YukiRed's Security Configuration (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
I would suggest that you look at backing up your OS and your personal data. Sooner or later you may get hit by some nasty malware that wipe out all your data.

While it may not be needed, I would suggest that you look at using a password manager so that you are not using the same password everywhere.

YukiRed

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 12, 2017
Have you done a custom config on ESET? If so care to share?

Since you test Malware inside a Virtual Machine, I assume it is fully isolated? Beware that if you still have it connected to host, things might escape. Been there done that.
The only differences I think is mostly used in-depth scan + manual clean + modifying the URL address list.
The rest I don't remember and don't prefer to share the config file

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
It is more efficient for CPU & memory usage. It comes with a better list of 3rd party filter lists you can enable. It also has no financial ties to the ad industry and there is no ad whitelist enabled by default, which a lot of people appreciate.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Eset, very nice. No backup!
I would suggest that you look at backing up your OS and your personal data. Sooner or later you may get hit by some nasty malware that wipe out all your data.

I would like to suggest a good free and reliable backup solution for you such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper. ;)
Good advice friend.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Normally backup would need to use an external drive?
Is there any alternative besides using an external drive for backup and cloud?
I do use an external drive but you can partition your system drive for doing backups. Their are also backup software that will setup a hidden partition for it's own backup image but it's been awhile since I've used them. I'll look in to it and post back.

I do use an external drive but you can partition your system drive for doing backups. Their are also backup software that will setup a hidden partition for it's own backup image but it's been awhile since I've used them. I'll look in to it and post back.
Macrium Reflect includes preboot setup, Aomei dosn't as far as I could see. Macrium Reflects free can be downloaded at Major Geeks. Well worth your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Implement some type of system & data backup solution.Those already mentioned are goo free options.
It is a good idea to backup important data to an external drive also even if you are using a cloud service.
Consider an additional on demand scanner(s).
Replace ABD+ with uBlock Origin.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello again @YukiRed. I've enjoyed these helpful suggestions, and also your question concerning an alternative to needing cloud use or an external drive (I've yet to get one of those for myself).

One free alternative you might consider is Rollback RX:
One can also find a wealth of solutions mentioned as well as many discussions & reviews on other software at Softpedia - Free Downloads Encyclopedia

If privacy is a concern while using your Chrome browser, go under settings >>> privacy >> and then check the box beside "Block third party cookies".

Additionally, and for greater privacy, consider changing the status of your Microsoft Account to "Local".
To do this, click on the <Windows button> in the lower left corner.
Click on your Windows <avatar>,
& choose "change account settings".
Then, below, choose "Log on with a local account instead".

This is an effective way to increase your privacy.

I read this from what one :sneaky:wise Oracle of MalwareTips once wrote!
*Gazes upward*:whistle: :)

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Never tried either one, don't have anything on my computer that thieves would profit from but you very well may. This is a smart bunch here at MalwareTips, definitely won't lead you astray. Give it a full try, do a backup first, if it doesn't suite your fancy, restore to the backup you created.

Good luck YukiRed.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@YukiRed: tagged Your config as Caution, since No Image System BackUpplease in Your system.

Consider the already mentioned suggestions about browser extensions and on demands scanners.

Please kindly reflect Your config changes editing Your 1st post, thanks :)

Last edited:

browneylad

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
Macrium & Acronis both are very fast. Macrium possibly tops it since the free version is recommended by everyone here & both types of backups incremental & so are very fast. Acronis is subscription based so great if you get one. I have an old version kept just in case. AOMEI & Easeus both offer giveaways so grab one sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.