube uses Invidious as backend, it has support to add subscription from your favourite YTbers. You can even download your list of subscription from Google and add that list into Freetube.

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
Freetube uses Invidious as backend, it has support to add subscription from your favourite YTbers. You can even download your list of subscription from Google and add that list into Freetube.
Yeah but I like the OG YouTube interface. Even says premium lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231020-112658.png
    Screenshot_20231020-112658.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
When I use Chrome with uBlock Origin, I get the message from Google to disable my ad blocker; when I use Librewolf Private Browsing with UB, did not get Google message…yet.

Reactions: simmerskool

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
YouTube wants its pound of flesh. Disable your ad blocker or pay for Premium, warns a new message being shown to an unsuspecting test audience, with the barely hidden subtext of "you freeloading scum." Trouble is, its ad blocker detecting mechanism doesn't exactly comply with EU law, say privacy activists. Ask for user permission or taste regulatory boot. All good clean fun.

Only it isn't. It's profoundly depressing. The battleground between ad tech and ad blockers has been around so long that in the internet's time span it's practically medieval. In 2010, Ars Technica started blocking ad blockers; in under a day, the ad blocker blocker was itself blocked by the ad blockers. The editor then wrote an impassioned plea saying that ad blockers were killing online journalism. As the editor ruefully notes, people weren't using blockers because they didn't care about the good sites, it was because so much else of the internet was filled with ad tech horrors.

Nothing much has changed. If your search hit ends up with an "ERROR: Ad blocker detected. Disable it to access this content" then it's browser back button and next hit down, all day, every day. It's like running an app that asks you to disable your firewall; that app is never run again. Please disable my ad blocker? Sure, if you stop pushing turds through my digital letterbox.

The reason YouTube has been dabbling with its own "Unblock Or Eff Off" strategy instead of bringing down the universal banhammer is that it knows how much it will upset the balance of the ecosystem. That it's had to pry deep enough into viewers' browsers to trigger privacy laws shows just how delicate that balance is. It's unstable because it's built on bad ideas.

The rest

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.