Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Here lately when I play youtube videos they will start playing and just randomly stop then maybe 10 sec they usually start again then eventually stop again, it's very annoying and frustrating!
I have tried all kinds of stuff like updating flash, disabling certain extensions, disabling my hosts file, disabling my dns,trying different browsers and it keeps doing it...any help would be appreciated.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Hm... whats your internet speed? Mind posting a SpeedTest result?
It could be a buffering problem caused by your internet speed.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Here's what it is currently, but it's always different day to day

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2616359082.png

Upvote 0

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I see... that's a decent speed, Have you tried lowering the video quality to 480 or 360p?
I have a 50MB internet speed now and I buffer at times when running it at 720p.

Also (not sure) but I also think it also depends on your video card. Try lowering it to 360p and see if it continues.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I just reset my router and my speed is better...http://www.speedtest.net/result/2616466915.png
I'll try some videos and see if that had anything to do with it.

Yea I tried lowering the quality and it still did it.

Upvote 0

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
I've noticed the same thing happening with YouTube the last couple of days. Might be their servers having trouble, N. Korea tinkering with them - who knows.

Upvote 0

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Overkill said:
Here lately when I play youtube videos they will start playing and just randomly stop then maybe 10 sec they usually start again then eventually stop again, it's very annoying and frustrating!

In my opinion, your ISP is not giving you the speed you are paying for. If you really were getting the speed, speedtest shows, you would be able to watch any Youtube video without a problem no matter the quality. My speed is less than half the speed you posted and I can watch any Youtube video I want without any buffering problem. The difference is that I get what I am paying for.

I stopped believing in Speedtest a long time ago. I suggest you test your speed downloading files from different servers, for example, download Avira, Avast amd CCleaner and see what your download spped really is. Thats how I do it "to show my ISP" when they come over after I complain about speed problems. After reading your posts, it would not surprise me if you are actually getting maybe 20% of what you contracted.

In my case, when I have speed problems is usually between 7PM and 10 PM. People at my ISP know that they should not mess with me because they know that they cant come over and bs me with Speedtest results that are not honest. So, dont mess your computer changing this or doing that. Fix your ISP.

Bo

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There could be possibility that the hardware acceleration of Flash Player might be contributed you may try to disable it.

+ Seems that a specific browser might affected too so from your Original Post you didn't mention which are you using it.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
bo.elam said:
Overkill said:

In my opinion, your ISP is not giving you the speed you are paying for. If you really were getting the speed, speedtest shows, you would be able to watch any Youtube video without a problem no matter the quality. My speed is less than half the speed you posted and I can watch any Youtube video I want without any buffering problem. The difference is that I get what I am paying for.

I stopped believing in Speedtest a long time ago. I suggest you test your speed downloading files from different servers, for example, download Avira, Avast amd CCleaner and see what your download spped really is. Thats how I do it "to show my ISP" when they come over after I complain about speed problems. After reading your posts, it would not surprise me if you are actually getting maybe 20% of what you contracted.

In my case, when I have speed problems is usually between 7PM and 10 PM. People at my ISP know that they should not mess with me because they know that they cant come over and bs me with Speedtest results that are not honest. So, dont mess your computer changing this or doing that. Fix your ISP.

Bo

So far it hasn't gave me any issues since last night when I reset the router...on my desktops my speed is almost twice as fast as the laptop since it's connected directly so i'm pretty sure speedtest is pretty accurate. thanks

McLovin said:
Have you tried it in a different browser?

Yes as I said in OP, so far so good it's been doing ok today

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
jamescv7 said:
There could be possibility that the hardware acceleration of Flash Player might be contributed you may try to disable it.

+ Seems that a specific browser might affected too so from your Original Post you didn't mention which are you using it.

I've used chrome,IE and maxthon and iron which are the portable versions, i'll post again tonight but I think the router might have been the culprit, after resetting it my speeds are better and no random stops so far.

Upvote 0

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bo.elam said:

No, if you hit a congested YouTube server, you can very easily have buffering issues even if your connection supports quite higher transfer rates.

I don't watch broadcast TV anymore. I stream all of my TV watching. I have a 12mbps connection and with Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, or Netflix, I average 10-11mbps, which is more than adequate to stream 1080p without ever having to buffer.

But with YouTube, quite often I'm maxing out at 2mbps or less. If you try to watch HD at that speed, you're going to have buffering issues unless you kick it down to 480p or less.

If you never have buffering issues when running 720p or higher on YouTube, then you're either very lucky with Google's load balancers, or you live very near one of their server farms.

YouTube is definitely very slow a great deal of the time for me. It's nothing at all to do with my ISP.

Upvote 0

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
HeffeD said:
But with YouTube, quite often I'm maxing out at 2mbps or less. If you try to watch HD at that speed, you're going to have buffering issues unless you kick it down to 480p or less.

If you never have buffering issues when running 720p or higher on YouTube, then you're either very lucky with Google's load balancers, or you live very near one of their server farms.

YouTube is definitely very slow a great deal of the time for me. It's nothing at all to do with my ISP.

Heffe, I am in Central America, it is not likely that Youtube have a have a server around here. I am sorry if my experience don't match yours but that's how it is. This is my story, not yours, my speed is 5MB and I get 5MB, I watch a lot of videos and I never have a problem, except when the ISP plays games.

Now, I had a lot of fights with my ISP (a thief) in the past, because of my fights and connections that I have, NOW, it is rare when I don't get the speed that I am paying for. In the rare occasions that I don't get my speed, during the span of time that the speed drops, my Speediest results are about the same as when I get the correct speed. Thats why I don't trust results from the company named Speedtest.

So, yes, it could be the ISP.

Bo

Upvote 0

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Overkill said:
.on my desktops my speed is almost twice as fast as the laptop since it's connected directly so i'm pretty sure speedtest is pretty accurate. thanks

You didn't mention in your opening post that you were getting a better speed in your desktop than in your laptop. If you were able to watch videos without any problems in the desktop at the same time you were having problems watching the same videos in the laptop. Then, its obvious that your problem yesterday was not caused by your ISP but you didn't mention it yesterday. Anyway, I was just trying to help you.

Bo

Upvote 0

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bo.elam said:
Heffe, I am in Central America, it is not likely that Youtube have a have a server around here. I am sorry if my experience don't match yours but that's how it is. This is my story, not yours, my speed is 5MB and I get 5MB, I watch a lot of videos and I never have a problem, except when the ISP plays games.

I'm not doubting your experiences Bo, I'm just saying that if you get connected to an overloaded server, it doesn't matter how fast your connection is. Your speed is going to be limited to the amount of throughput available on the server, and your ISP can't do a thing about it.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sometimes its from the server itself responds thus buffering could reset even you have fast internet speed.

This practically speaking lower speed definitely more buffering and higher speed less buffering.

Youtube is visited everyday by million of users so you cannot prevent that their server may having trouble too.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
It messed up a little today but not near as bad as before, so I suppose i'm gonna blame youtube for now.

Upvote 0

kinzoo

Apr 14, 2012
My video was stopping an buzzing, mouse was erratic.
I disabled "Enable malicious website blocking" in MALWAREBYTES program and the problem is gone.
Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Imran

Level 1
Feb 27, 2012
You can install Network Speed Monitor. It will give you the idea of your downloading speed while playing the Youtube videos e.g if your downloading speed is lower than 700KB or 500KB it means that your internet is not responding well enough...and if your speed is 700+ then it means that your browser or your system is not performing well :)
It's just my thought ;)
My friend has 1mb internet connection and he has no problem while playing youtube videos at 360p :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.