Last updated
Feb 5, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
N/A
Real-time security
  • ESET Smart Security Premium v14.0.22.0
Firewall security
About custom security
None
Periodic malware scanners
AdwCleaner
ESET Online Scanner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge (Main daily Browser)
  • uBlock Origin
  • LocalCDN
  • ClearURLs

Mozilla Firefox
  • uBlock Origin
  • LocalCDN
  • ClearURLs
  • GreaseMonkey
Secure DNS
NextDNS
Desktop VPN
Windscribe
KeepSolid VPN
Password manager
ESET Password Manager
Maintenance tools
  • Windows Disk Cleanup
  • CCleaner (Rarely used)
  • SUMo
  • PatchMyPC
File and Photo backup
  • Drive Google
  • OneDrive
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper version 6.4.0
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Coding and development
Computer specs
  • Optiplex 7010
  • Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz
  • 16 GB RAM DDR3
  • 1 HDD 500GB
  • 1 HDD 300GB
  • 1 External HDD 2 TB
Notable changes
05/Feb/2021 Installed ESET Smart Security Premium
05/Feb/2021 Updated AOMEI Backupper to 6.4.0
05/Feb/2021 Removed Bitwared and replaced with ESET Password Manager
05/Feb/2021 Installed Mozilla Firefox
05/Feb/2021 Installed KeepSolid VPN
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

You can replace uBlock + ClearURLs with AdGuard. One less extension and AdGuard is available at Edge Store (y)
If you can live without the other addon, you can disable extern Stores which increase your security

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
You can replace uBlock + ClearURLs with AdGuard. One less extension and AdGuard is available at Edge Store (y)
If you can live without the other addon, you can disable extern Stores which increase your security
Thank you for the advice! for now i'll use uBo + ClearURLs cuz haven't any problems (slowdown/crashes/errors) using both.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Backup:
- Try Macrium Reflect or other, having more than one source of backup's can be crucial, can never have enough

Firewall:
- Try Tinywall or Malwarebyteds WFC, one is set and forget (former), one's notifications based (latter)

~LDogg

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
Backup:
- Try Macrium Reflect or other, having more than one source of backup's can be crucial, can never have enough

Firewall:
- Try Tinywall or Malwarebyteds WFC, one is set and forget (former), one's notifications based (latter)

~LDogg
Thanks for the advice, I am planning to add a second option for file and system backup, Macrium Reflect Free seems easy and reliable to use. about Firewall Tinywall is good and looks light and solid for me, i'll give a try!

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
Today I've changed my settings.

A familiar has given me a license (2 years) for ESET Smart Security Premium, so let's enjoy this suite for a while ;)

I have changed from Bitwarden to ESET Password Manager, for now it seems very good, its operation is identical to Bitwarden so there is no negative point so far.

I have installed Firefox and it seems that its performance and stability have improved a lot so far.

Comments and suggestions to "improve" my use with ESSP are welcome! (y)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Today I've changed my settings.

A familiar has given me a license (2 years) for ESET Smart Security Premium, so let's enjoy this suite for a while ;)

I have changed from Bitwarden to ESET Password Manager, for now it seems very good, its operation is identical to Bitwarden so there is no negative point so far.

I have installed Firefox and it seems that its performance and stability have improved a lot so far.

Comments and suggestions to "improve" my use with ESSP are welcome! (y)
There are nice about:config tweaks for improved privacy and security in Firefox. Start with those if you want:

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
There are nice about:config tweaks for improved privacy and security in Firefox. Start with those if you want:
Thank you! those tips will be useful (y)

If you are using ESET Smart Security Premium then I would suggest something else as your 2nd opinion scanner.
Good to see you keep the browser clean from extensions but do what @SecurityNightmares said.
for now uBo + ClearURLs are working without any problems or slowdowns. I think Adguard consumes a little more resources so for now I will be with uBo + ClearURLs.

Thanks!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.